1. Dagney Taggert

Dagney Taggert Green Belt

Ladies-

I hope I am not stirring up controversy by asking this question, this is a bit personal.

I train in BJJ (purple belt).

I have been on the pill for several years, and I am considering switching to the copper IUD. I am concerned about the rigors of BJJ knocking the appliance out of place. Do any of you use the IUD? And if so, has your training ever affected the placement? Please don't kick me off the board, I have been trying to get this question answered for months.

Dagney

2. BrandiJo

BrandiJo Master of Arts

I would think it would be fine, i havent ever used the Copper one, but i use Nuvaring and have never had issues with it falling out, or shifting to an uncomfortable position.

3. Dagney Taggert

Thank you for the response! That's good to know about the Nuvaring. I am trying to move away from the hormone factor, hence my interest in the IUD. I have been doing research on this subject on the various BC websites, but I was unable to find any concrete answers to my specific question. I really appreciate your feedback.

Dagney

4. Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress RAWR

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    You'll be fine, it will affect neither your training nor the device. I've had an IUD for about 3 years now. :asian:

5. Dagney Taggert

Jade-

Thank you! Finally! Answers! Ladies, I appreciate your candor. So far, my research has yielded very little, I am so glad I thought to venture here.

Dagney

6. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    Sadly I'm too old for birth control now (not good when friends are having babies and I get broody lol!) but this is a very good question, must admit it's something I didn't know anything about.

7. Ceicei

Ceicei Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Make sure what you get is correctly fitted to you for maximum comfort. A well fitted one will not stop you from rolling in BJJ. You should be able to forget it's there. If you can't, you might have to try a different type of BC.
    - Ceicei

8. NDNgirl4ever

NDNgirl4ever Green Belt

If the device is placed right, it shouldn't be a problem. However, if you are still concerned, ask your doctor or nurse midwife about it.

9. imitation_vanilla

imitation_vanilla Yellow Belt

I've had an IUD for years, and no problems with it. It's awesome, the 'set it and forget it' of birth control. I just started BJJ in December and am loving it.

I don't think there are any concerns whatsoever about practicing BJJ with one, but it's never a bad idea to ask your doctor.