Billy Blanks

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is a pretty good cardio workout for people who do not have alot of time in their schedules though.

7sm

K

kenposcum

:shrug:
I was up late watching infomercials and the "New Tae-Bo LIVE!" came on. "Erp," I belched.
Some teensy weensy little thing in a leotard came on to extoll the benefits of Tae-Bo. "Erp," I belched again.
"And not only is it a great workout," this pretty little thing with the eyes big like Bambi's were big goes on, "but I know that if somebody tries to mess with me now, I can HANDLE them!(paraphrased)."
At this point the little misguided wisp clenched a fist and I proceeded to choke down a large mouthful of vomit(my own, that is).
The very idea that learning aerobic kickboxing, with no other training, could help one defend oneself, is so ludicrous I don't want to make a snide comment because I may laugh too hard. But some misguided individuals (potential McDojo fodder) seem to think that Tae-Bo is self-defense/fight training. And Billy makes zero effort to dissaude them from this idea. That's why he sucks. Plus his movies suck. Yeah, he could fight like a demon...but that's the one area he didn't suck at. Well, and money-making. He doesn't suck at that either.
:asian:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to agree with kenposcum on this one. The local YMCA teaches a class on areobic kickboxing that is so stupid it hurts to watch A local martial arts school also has one of "their own" creation. Both are half way good cardio workouts but my problem is they are promoted as Kickboxing and TaeKwoonDo workouts, and people take them and then tell me they have studied kick boxing and TKD.
It makes my blood oressure goo up a little to see the bull that is being passed off as a martial arts workout and not calling it simply what it is a cardio workout.:soapbox:

Ok this really is not talking about Mr. Banks but he had a lot to do with starting this current phase of nonsence.

Shadow

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by tshadowchaser

It makes my blood oressure goo up a little to see the bull that is being passed off as a martial arts workout and not calling it simply what it is a cardio workout.:soapbox:

Ok this really is not talking about Mr. Banks but he had a lot to do with starting this current phase of nonsence.

Shadow

That is true, but isn't it better to have tae bo than nothing at all? Or do you think it is creating a false sense of security?

7sm

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by 7starmantis

That is true, but isn't it better to have tae bo than nothing at all? Or do you think it is creating a false sense of security?

7sm

the way they advertise tae bo with all of the women saying how they feel they can take anyone down now, yeah, i think that many of them have a false sense of security. it's the same with women's self defense courses. we actally used to have one at our school, but decided to get rid of it for that reason. participants would show up for a couple weeks and would decide that they had enough skill and knowledge to be able to survive an attack on the street. it just winds up putting people's lives in danger.

it would be great if billy had a disclaimer saying that this stuff doesn't prepare you to really defend yourself, but i think he would lose a lot of his business if he actually stated that.