Benefits of Meditation

Discussion in 'MartialTalk Magazine Articles' started by mysticwolfpress, Dec 18, 2006.

1. mysticwolfpress

mysticwolfpress White Belt

By: Robert Morgen The benefits of a good meditation practice are many and well documented over the last several thousand years. Since this book is an introduction I’m only going to illustrate a few of the simpler, more common benefits. I want to stress however, that there are many more benefits than just these.

Balance – One of the interesting benefits of meditation is increased balance. I don’t only mean your ability to stand for extreme lengths of time on one foot, although that certainly applies.

Balance, as a concept, refers to every part of life. Through meditation we become more physically balanced, as well as emotionally, mentally and spiritually balanced. Through the increased self-awareness that we then gain we also begin to become more balanced in life, love and financial issues, just to name a few. With more training and experience we begin to free ourselves of emotional attachments and begin to take a balanced look at the world and the socio-economic-political issues as well.

Health – The health benefits of meditation are astounding. The simple act of breathing properly in meditation (and the rest of the time, once you develop the habit) massages and relaxes our muscles and organs. This causes the chi to flow more easily through our body, cleansing and rejuvenating it. At deeper levels we can use meditation to focus more energy on specific organs or muscles to help cleanse them of disease and stress. Over a period of time the incremental effects will amount to vastly improved health and longevity.

Mind/Body connection – One of the interesting, and really fun (usually) benefits of a good practice is the increased Mind/Body connection. As we begin cleansing, relaxing and rejuvenating the body we become aware that we can feel and sense our mental abilities much more easily. Our reaction times decrease and our speed increases as we reduce the resistance that our chi encounters as it flows through us.

Increased abilities – As a continuation of the increased Mind/Body connection, we also discover that we begin to develop the ability to move and direct the energies around us. By the end of this book, the average person who puts in an average amount of effort should be able to influence the energies and flows they encounter and use them for their benefit and to help others. They should find that they have an increased ability to manifest the resources they need to travel down whatever life path they’ve chosen. They should also be experiencing a deeper connection to the universe and their own spirituality.

Take your time as you explore these connections to your self and the universe and see what benefits manifest in your life.

© 2006 Robert Morgen. This article may be used by anyone, anywhere as long as the author’s bio and links are included.

---

“Benefits of Meditation” is an excerpt from Robert Morgen’s new book “Easy Meditation for Martial Artists” (ISBN: 0-9773801-3-0) Robert Morgen is a Reiki Master who holds a Black Belt in Hoshinjutsu and a Brown Belt in Combat Hapkido. He’s founder of the Mystic Village Online Community at www.mysticvillage.org
    He writes a regular column on subtle (or internal) energy for Fight Times Magazine and a column on Kundalini Awakening at Kundalini Awakening Magazine. He’s the author of 3 books and 4 CDs on meditation and energy work.
    He’s a member of the Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids as well as the International Bujinkan Dojo Association, Canemasters International and the International Combat Hapkido Federation.
    You can learn more about his books, Kundalini and Martial Arts Seminars and free events and newsletters at his website at www.mysticwolfpress.com

Article Source: http://www.mysticvillage.org/articles/

2. angiel

angiel White Belt

3. tellner

tellner Senior Master

The Ultimate Colon Cleanser? Dodgy Chicken Vindaloo and a Taco "Where all our combos are #2" Bell burrito washed down with cheap beer :wink2:

4. JBrainard

JBrainard Senior Master

:lol:

5. MJS

MJS Administrator Staff Member

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please, return to the original topic.

-Mike Slosek
    -MT Asst. Admin-

6. Shaderon

Shaderon Master of Arts

Great post, I agree with all of this yet there's much deeper things that could have been explored here, like energy centers, guided meditations, how to start meditating... good stuff though.

7. kidswarrior

kidswarrior Senior Master

A very clear, concise explanation of the benefits of this practice--leaves out the mystical which makes it appealing to everyone, imho.

Kudos to those who are active meditators, but I'm one of those who've tried and never had the patience to see it through. Have found through years of studying the arts, tho, that my external practice has become somewhat internal. So in a sense, I believe our practice can become moving meditatition--can actually give us some of the benefits of meditation--just as meditation can improve our practice. As the old saying goes, you can boil an egg from the inside out, or from the outside in; you still end up with a boiled egg.

Eventually through continued practice we learn to incorporate many of the attributes, and gain many of the benefits, of meditation which the article so nicely sets forth.

8. Skip Cooper

Skip Cooper Purple Belt

I enjoyed this topic on meditation. However, I am on who is more interested in the mystical side of it all. My grandmother once told me that I have a monastic spirit...I guess she was right.

9. Merline

Merline White Belt

Great post on the benefits of meditation and like like to add meditation boosts your immune system and reduce the risk of major health problems. Meditation improves your fertility and prevent you from depression, heart disease and obesity. Meditation improve your mood, increase confidence and enhance your brain functions.