Benefits of Eskrima Training.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From Khalid Khan's (Serrada Eskrima) Eskrima Engineers, providing on-site Eskrima training to Silicon Valley engineers:

Benefits: This course will improve vision and intelligence.

(This is roughly 3/4 of the way down the page.) Prof. Presas never told me about this, but then, I am an arnisador, not an eskrimador. Perhaps that is the difference.

D

DWright

Interesting Page.

The benefits must just be and Eskrima thing. I know my vision hasn't improved. (I still can't see those sticks befor they hit me.)

And I don't think it has made me any smarter. I voluntarily let people attack me with sticks. Many people I know don't think that is too brilliant.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by DWright

And I don't think it has made me any smarter. I voluntarily let people attack me with sticks. Many people I know don't think that is too brilliant.

:lol: I know the feeling, D! Only in martial arts training can you hear, "Okay, let me stab you first" or "Swing that stick at me with a #1...again".

Cthulhu
:cheers:

D

DWright

That's not even the worst of it. I don't know about the rest of you, but I sometimes miss, and block with my head or face.
Not good. And I don't recommend it. But I keep coming back for more!

Maybe I should try Eskrima, Make me Smarter.:wink:

R

Rubber Ducky

Originally posted by DWright
That's not even the worst of it. I don't know about the rest of you, but I sometimes miss, and block with my head or face.

My favourite is blocking, but getting hit anyway - with your own stick!

As for Khalid Khan's comments, I really do think he has something there.

Martial arts - especially weapon based arts - teach how to see things on time. Vision isn't "better" in the 20/20 sense, but in the mental sense that you can do more with what you see and you take notice of more around you.

As for smarter, I certainly think it's smarter to take a martial art than to not take one. :)

Pierre

I

Icepick

Renegade has always told me that FMA will prevent male pattern baldness. Purely anecdotal evidence, though. ;)