Bigger is better, but a .25 in the hand...

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
...beats the .45 left at home!

This is actually a spinoff of kenpotex's thread, but it does bring up some interesting points.

I can still remember a fellow in Florida, who owned a pawn shop, and had to use his .25 to stop a crazed madman wielding a sword. It was even more chilling to know that this happened to someone I knew from the old rec.guns Usenet discussion group!

http://www.sptimes.com/News/092700/Citrus/Gun_purchase_turns_in.shtml

Police say Fitzsimmons, 25, arrived at Crazy Dave's A-1 Pawn & Jewelry on the scheduled pickup day Tuesday with a sword and stabbed store owner Dave Phillips through the midsection.

Phillips retreated to a rear room of the pawnshop where he grabbed a pistol of his own and shot Fitzsimmons at least once in the head, said Crystal River police Chief Jim Farley.

And from a followup article, which shows how crazy Fitzsimmons really is (was):

http://www.sptimes.com/News/092800/news_pf/Citrus/Attacker_with_sword_d.shtml

According to Police Sgt. Mike Klyap, Fitzsimmons went to the store to pick up a handgun he bought last week. Phillips told police that Fitzsimmons was acting strangely and he didn't want to give him the gun, Klyap said Wednesday.

Fitzsimmons got angry, told Phillips he was a "ninja," and walked outside to his car. He returned swinging a samurai sword, Klyap said.

Poor Dave ended up with a couple feet of cheap steel crammed into his GI tract. He lived, though, since he had access to that .25 when he needed it (in his pocket).

He'll be the first to tell you, that he was unable to grab the Glock pistol that was close to him, or some of the other firearms that were within close distance, due to the fact that the lunatic was swinging away. You might be able to find his posts on the Usenet archives under the name of "flimflam" and learn a chilling insight into the situation.

In the meantime, here's the original thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec....b1b2e6e0c150ba?q=flimflam+crystal+pawn&lnk=nl

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes it is better to have something in hand than not in the moment of truth!
icon6.gif

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A .25 in the hand is better than a .45 in the bush.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
A .25 in the hand is better than a .45 in the bush.
I am so NOT going near that one...:ultracool

On a serious note:
While I agree that a poodle-popper that you have is better than the hand-cannon in the safe, I don't believe we should use this idea as a "justification" for carrying sub-optimal weapons. It drives me nuts to hear someone say "yeah I carry a kel-tec .32 'cause my glock isn't comfortable" (you want some cheese with that whine? :rolleyes: ). Unless you are forced to carry a tiny gun due to the requirement for deep-concealment, you should carry a real pistol...that way you don't have to worry about "the little one you have instead of the big one at home."

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
if you carry the weapon right and its one you are comfortable there is no reason why you would ever be carrying any thing EVER smaller then a .32acp!! and personally I would suggest you make that minimum bore diameter closer to 9mm/.38. and of course a good .45 is one of the very very best in a pistol ever made for real combat where if you loose you will die.

Latest Discussions