Bin Laden is dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, let's see where you guys live. Should the president of the united states have ordered the raid that killed bin laden, knowing that the intel. was gathered using gitmo, black site prisons, waterboarding and other harsh interrogation techniques? What is your answer?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Okay, let's see where you guys live. Should the president of the united states have ordered the raid that killed bin laden, knowing that the intel. was gathered using gitmo, black site prisons, waterboarding and other harsh interrogation techniques? What is your answer?

I'll answer that with this:
In the 1940's the Nazi's did horrible things, evil thing.
We have their notes.
Should we use those notes in our current research?

Does the fact that a US soldier now can sprinkle magic dust on a wound and rapid-stop bleeding forgive the fact that the base research for that magic dust came out of WW2 German R&D that was tested on Jewish prisoners in the camps, many of whom were children?

I'm not arguing that using the intel was wrong.
I'm arguing that torture IS illegal, and that a nation that prides itself on being a leader can not at whim excuse itself from being held to those same laws.

So I repeat, it's ok to break the law if you deem it acceptable?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score

We don't know that the intel. was gathered using waterboarding and other harsh interrogation techniques. However, we have used data from Nazi experimentation on concentration camp prisoners. Our knowledge of how humans react to freezing is based almost entirely upon Nazi experimentation data where human beings were actually frozen-data that was obtained in an unethical, and brutal fashion.

There's still a great deal of controversy over its use. Intel obtained from torture should be no different.

So, in answer to that, yes, having obtained the data-however it was actually obtained-Obama, and those tasked with finding, capturing or killing OBL]-had an obligation to act upon it.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually, I would say we need to change the law. I believe in following the law, but I disagree with banning waterboarding so I say we need to change that law.

OP
Twin Fist

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It really amazes me that someone can make a case for the use of torture, at all. It is like rape. There really is no case where it is acceptable.

in your opinion

i will be sure to NOT save your life or the lives of your children with information gained from making someone listen to rosie o'donnel tapes 24/7

OP
Twin Fist

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
hell, boil those ****ers in pig fat, i dont give a damn about them or thier rights. They pick up a gun and shoot at americans on the field of battle?

some people have no grasp of the concept of "war"

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Apparently our friends in Europe are thinking that the attack on Bin Laden broke international law, quite a few times over. Hmmmmm, will you guys go up to the white house to make international citizen's arrests of the officials responsible for breaking international law. Since, all through this thread the international law on waterboarding was sacrosanct, it would seem to me you would be even more outraged over the invasion of a sovereign nation, the killing of unarmed civillians and the execution of a wanted criminal. Hmmmmm, what say you now young jedis....the article:

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/the-european-media-reacts-to-death-of-osama-bin-laden/

from the article:

European media, almost without exception, have focused particular attention on the news that bin Laden was not armed when he was killed by American operatives. Many Europeans have criticized what they describe as America’s “wild-west” concept of justice. Dozens of European newspapers have published lengthy philosophical essays by sundry intellectuals that examine the morality of bin Laden’s killing. Many argue that bin Laden should have been tried in a court of law.

. Many German analysts say the American action was illegal under international law and some Germans have called for an international commission (similar to the Goldstone Commission in Israel) to investigate the U.S. foray into Pakistan. Unanswered remains the question of whether European activists will accuse U.S. President Barack Obama of war crimes and seek a warrant for his arrest as they did for George W. Bush, who recently was forced to cancel a trip to Switzerland.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Waterboarding & torture violate BOTH US and International Law.

As to the sovereign nation argument, they are in fact probably correct, however there may be treaty or other clauses that would allow such.

But, the US doesn't worry much about treaties.

But, let me ask this:
Should an Israeli commando team be allowed to stage a rapid insertion, seek and capture, extract mission on oh, say Tulsa OK to capture a former SS commander or PLO general?
Without advance notice to our government, permission, etc?

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If they can get out of the country before we catch them sure. If we catch them they are subject to our laws and would have to suffer the consequences, I would wish them good hunting though.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, I am pretty sure that shooting unarmed civillians and executing an unarmed wanted criminal suspect is also against U.S. law and international law, and a lot more serious than waterboarding a terrorist. Hmmmmm?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If they can get out of the country before we catch them sure. If we catch them they are subject to our laws and would have to suffer the consequences, I would wish them good hunting though.
Not asking if you approve.

I'm asking if the US should accept foreign military operating -without permission- on it's soil against targets that include US citizens.

Better yet, should the US accept foreign military operating -with permission- on it's soil against targets that include US citizens.

Hell, should I have to worry about some French Commando knocking my door in because he got the address to the Surrender Plaze wrong?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I am pretty sure that shooting unarmed civillians and executing an unarmed wanted criminal suspect is also against U.S. law and international law, and a lot more serious than waterboarding a terrorist. Hmmmmm?
You're ok with waterboarding.

How about rape? Thumb screws? Honey and fire ants? Muzak Metallica?

Where's the line?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You're ok with waterboarding.

How about rape? Thumb screws? Honey and fire ants? Muzak Metallica?

Where's the line?
I get it though. You're fine with the US breaking the law at whim if they feel it's necessary.

I wonder if my local PD will buy that as an excuse. "Sorry officer, I know the speed limit was 55, but I didn't feel I should be bound by it because I had a triple bean burrito and it's barking bad!"

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I wonder if my local PD will buy that as an excuse. "Sorry officer, I know the speed limit was 55, but I didn't feel I should be bound by it because I had a triple bean burrito and it's barking bad!"

Now, Bob- a variant of that has actually worked for me, when I was going close to 95......Why were you going so fast?...I gotta pee! :lfao:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In summary:

US/International law outlaws torture.
Evidence collected by it is inadmissible in court.
No nation can at whim ignore international law and treaty when dealing with other nations.
Violators are subject to prosecution.

The rest, is simple people trying to justify a 'the results justify the means' argument...one I can not agree with.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I need to sleep...but, no rape and thumb screws are not right. Waterboarding is not harmful in either the short or long term, requires no violation of the body, other than a little water up the nose, which is non lethal, does not break the skin or bones, and does not create intense pain or psychological damage. Also, it has the added benefit of ending as soon as the murdering dirt bag decides to cooperate.

On a side note, Richard Miniter, in his book "Master mind," says that Khalid's favorite food, which he received after he was waterboarded and started cooperating, was the McDonald's Filet of fish sandwich. During his time with al queda, his nickname was kfc because he loved to eat kentucky fried chicken.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, I am pretty sure that U.S. and internatinal law does not condone putting bullets into unarmed civillians and unarmed criminal suspects either. Would you give the "go" order on this op. knowing the info. was from gitmo, black sites and waterboarding as well as other harsh interrogation techniques, as well as knowing that killing unarmed civillians in another soveriegn nation was against both U.S. and international law. Please, let's try not to spin that moral compass around too much.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"The ends justify the means"
Sith Lord Wannabe Dick Cheney.

What we are witnessing is an attempt to rewrite history to justify the unjustifiable. Defense of the Bush administration's decision to sanction torture as U.S. policy all boils down to a single argument: torture works. The ends justify the means. Former Vice President Cheney, with unequivocal support from Bush, made this exact argument in several interviews while he was in office.

The Bush administration's line of reasoning was then and is now deeply flawed for three critical reasons:
1) abundant evidence, which we will examine, suggests that torture is not an effective means of gathering actionable intelligence,
2) defining if something "works" is arbitrary and therefore subject to abuse and manipulation as a metric to measure viability, and
3) torture is immoral, even if the technique were proven to be effective.

Any one of the three points would undermine the argument supporting torture, but all three are true and, combined, provide overwhelming support for those opposed to the practice.

To claim that torture led to information that eventually led to bin Laden is not supported by the facts. Such a claim is nothing but a desperate attempt to cover up past criminality. The primary source from which we learned the name of bin Laden's most important courier (eventually leading to bin Laden himself) came from Khalid Sheikh Mohammed. But not when he was waterboarded repeatedly in 2003, during which he claimed consistently he did not know the name of the courier. No, Khalid gave up the name sometime between 2004-2005 long after his enhanced interrogation sessions ended. Jose Rodriguez, who was in charge of the Counterterrorism Center, makes a contorted effort to claim torture led to useful information from Khalid. But listening to his tortured justification is itself torture, a cringe-worthy explanation that reeks of desperation.
The Twisted Logic of Torture Envy

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A simple question: "go" or "no go" break U.S. law and international law or not, it is your decision now president (fill in the blank). I am closely watching your moral compass on this decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions