Best Display of Western Martial Arts in Cinema?

Ken Pfrenger

Green Belt
Reaction score
I actualy liked the fighting in TROY. Don't know how authentic it is, but it looked very slick.

I am not a big Brad Pitt fan but I really enjoyed the fighting in Troy. I have read the Illkiad countless time so I was all prepared to hate this movie so I went in with the thought that it was inspired by the Illiad and not the Illiad.

Very, very stupid in some parts but....
I do think that they did a good job making Achilles seem like the ultimate killing machine that no man could stand against. His first fight in the film was incredible!

Ybot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
How about the Pugelism in "Far and Away" with Tom Cruz. Also, I am a hugh fan of fencing, or sword fighting in movies, so here is my list there:

1. Princess Bride- This is my favorite, not only for the wonderful Bob Anderson choreography, but that the actors had to do the fencing while saying complex lines in character. I always enjoy charater first even in my action movies, and to combine charater and action is best.

2. Le Bossu (1997)- Excelent sword work set in the French regency after the death of Louis XIV. Good movie too. This movie can be found sold in the US under the title of On Guard (though they didn't bother to change the title sequence on the DVD, On Guard is just on the DVD case).

3. Cyrano De Bergerac (1950)- One of my favorite stories and characters (though as a movie I prefer the 1990 French version), I include this for the one duel scene in the whole movie. Choreographed by Fred Craven (who really is the father of hollywood sword fights) this one makes my list for the duel fought while the charater improvises a poem.

4. The Duellists- Ridley Scott's first movie really shows the ugliness of Duelling. Set durring the Nepoleonic wars, it's about a series of duels fought between two French officers. The fights are choreographed by William Hobbs. Really these days it seems to be William Hobbs, or Bob Anderson.

5. Three Musketeers & Four Musketeers- These two 70's version of the story really try to follow the books, and do so more closely than a lot of other versions. These have a comic take on the story, and are directed by Richard Lester (the director of the Beatles "Hard Day's Night" and "Help!"). William Hobbs does the honors as the sword master on these films. Good Rapier and Dagger stuff.

Ran out of time, I'll continue my list later...

HG1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I enjoyed the fighting in Road House. Going back in time a bit 'The Warriors' was a fun movie. Million Dollar Baby was pretty good too.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Exposure," with Peter Coyote-knife-fighting plays an integral role in the plot, with somewhat realistic fights and training scenes.

And has anyone mentioned "The Hunted?" (Yeah, I know it's Sayoc-trust me, but still.....)

Latest Discussions