Best entry to a takedown

OP
M

MartialArtist

I'm an outside speed-type wrestler. I like to set up my shots by circling a bit in either direction (depending on what foot I want planted) and I will either tap and go or lower my elevation and fake him and just plain juke him. The circling is very important so the opponent can't sugar foot and attacking at a good angle (and a bad angle for the opponent to defend against :D ) is what I do. Depending on the opponent, I might just be a pressure-type wrestler with arm drags, etc. A lot of the times, I could just overpower the guy. Get inside position, push the opponent forward in a quick, snapping motion and pull him back with one arm pulling his head down then shoot. Works if you're much faster and stronger than the guy.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by MartialArtist
I'm an outside speed-type wrestler. I like to set up my shots by circling a bit in either direction (depending on what foot I want planted) and I will either tap and go or lower my elevation and fake him and just plain juke him. The circling is very important so the opponent can't sugar foot and attacking at a good angle (and a bad angle for the opponent to defend against :D ) is what I do. Depending on the opponent, I might just be a pressure-type wrestler with arm drags, etc. A lot of the times, I could just overpower the guy. Get inside position, push the opponent forward in a quick, snapping motion and pull him back with one arm pulling his head down then shoot. Works if you're much faster and stronger than the guy.

If you are good just out of my reach, as a grappler I would probably be forced to shoot in or be on the defensive (which is why I took BJJ).

You're pushing and pulling sounds like Judo. I think all grappling is related so to speak.

One of my strategies to to use technique and ranges that I think are foreign to my opponent. So when you're in your circling either direction motion I "might" adopt some boxing footwork and just as a boxer steps "away and out of range from the opponents strikes (EXAMPLE: both left lead, A left jabs, B would step to the right, farther away for the opponent to strike and he needs to adjust "to you"), so you would need to circle towards me, possibly giving me the opening I'm looking for or use it to your advantage and maybe catch me at an agle that you see as advantageous to you.:asian:

OP
J

JDenz

The problem with that is grapplers can just back up taking away your angle. It isn't like wrestling where you always have to be moving forward and attacking.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by JDenz
The problem with that is grapplers can just back up taking away your angle. It isn't like wrestling where you always have to be moving forward and attacking.

Yea, I don't think enough as a grappler. I'm more of react to what to what I see, so it I could be set up easily. Thats why I stress learning to work from your back. I can't be the best at a submission from my back, I accept that. But I need to not get beat and move into something better.

: :asian:

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by akja
If you are good just out of my reach, as a grappler I would probably be forced to shoot in or be on the defensive (which is why I took BJJ).

You're pushing and pulling sounds like Judo. I think all grappling is related so to speak.

One of my strategies to to use technique and ranges that I think are foreign to my opponent. So when you're in your circling either direction motion I "might" adopt some boxing footwork and just as a boxer steps "away and out of range from the opponents strikes (EXAMPLE: both left lead, A left jabs, B would step to the right, farther away for the opponent to strike and he needs to adjust "to you"), so you would need to circle towards me, possibly giving me the opening I'm looking for or use it to your advantage and maybe catch me at an agle that you see as advantageous to you.:asian:
Well, in my experience in wrestling, it was what I was the best at. Juking people, schooling them with speed, etc.

In a more, combat related fight, I will not go around like that. When I'm tapping and go, if the person reacts fast enough, I can get a knee to my face or a cross or an uppercut. That's why I don't shoot long-range unless I knew I was going to finish it. I'm more of a striker, especially at longer-ranges, but I find it no problem to tranisition from striking to locking, throwing, or grappling. I'm not the best with my elbows, so I stay out of that range.

Of course, this is all on paper, and one cannot say what he'll do just by typing it. It should all be instinctive.

Arm pulling, dragging, etc. is found in all grappling arts, no doubt about it. Joint manipulation, locks, submissions, dragging, grappling. Found in every combat oriented style, whether it places emphasis on grappling OR striking.

OP
J

JDenz

I think that the best leg dive is the john smith single for MMA and Grappling. (leg dive= shooting from outside clinch)

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by JDenz
I think that the best leg dive is the john smith single for MMA and Grappling. (leg dive= shooting from outside clinch)

Outside clinch, you mean close enough to touch but not fuuly grab?

If so, I'm comfortable there, I like to control or manipulate the movement of their hands. Make them work to get their hands on me.:asian:

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by MartialArtist
Well, in my experience in wrestling, it was what I was the best at. Juking people, schooling them with speed, etc.

In a more, combat related fight, I will not go around like that. When I'm tapping and go, if the person reacts fast enough, I can get a knee to my face or a cross or an uppercut. That's why I don't shoot long-range unless I knew I was going to finish it. I'm more of a striker, especially at longer-ranges, but I find it no problem to tranisition from striking to locking, throwing, or grappling. I'm not the best with my elbows, so I stay out of that range.

Of course, this is all on paper, and one cannot say what he'll do just by typing it. It should all be instinctive.

Arm pulling, dragging, etc. is found in all grappling arts, no doubt about it. Joint manipulation, locks, submissions, dragging, grappling. Found in every combat oriented style, whether it places emphasis on grappling OR striking.

Getting knee'd or choked is the trade off for the shoot. If your aware you could learn to instinctively block the knee. You stop it in motion and he's yours.:asian:

OP
J

JDenz

I am talking outside hand range. it is a low leg dive. To low to really take a knee. Maybe a low shin but it would be hard to get hit. Probley take a shot or two on the finish but no one is going to be able to put serious power on it. Sakuaraba does a varation of it.

OP
B

bob919

a 1-2 to the face will set anything up nicely

Latest Discussions