Best self defense handgun

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I used to love the Officers Model 45, fits my hand really well, it's my second favorite hand gun. But the cheap Raven 25 is still my favorite, the one that I'd choose if my life was on the line. I always carried it in my pocket.

77Wolfpack

White Belt
Reaction score
Firearms are a subject of which i am very educated on. Without jumping on a soapbox too much, i am a 23 yr combat veteran and 7 year member of Law Enforcement. So with that said, here is my advice: When looking at a Self-Defense handgun, we have to first answer the question of this being a Home Defense (HD) or a Concealed Carry Weapon (CW). The most important thing to remember when legally carrying a firearm is to understand what you are carrying. What i mean is the weapons capabilities. If discharged, you are responsible for where that round goes, and if you have a round that over penetrates your target and hits someone else, YOU are liable. With that said, know your weapon. For good penetration/power, some good calibers are .38 Spl, 9mm, .40 S&W and 45ACP. Always know what you are getting. Dont use target ammo as your carry ammo, as long as your state allows it, use a good quality hollow point. Research to make sure there are no laws restricting certain ammo. As far as what to buy, I have seen two glocks explode at the range, so i am apprehensive around those, but there are many good companies out there. Look at your budget but please save up for a quality weapon. Now as a HD weapon, your options open up since your may not have to worry about the size of a full size VS a compact or sub-compact. In cold weather i like my full size 1911, but my off-duty weapon is normally a S&W shield. This is more personal preference, but if there is anything you take from what all i am saying its you get what you pay for. Also for those of us who do carry, CW insurance is a really good idea. I make sure i have it because if s**t happens, i want to be protected from possible law suits and all the hassle im sure that will follow. Sorry for being a bit lengthy, but if anyone has an questions, please send me a message and i will share what i know.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Firearms are a subject of which i am very educated on. Without jumping on a soapbox too much, i am a 23 yr combat veteran and 7 year member of Law Enforcement. So with that said, here is my advice: When looking at a Self-Defense handgun, we have to first answer the question of this being a Home Defense (HD) or a Concealed Carry Weapon (CW). The most important thing to remember when legally carrying a firearm is to understand what you are carrying. What i mean is the weapons capabilities. If discharged, you are responsible for where that round goes, and if you have a round that over penetrates your target and hits someone else, YOU are liable. With that said, know your weapon. For good penetration/power, some good calibers are .38 Spl, 9mm, .40 S&W and 45ACP. Always know what you are getting. Dont use target ammo as your carry ammo, as long as your state allows it, use a good quality hollow point. Research to make sure there are no laws restricting certain ammo. As far as what to buy, I have seen two glocks explode at the range, so i am apprehensive around those, but there are many good companies out there. Look at your budget but please save up for a quality weapon. Now as a HD weapon, your options open up since your may not have to worry about the size of a full size VS a compact or sub-compact. In cold weather i like my full size 1911, but my off-duty weapon is normally a S&W shield. This is more personal preference, but if there is anything you take from what all i am saying its you get what you pay for. Also for those of us who do carry, CW insurance is a really good idea. I make sure i have it because if s**t happens, i want to be protected from possible law suits and all the hassle im sure that will follow. Sorry for being a bit lengthy, but if anyone has an questions, please send me a message and i will share what i know.
I find it interesting that you've seen 2 Glocks explode, given how rare that is. I wonder about the background to those two - do you know anything about them? It's always possible, of course, it's just a statistical fluke (somewhere, there's probably someone who had 2 Glocks in a row fail to perform, even with their general reliability).

77Wolfpack

White Belt
Reaction score
I find it interesting that you've seen 2 Glocks explode, given how rare that is. I wonder about the background to those two - do you know anything about them? It's always possible, of course, it's just a statistical fluke (somewhere, there's probably someone who had 2 Glocks in a row fail to perform, even with their general reliability).

The first glock i saw explode was back in 02 or 03. I remember the report of the weapon and a scream of the older fella. The polymer frame crack and sent plastic from the lower receiver flying. To be honest it probably scared the hell out of him, but i remember everyone on the range was looking at him as he was upset and said he had JUST bought it. It did cut his finger up a little bit. The second time (different range, maybe 09 or 2010),I'm assuming the genius dropped the weapon off the little range table assigned to his lane. Anyway the weapon discharged, the slide and lower came apart and sent the two pieces flying across the cement floor. Those are the only times ive seen a pistol explode like that. Had a Shift Sgt have his M-4 carbine explode back when i was on Active duty. That was due to a squib round and the next round was coming right behind it. That blow back burned his left cheek. I throw that last example in there to show catastrophic failings happen to different weapons, and im sure i would be apprehensive had i seem a Kimber explode.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first glock i saw explode was back in 02 or 03. I remember the report of the weapon and a scream of the older fella. The polymer frame crack and sent plastic from the lower receiver flying. To be honest it probably scared the hell out of him, but i remember everyone on the range was looking at him as he was upset and said he had JUST bought it. It did cut his finger up a little bit. The second time (different range, maybe 09 or 2010),I'm assuming the genius dropped the weapon off the little range table assigned to his lane. Anyway the weapon discharged, the slide and lower came apart and sent the two pieces flying across the cement floor. Those are the only times ive seen a pistol explode like that. Had a Shift Sgt have his M-4 carbine explode back when i was on Active duty. That was due to a squib round and the next round was coming right behind it. That blow back burned his left cheek. I throw that last example in there to show catastrophic failings happen to different weapons, and im sure i would be apprehensive had i seem a Kimber explode.
Thanks for sharing that. The first sounds like a significant defect (unless it was some highly defective round). The second, I'm wondering if it's possible to mis-assemble the Glock to make it easy to separate like that, or if something was wrong with it, because it shouldn't be able to come apart (obviously) like that. Clearly something was wrong with that one, because the firing pin block failed, at the very least. With any stories like either of those (regardless of the make) I wonder about the background of the weapon.

77Wolfpack

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that. The first sounds like a significant defect (unless it was some highly defective round). The second, I'm wondering if it's possible to mis-assemble the Glock to make it easy to separate like that, or if something was wrong with it, because it shouldn't be able to come apart (obviously) like that. Clearly something was wrong with that one, because the firing pin block failed, at the very least. With any stories like either of those (regardless of the make) I wonder about the background of the weapon.

The first could have been defective and the other could have had hot ammo. Because they werent my weapons, i dont know the full back story. I've seen pics of a NightHawk (1911 chambered in 10 mm) and read the story to go with it having a catastrophic "ka-boom", and thats a $3500+ pistol. I pray nothing like that ever happens to me or to a loved one. If it does, i may need a new pair of shorts.