Bill Clinton helped Dubai on ports deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Please, explain more of your thoughts ....

According to this news report ....

President Clinton stated the UAE is a valuable ally. Hasn't President Bush made that same argument?

President Clinton suggested the UAE voluntarily submit to the legal process that is in place in the United States for these types of transactions. A process that had reportedly been short cut in the original transactions. So, President Clinton suggested they play by the rules.

President Clinton, as a former President, really doesn't represent any interests. Senator Clinton, has a very different role.

So, I guess I am asking .... what is your point?

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
P
So, I guess I am asking .... what is your point?
He's saying that a democrat using a wedge issue is wrong, while Republicans first saying all arabs are evil then saying that not all arabs are terrorists only when the port deal comes to light and that these good arabs should be entrusted with our ports means... Well, you should attack Hillary Clinton because you really don't want anyone paying attention to all that good old fashioned crow eatin' going on.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Amazing show of partisanship here.

If Bill thought that the deal was a good one, I can't think of how Hillary could have thought differently and remained silent as long as she did.

It is quite easy for me to believe that Hillary knows damn well that this has no impact on the security of the US, and yet milks it for all it is worth in order to attack the president and increase her own standing.

And it worked. 70 percent of the populace is against this deal. IN the thread here on martialtalk a few people openly changed their mind to accept the idea that this is not a threat to the US. That took a lot of charecter IMO. But of course, most of the US does not do that much research and so they get led around by the nose by a professional politician married to a man who helped set up the deal.

Just another example of the truth to the words that those that do nothing but work at getting into power have an advantage of those that don't.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Amazing show of partisanship here.

If Bill thought that the deal was a good one, I can't think of how Hillary could have thought differently and remained silent as long as she did.

It is quite easy for me to believe that Hillary knows damn well that this has no impact on the security of the US, and yet milks it for all it is worth in order to attack the president and increase her own standing.

And it worked. 70 percent of the populace is against this deal. IN the thread here on martialtalk a few people openly changed their mind to accept the idea that this is not a threat to the US. That took a lot of charecter IMO. But of course, most of the US does not do that much research and so they get led around by the nose by a professional politician married to a man who helped set up the deal.

Just another example of the truth to the words that those that do nothing but work at getting into power have an advantage of those that don't.

Except, according to the article, it is not clear that President Clinton thinks .... how did you put it ... "the deal was a good one".

article said:
He added that Mr Clinton supported his wife’s position on the deal and that “ideally” state-owned companies would not own US port operations.

It seems that he was asked by the management of the UAE company, how do we best get this to work, and he answered; submit to the process.

I'm pretty sure that former Republican Presidential Candidate Robert Dole was simliarly asked by the government of the UAE to assist in the transactions .... and there are some thoughts about his Senator wife opposing the deal.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
Except, according to the article, it is not clear that President Clinton thinks .... how did you put it ... "the deal was a good one".

Well, he did not say for them to stop....as some voices from that side have been saying. If I had not thought it was a good deal, I would have told them to back off.

As things stand, Hillary has gotten a lot more politcal capital and the rest of the world looks as the typical American as a racist forever thinking of every Arab as a terrorist. A columnist in today's IHT from the Middle East took the time to praise the open mindedness of Bush, but lamented the bigotry of the masses- bigotry that Hillary has flamed and used.

As for Dole, different story since his wife isn't running for office, eh?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Well, he did not say for them to stop....as some voices from that side have been saying.

'That side'? You're kidding right?

What side is that ... ex-Presidents?

Rep. Dennis Hastert - third in line to be President.
Rep. Duncan Hunter - chair of House Armed Services Committee
Rep. Katherine Harris - the woman who put Bush in the White House
Both Senators from Pennsylvania - Santorum and Spector

Can you tell me ... what "side" favors this transaction?

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh, I have called some Republicans gutless wonders for not standing up to the wave of xenophobia being raised. If they tried they would be buried under the 70 percent disaproval rating now standing for this deal.

But you look at the people fanning those flames and names like Clinton and Shumer come up the most and the best organized. It is they who have used this chance to try to grab anything they can label as "strategic". I think back to the term "public use" and remember the way that has eveolved over the years.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
But you look at the people fanning those flames and names like Clinton and Shumer come up the most and the best organized. It is they who have used this chance to try to grab anything they can label as "strategic". I think back to the term "public use" and remember the way that has eveolved over the years.

Anytime you wish to join reality, Don Roley, come on over. Democrats have 49% of the vote ... and 3 % of the political power.

What the two Senators from New York say is, for the most part, irrelevant to any actual policy that is enacted. They are two voices in a Congress that speaks with 535 voices, which then need to be filtered through the White House.

Democrats are the 'most and best organized'. .... What a fantasy world you live in.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
Democrats are the 'most and best organized'. .... What a fantasy world you live in.

How nice, an insult and a misrepresentation of what I said.

I pointed out the ones fanning the flames that are the best organized with their message. It does not matter how many people they have in congress, they only need to be coordinated with others and work best with the media sources clamouring for interviews.

And you merely need to look at the press confrences to see who is better organized in their attack and who is just trying to keep from being buried.

But if you want to insult me instead of debate, I guess that is just the way it goes.....

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
As things stand, Hillary has gotten a lot more politcal capital and the rest of the world looks as the typical American as a racist forever thinking of every Arab as a terrorist. A columnist in today's IHT from the Middle East took the time to praise the open mindedness of Bush, but lamented the bigotry of the masses- bigotry that Hillary has flamed and used.

It is funny how both sides can use the whole "fear the islamofacists!!!!!" card equally well. Of course, it's only lamentable xenophiobia now. Otherwise, it's dismissed as relativism.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
As for Dole, different story since his wife isn't running for office, eh?

