"Biggest loser" good for business.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
The latest series of 'the biggest loser' has started over here and this time they have a new trainer. She is a 5th dan tkd instructor and trains the biggest losers using tkd in her dojang. On occasion the students wear their uniform and white belt and she trains them and gives them hell. It is giving tkd even more publicity and Ive heard the eliminated contestants doing their radio interviews the day after elimination really saying some positive things regarding tkd as a means of health, fitness and self defence. And surprise, surprise....we have an influx of new white belts at the club, its great for business. Hopefully the producers of the show in the US have this idea as it can really give business a boost despite all the economic crisis and such.

Kylz

White Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like your club has really benefitted from the biggest loser!
First up, I don't watch biggest loser as I'm always either at the gym or still at work but I have just taken up tkd this term. I had boiled it down to either tkd or ninjutsu over the xmas break, tkd was the winner for the sole reason that it's walking distance from my gym and ninjutsu was unfortunately difficult to get to. I was actually suprised to discover that on my first day that I was only one of two beginers! The rest of the class is made up of an assortment yellow belts which is great for me! I was expecting to see a whole heap of people influenced by biggest loser turn up but then again, it's only about a 20 minute drive to the nearest Hall's if that!

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've only seen one entire show, and it was the reunion of all of the winners since the show started. Each shared their story and how they were doing now. I found it pretty inspirational and very positive.

I don't watch the regular shows because I really dislike the reality show format, but I think that the show does good things for a lot of people. Good to see that the benefits of martial arts are now being utilized to help people regain control of their lives. I'll have to start watching the show now Ralph.:)

Daniel

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am happy to hear when these things happen and the actual program (TKD) gets another look.

I get all squirmy though when organizations try to capture 'the market' by altering the program. (Kisado comes to mind...)

Latest Discussions