Best side kick I have seen on Youtube

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No because the level of instruction and knowledge is worse. If you don't know better, you won't kick better.
Wouldn't the video that you posted to start this thread prove otherwise? Since it's a shotokan practitioner who has a good sidekick, so therefore the instruction and knowledge was there?

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No because the level of instruction and knowledge is worse. If you don't know better, you won't kick better.
Sorry, but TKD is not the only art in the world that knows how to kick. There happen to be quite a few different arts that are pretty good at kicking and have produced amazing kickers.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wouldn't the video that you posted to start this thread prove otherwise? Since it's a shotokan practitioner who has a good sidekick, so therefore the instruction and knowledge was there?

I see it from time to time and there is usually a rational explanation. The most common one is that they have done the other art as well.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sorry, but TKD is not the only art in the world that knows how to kick. There happen to be quite a few different arts that are pretty good at kicking and have produced amazing kickers.

I have seen enough poor hip mechanics for kicking in Shotokan to last me a lifetime.

I have also seen awesome ones like this gentleman. Guess which was more common?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Then do you think the guy in the initial video has also trained TKD?

I have no idea but it would make sense because he is an outlier. You can see Sensei Seth on Youtube.. He had a clear TKD flavor to his spin kicks and he did indeed start in Taekwondo.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
But the actual mechanics. If you looked in a handbook for each of them, you would see the same kicks, and it just comes down to how well an individual a:is taught it and b: practices.

That does tend to be the case. But I haven't gotten enough of a sample of it to confirm that conclusively

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have no idea but it would make sense because he is an outlier. You can see Sensei Seth on Youtube.. He had a clear TKD flavor to his spin kicks and he did indeed start in Taekwondo.
Cool. So is your purpose in posting it trying to find out whether he's an outlier, or a TKD guy in disguise/former TKD guy?

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have seen enough poor hip mechanics for kicking in Shotokan to last me a lifetime.
The same could be said about TKD, Kung Fu, Muay Thai, Kickboxing or any other art that does kicking. Those are statements about the individuals training the arts, not about the arts themselves. And each one of those arts, Karate included, as been able to produce very good kickers. While TKD is good at kicks, they are not the only ones that are good at kicks.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The same could be said about TKD, Kung Fu, Muay Thai, Kickboxing or any other art that does kicking. Those are statements about the individuals training the arts, not about the arts themselves. And each one of those arts, Karate included, as been able to produce very good kickers. While TKD is good at kicks, they are not the only ones that are good at kicks.

No there is a difference. I have seen a lot of high level Karatekas with crisp punches but poor hips

Just like I have seen high level TKDoins with awesome hips but terrible punches.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have no idea but it would make sense because he is an outlier.
You claimed that since his kick was good, he must have trained in TKD. I was pointing out that there is no TKD showing up in his knife hand blocks at all. (I couldn't find the guys name or bio to know for sure what he trained...)

That said, it is foolish to think that only TKD can produce good kickers with proper hips.

Edited to put in the correct quote

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he didn't make any mistakes according to his own system, then it is 10/10.

Are you claiming to know exactly what system(s) he's trained in, and also that you're qualified to judge that system?

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you claiming to know exactly what system(s) he's trained in, and also that you're qualified to judge that system?
He is qualified to judge anything involving a kick of any kind... Just ask him, he will tell you...

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Two things.

First, a few have said it's not a 10 or implied it's not great. I'm interested to hear some critique. I mean, for the uneducated person like me, what's wrong with it?

Second, when I saw the title for the thread, I thought first of sidekick in the superhero sense, and thought this would be a video of someone cosplaying Robin or something. :D
Not a 10 for me. On a scale of 0 -10 with 10 being the best, I'm thinking that it's a 6 or 7. Here's what I'm looking at.

Leg strength 10 - The ability to hold the kick pose
Flexibility 10 - The ability to hold the leg up at that height.
Functional 5 - The first thing reaction that I got wasn't a thought . The first reaction was my body actually preparing to grab the leg. My muscles literally twitched because of how the kick doesn't return to chamber. It drops at the end which makes it perfect for catching that leg. I've always been taught to never fall into a kick like that.

I did a few side kicks myself to double check, to see if I have that same issue and I don't. Every kick came back and I never fell into bow stance either. For me that felt really awkward because my kicks always returned. I understand that systems aren't the same so I'm not saying his kick sucks. I'm just saying it wasn't a great side kick based on my how I was trained to do side kicks and functionally using side kicks.

With all of that said. The only reason to fall into a kick is set someone up, where you want them to grab your leg. If that's not your goal then I wouldn't recommend falling forward after a kick.