Between class training

fatninja

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, Through a set of circumstances and schedule changes, I have not been able to go to class, this weekend being no exception, do you guys have any suggestions as to what I can do at home?, I know I have to work on my rolling, which I do at work during slow periods, I do stretching and also Sanshin, but everything else I learned in class would require another person, any suggestions?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Practice what you've already been taught. Home is for practice, the dojang is for training.

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You must have learned some fundamental arrays...postures, bases, stances, series of movements strategically linked...work your fundamentals.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anything you do on a partner you can also do in the air. Sure it may be not as a with a partner but it's better than nothing even with grappling you can practice in the air just visualise a partner and go through your moves, obviously you can't learn grappling without actually rolling (so don't jump down my throat jiu jitsu guys lol ) but it's better than nothing

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Practice what you've already been taught. Home is for practice, the dojang is for training.
The OP is studying at a Bujinkan school, and most of what they cover in class will be two-person exercises which are harder to practice solo.

Fatninja - I know you're relatively new to the art, so I'm not sure what you've learned so far. In addition to ukemi, you can practice stepping and moving while maintaining fundamental stances.

If you've learned any sequences which are primarily striking based (ex. fade back at 45 degrees into ichimonji to avoid incoming punch, strike the incoming arm, step forward with lunge punch), you can practice those without a partner pretty easily. Just visualize where your partner would be to get your angles right.

If you've learned sequences which are more grappling based (ex. applying a wristlock against a lapel grab), you can still walk through the sequence rehearsing your footwork and body movements. You won't get the crucial feedback of feeling how your partner's body reacts, but at least you can get the basic choreography of your own body sorted out so that in class you can devote more brain power to feeling how your partner reacts and less to remembering how your own feet should move.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey guys, Through a set of circumstances and schedule changes, I have not been able to go to class, this weekend being no exception, do you guys have any suggestions as to what I can do at home?, I know I have to work on my rolling, which I do at work during slow periods, I do stretching and also Sanshin, but everything else I learned in class would require another person, any suggestions?

I would suggest asking that excellent question to your instructor. Probably the best source of knowing what you can work on alone and what he or she thinks you need to be working on.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I may use a different term. You

- go to school to learn.
- come home to train/practice.

most of what they cover in class will be two-person exercises which are harder to practice solo.

Solo training = partner training without partner.

This is how to "develop" skill in school.

This is how to "test" skill in school.

This is how to "polish" skill at home.

This is how to "enhance" skill at home.

Last edited: