Best way to learn Japanese for the total beginner?

K

Kimpatsu

Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
Good tips. Thanks! :)

The 2 lines I tried to translate were

which I got as "Jealosy Fire fury ??? back in ???"

and

Which I loosely got as "I ?? jealousy storm Queen Beryl" which makes no sence to me.

I need a babel fish. :)
"Ikari wo komete" means "angrily", or "with anger".
"...wo komete" means "With (emotion)", so, for example, "Aikokushin wo komete, tatakai ni hairikonda"
"Burning with patriotism, he threw himself into the thick of battle".
HTH.

K

Kimpatsu

Originally posted by KumaSan
Yeah, trying to learn kanji pretty much sucks. "Officially" there are either 1600 or 1900 or somewhere around there (I can't remember exactly). Really there are about 10 bazillion in common use. And they all have at least 2 ways to read them, onyomi and kunyomi. A word that you spell the same in romaji can mean a dozen different things depending on which kanji are used. When I lived there I knew a couple hundred, now I remember like 6. We're planning on moving back in a few years, so I better start studying again soon...
Once you've learned the first 1,000, the rest get easy. I promise.

K

Kimpatsu

I've just seen the full quote:"Jealousy Fire ikari wo komete
Jealousy Fire hitomi no oku de moeagaru
Nikushimi no yatsura kara ai no Energy ubaitore"

Let's tidy it up:
Ikari wo komete
Hitomi no oku de moeagaru
Nikushimi no yatsura kara ai no Energy ubaitore

Translation:
The very roots of her eyes blaze with anger
Steal the energy of love from the jealous person
---
HTH.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting...thinking about it, it makes sence.

Thank you. That particular things driven me nuts for over a year. (I listen to way too much anime stuff...heh)

K

Kimpatsu

Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
Interesting...thinking about it, it makes sence.

Thank you. That particular things driven me nuts for over a year. (I listen to way too much anime stuff...heh)
YOU watch too much anime?
My first ever professional translation job was manga. (Many moons ago, now, though.)
I know I've only just arrived on the boards, and have a lot of catching up to do (I see my good friend Robert Rousselot has already translated the grading certificate), but if you have any questions, feel free to ask.Best,

T

twinkletoes

I majored in it in college. I figured that was the best way to learn.

Instead it was the best way to meet pale, white guys who watched too much anime and drooled over every asian girl that walked by.

I switched to philosophy :)

~TT

K

Kimpatsu

Originally posted by twinkletoes
I majored in it in college. I figured that was the best way to learn.

Instead it was the best way to meet pale, white guys who watched too much anime and drooled over every asian girl that walked by.

I switched to philosophy :)

~TT
So how much Japanese did you learn in the end?

T

twinkletoes

After 2 years of intensive study, with language classes everyday, I was pretty decent at one point.

When I stopped, I could mostly "get the gist of it" when reading newspaper ads & articles. Conversation was not too bad.

However, that was a few years ago now. I have not had much opportunity to use it, and in the meantime, I have used spanish on several occasions. Now my brain has slipped back into spanish! It makes it harder for me to rattle of the ol' nihongo the way I once could.

All in all, if I met someone Japanese (in person), I could at least get through introductions without embarassing myself too badly. However, I wouldn't last long after that. Ido find, though, that if I start into it, even for a few minutes, I start to come out with things I didn't think I remembered.

~TT

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
The hardest job in the world is a japanese skywriter....

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The hardest job in the world is a japanese skywriter....

That would suck.

I did a high school student exchange to Japan last year (between senior year and college) - it is the best way to learn. I picked up 500 kanji and became virtually semi-fluent (to the point that English was difficult). I haven't spoken it in a few months though, and though my reading is still fine, my conversation sucks. I'm very, very annoyed (especially since there are very few Japanese at my college).

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
Kaith, any luck with the Japanese?

Haven't had a chance to really do much in eons. :(

M

MisterMike

I've been using the Pimsleur audio lessons.

There are three levels, each with 30 lessons.

I'm about half way through level I and now I can ask people to come drink with me. Hehe, no, honest, they are really good.

Each level goes for about 250 bucks, or less on eBay...and even less on eMule ;) :D :D :D