Biggest martial art bs stories

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
Martial art seems to attract a lot of bs to it. I bought this up because I just saw some people genuinely convinced online that Donnie yen once beat up 8 men outside of a night club and sent them all to hospital with broken bones.

I thought it was pretty funny. Thought it’d be funny to share different stories of nonsense martial art stories you’ve heard

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Martial art seems to attract a lot of bs to it. I bought this up because I just saw some people genuinely convinced online that Donnie yen once beat up 8 men outside of a night club and sent them all to hospital with broken bones.

I thought it was pretty funny. Thought it’d be funny to share different stories of nonsense martial art stories you’ve heard
i once beat up six blokes in a night club, they stood there whilst i head butted their mate and were still stood there when it was there turn

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't know if it's true, but the Donnie Yen story made the Hong Kong TV news and newspapers.

OP
K

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if it's true, but the Donnie Yen story made the Hong Kong TV news and newspapers.
Uh huh because the news and the papers are always trustworthy. Sounds like a nice bit of promotion for a Donnie yen movie

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My favorite was Joe Macci talking about the Jessie Smollet case and how it was revealed to be a hoax. He said something along the lines of:

"I win all my fake fights. Like the other night, a group of twelve guys were bullying me in a bar. So I beat them all up and then had carnal relations with their girlfriends."

I paraphrased a bit, but that was the jist of it.

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Mine is not really a story more than hearing the misplaced arrogance of another man. He claimed he can defeat me in a fight because he trained in Wing Chun. Now, there's legitimacy to his claim, right? He trained in a martial art and I didn't. Of course he can beat me. But here's the kicker... He was self-taught.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bart Vale based his career on his shoot fighting prowess.

But didn't mention it was the Japanese equivalent of wwe.

Black Belt hall of fame.

Last edited:

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Learn MMA or BJJ and you can dominate every other style always.

But ignore the vids where they get their butts handed to them and sometimes get killed by untrained fighters.

Now that is some old school MA b.s.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Which would only be relevant if anybody claimed that kata were the only useful tool.

It's relevant because kata is being claimed to be a useful tool period. Again, if we have effective and successful martial arts that don't use kata (some would argue that the kata-less MAs are more effective and more successful than the MAs that do contain kata), then clearly kata is an unnecessary and antiquated training tool.

OP
K

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
Which would only be relevant if anybody claimed that kata were the only useful tool.
The reason I haven’t responded to that comment is it’s obvious it’s just seeking attention. Posting that on a martial art forum is obviously done to antagonize people and start arguments

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The reason I haven’t responded to that comment is it’s obvious it’s just seeking attention. Posting that on a martial art forum is obviously done to antagonize people and start arguments

Riiiight, because there isn't multiple levels of evidence to prove the assertion correct. :rolleyes:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's relevant because kata is being claimed to be a useful tool period. Again, if we have effective and successful martial arts that don't use kata (some would argue that the kata-less MAs are more effective and more successful than the MAs that do contain kata), then clearly kata is an unnecessary and antiquated training tool.

People recover from infections without antibiotics. So clearly antibiotics are an unnecessary and antiquated treatment tool.

You've always insisted that just because kata wasn't useful you, it can't be useful for anybody. Doesn't that attitude ever strike you as... I dunno... arrogant? Idiotic? Ridiculous?

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
People recover from infections without antibiotics. So clearly antibiotics are an unnecessary and antiquated treatment tool.

Yes, let's compare medicine and infections to training methods. Bad analogy is bad.

You've always insisted that just because kata wasn't useful you, it can't be useful for anybody. Doesn't that attitude ever strike you as... I dunno... arrogant? Idiotic? Ridiculous?

Then please explain why someone taking Karate for example needs kata, while someone who practices Muay Thai doesn't, yet Muay Thai is never viewed as an inferior martial art.

Latest Discussions