Between Judo and Wrestling for police..

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As for the last bit sorry you have no clue and the arrogance evidenced in that last statement is actually quite stunning. You are the one who doesn't understand, though you were unknowingly half right. The majority of municipalities do not prioritize safety. They put one man cars on the street and almost never have officers trained in proven DT systems, only on how to use the tools on their belt. They also rarely do scenario training so officers have at least half a clue as to how a seemingly innocent scenario can go sideways because to make these corrections costs money.

Well that's all the way exactly right. Isn't it. DT is not designed to protect the individual from assault. It is designed to protect the organisation from cost.

And that is the system you are defending.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No worries. Regardless, I would expect that yes, you would prefer not to go to the ground, but obviously, things happen as you noted. As such, one had better know what they are doing there.

FYI, I know the Gracies are not the end all be all to DT, or to MA in general. I just remembered this video in the context of your comments.

Just saw this one. Which is an interesting twist on that same situation.