What? They don't have elections in North Carolina? How'd she get to be a Senator?

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Oh, I have called some Republicans gutless wonders for not standing up to the wave of xenophobia being raised.
As a republican I am deeply offended by that statement. Although I never watched the series (Xena), I certainly wasn't phobic of it.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Moderator Note.
Please keep the discussion at a mature, respectful level. Please review our sniping policy. http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=314 Feel free to use the Ignore feature to ignore members whose posts you do not wish to read (it is at the bottom of each member's profile). Thank you.

sheldon bedell
-MT Moderator-

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Marginal said:
It is funny how both sides can use the whole "fear the islamofacists!!!!!" card equally well.

Except that Bush has been trying to work with and reach out to the goverments in the region. The work of people like Clinton has, according to the news I see here, made the entire US look like a bunch of bigots.

Oh, and I meant Dole was not even a possibility of being a presedential candidate, nor did her husband seem to have done anything for Dubai.

It is really sad the way some in the media and the enemies of Bush have used this to achieve a short term gain at the expense of the standing of the US in the Middle East. Hillary can gain points by pushing her bill to grab power. People may be pushed into voting for it for fear of the majority that are outraged over this non-issue and the elections coming up. And if they don't, they can be attacked in the elections coming up. Either way, Hillary and company gain. The big loser is America trying to deal with other nations.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You need some ice for that Kool Aid ...

The Junior Senator from New York, and her constitutionally restricted husband have all the power in the country and are manipulating everything.

Wow.

And you do your damned best to ignore the incredibly loud chorus of mainstream Republican lawmakers, Mayors, Governors, Congressmen and Senators .. .. not to mention the vast majority of the American People.

And blame it all on Hillary.

Don Roley said:
Oh, and I meant Dole was not even a possibility of being a presedential candidate, nor did her husband seem to have done anything for Dubai.

I don't think anyone has announced a candidacy for President yet. So you are making two assumptions. But, for those who read the news, they may have seen this.

REPOST) DUBAI WORLD HIRES DOLEFriday, February 24, 2006 - FreeMarketNews.com

CNN reported on air Wednesday that former Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole (R-KS) has been hired by Dubai Ports World to lobby for the approval of a deal that would give the company control of several major U.S. ports, RAW STORY has learned. CNN's Andrea Mitchell reports: "The Dubai-based company at the center of a controversy over the management of six U.S. seaports has hired former Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole to lobby on its behalf against bipartisan criticism of the deal, a Dole aide said Wednesday. The 1996 Republican presidential candidate was 'engaged' by Dubai Ports World shortly after lawmakers on both sides of the aisle began expressing their strong opposition to the deal, said Mike Galloway, an aide to the retired senator."

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Except that Bush has been trying to work with and reach out to the goverments in the region.

Well, yes. but then, Bush has always been pro money regardless of who is in control of that money.

The work of people like Clinton has, according to the news I see here, made the entire US look like a bunch of bigots.

Plenty of Republican senators are scribing such worthy notes to Bush as "Give our ports to Arabs? No! Hell no!"

It is really sad the way some in the media and the enemies of Bush have used this to achieve a short term gain at the expense of the standing of the US in the Middle East.

Kinda like invading iraq, but with less bombs.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
You need some ice for that Kool Aid ...

Did you miss post #14? More insults?

And you do your damned best to ignore the incredibly loud chorus of mainstream Republican lawmakers, Mayors, Governors, Congressmen and Senators .. .. not to mention the vast majority of the American People.

Because the leading voices do not seem to be from them, based on what I have seen on Japanese TV.

I do see Clinton and Shumer, etc. And it is of course in their best interest to attack the president while the other politicians run for cover. So yes, the Clintons have been the leading voices in attacking the deal and are the most visible for the rest of the world as they scream about dirty arabs.

It is so sad that politicians like Clinton use these types of things to benifit themselves instead of doing the right thing and educate the people. I can understand that anyone who tries to stand up to this is going to be smashed flatter than someone speaking against social security, but it is still sad to admit that I am an American as I see Hillary on Japanese TV speaking about the evils of foriegn ownership.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Marginal said:
Well, yes. but then, Bush has always been pro money regardless of who is in control of that money.

Just to be clear. The only person who has received money from the UAE, to the tune of 300,000 dollars, is named Clinton.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Did you miss post #14? More insults?

I did not miss post 14 ... and your continued claims against two individuals, when there are about 535 recognizable people speaking against this transaction speaks of bias.

Don Roley said:
Because the leading voices do not seem to be from them, based on what I have seen on Japanese TV.

Then I might suggest your broaden your horizons.

www.nytimes.com
www.washingtonpost.com
news.bbc.co.uk

Former President Bill Clinton is, as I understand it, an incredibly popular American figure, worldwide. So it may be possible that the Japanese news media 'bias' is toward the contradiction. But, you have been directed to enough other statements, from enough other politicians, and enough other sources, to gain a more correct understanding of what is happening in America. Your reluctance to accept this broader understanding is not based on opinion, it can only be based on rigidity of thought.

Now, I won't deny that politicians have a tendancy toward the camera ... John McCain has more Sunday morning news talk show appearances than anyone. On this issue, he is in line with the Administration, probably having to do (or at least feeding) with the rumors that Cheney will retire, and Bush will elevate him to veep.

The facts are, there are many very vocal Republicans. They are 'gutless wonders' and the Senators from New York are self-serving (using 'these types of things to benefit themselves'). Why isn't it Self-Serving for all of the Republicans mentioned? ---- that's not really a question. ----

Status
Not open for further replies.