Best style for a big guy?

JMac59

White Belt
Reaction score
I’m thinking of taking up martial arts, and was wondering what would be a good style for me.

I’m a good sized guy, 5’10”, 220. I’ve been lifting weights for a long time and am fairly strong (can bench more than my weight). The problem is, I’m neither very fast nor terribly athletic.

For that reason, I’m thinking that a style like TKD, or anything that features a lot of high kicks and such would not be suitable. I’d prefer a style that emphasizes strength over speed. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m think of taking up martial arts, and was wondering what would be a good style for me.

I’m a good sized guy, 5’10”, 220. I’ve been lifting weights for a long time and am fairly strong (can bench more than my weight). The problem is, I’m neither very fast or terribly athletic.

For that reason, I’m thinking that a style like TKD, or anything that features a lot of high kicks and such would not be suitable. I’d prefer a style that emphasize strength over speed. Any thoughts?

Thans in advance.
I guess that it depends on what is local to you. I wouldn’t worry too much about high kicks; my students can’t kick above the waist when they start. Check out the local schools and see what fits.

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I’m thinking of taking up martial arts, and was wondering what would be a good style for me.

I’m a good sized guy, 5’10”, 220. I’ve been lifting weights for a long time and am fairly strong (can bench more than my weight). The problem is, I’m neither very fast nor terribly athletic.

For that reason, I’m thinking that a style like TKD, or anything that features a lot of high kicks and such would not be suitable. I’d prefer a style that emphasizes strength over speed. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
I think you would do good with grappling arts like judo or bjj. You are a good size for judo, not too tall but tall enough to have a big advantage throwing others in your weight class who are taller. Grappling arts can be complicated and technique and experience and knowledge are the biggest advantages someone could have. But your size and strength would be a good advantage too in something like judo. Strength does matter in grappling. Even though technique is more important.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
’m a good sized guy, 5’10”, 220. I’ve been lifting weights for a long time and am fairly strong (can bench more than my weight). The problem is, I’m neither very fast nor terribly athletic.
How did you get strong? I bet it was from training weights for a long time (good guess, huh?). If you train speed and overall athleticism the same way, you will achieve them as well. With these three physical qualities you can do well in any art. Just add dedication and technical execution for the full package.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem is, I’m neither very fast nor terribly athletic.
Unless you have great tenacity, you should consider something other than a martial art since they do require speed, agility and flexibility. You may develop these traits with continued practise over years and decades, but the perseverance required to do so may be overwhelming and likely lead to you giving up within a few weeks/months and distress to you. Martial arts are very difficult at the best of times which is why so few of us practise them to any great standard or duration.

How about whittling? Or marquetry?

Latest Discussions