Bill Moyers - Buying the War - PBS this week.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
On my local Public Broadcasting Television station, this program will air this evening.

Bill Moyers takes his journalistic search for a verifiable truth and directs it toward the national news organizations actions into the lead up to the war. While there is a certain amount of fatigue in our society, I think this program may be worth watching. We expect to see Mr. Moyers assaulted as if he is Michael Moore from may on the extreme right.

Did you see it?

Thoughts?

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I haven't seen it yet, but it looks like it may be worthwhile. I think I'll have to time-shift it.

Also, like you seem to hint at, it wouldn't surprise me to find some that some supporters of the war (well, besides the ones in the Democratic Party of course) may try to make Mr. Moyers out to be like another Michael Moore.

If anyone is interested, here is a preview:

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/blog/2007/04/preview_buying_the_war.html

And a CommonDreams writeup:

http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2007/04/24/730/

I don't have independent or conservative takes on it though.

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mr. Moore is a polemicist.

Mr. Moyers is a journalist.

Both play an important role in democracy, but they are very different creatures. However, conservatives use "Michael Moore" as a code word and short-hand for a total write-off of thoughtful consideration. While that is not even a fair way to treat a polemicist, it becomes an attempt at an acceptable excuse. They shall attack the arguer, rather than the argument.

I have been attacked on this message board as one who "hates Bush". These un-thoughtful arguments prohibit the discovery of verifiable truth. And that is the goal of the journalist: to uncover the verifiable truth.

It will be very unfair to characterize Mr. Moyers as a polemicist, rather than a journalist. But it will be easier. And in that the truth may be obscured.

Latest Discussions