Belt whipping and kiss the dragon

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From what I know of kenpo yeah it does but white belts obviously take a very gentle kick whereas black belts will take a more powerful one. Also it's different for the Individuals I mean a 4 foot 125 pound woman black belt wouldn't be kicked as hard as 265 6 foot male black belt unless of course the instructor knows the woman can take a very hard shot which of course can happen
Not a lot of women make it to Black Belt, in kenpo, but back in the day, they earned what ever rank they got. The belief is that you are cheating them, if you create a kenpo-light program.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That isn’t what was being said, or implied, and it certainly isn't the only other option as you have presented it here as being.

Clearly you do not understand the realities of civilian violence, or realistic self protection, and I hope you are never asked to teach self defence to the elderly or children.
I was one of those kids, and I am fine. It's a contact art. Conditioning is part of it, and it ok to concentrate on it. This, it will happen eventually stuff, is fine, for the elderly, and children, but don't cheat people out of reality.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That isn’t what was being said, or implied, and it certainly isn't the only other option as you have presented it here as being.

Clearly you do not understand the realities of civilian violence, or realistic self protection, and I hope you are never asked to teach self defence to the elderly or children.
Obviously sometimes exceptions have to be made but if you are young and fit and looking to learn self defence you need to be able to take a shot like I said in most fights you will get hit fights aren't Bruce lee movies and if you can't take a punch and cower from getting hit all those years of training will mean nothing

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
if you are young and fit and looking to learn self defence you need to be able to take a shot
Not for self defnce you don't. If you want to learn how to fight you need to learn how to take a shot yes, I agree absolutely, but we are not talking about getting into fights.

fights aren't Bruce lee movies
And getting into a fight is not self defence.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you'd rather a black belt who falls on the floor crying if they get a tap in the stomach? I think it's more stupid not to learn to take a strike because in any fight no matter how good you are you're going to be hit so if you fall apart after taking1 shot all your skills mean nothing. Someone's can have all the kicks, blocks, punches everything in the world but if they get hit and aren't used to it they'll freeze and go into shock and won't be able to fight. If you train for self defence and don't learn how to take a shot then it's a waste of time because in any fight it's very likely you'll get hit so if you want to learn to defend you need to learn how to take it, if you're not training for self defence and just doing it to keep fit or whatever then fine tell your instructor that and you don't have to get hit but personally I'd rather learn how to deal with pain in a controlled environment than on the street getting pounded on

My dear child ( yes you are a child so don't bother complaining, my youngest is 12 years older than you). You, as I have said, are incredibly naïve. You have not long ago made a thread about how your cousin was bullied and you have now just said that that bullying is justified because you think it's fine for an instructor to stand in front of a student and punch/kick them in the stomach without them being able to defend themselves. How stupid do you think that is? How do you not see an instructor doing that to a student as bullying?

You learn to take hits when sparring, you learn what you can take, how to avoid it and how to dish it out. No one in their right mind stands and lets someone hit him, that is humiliation and the instructor who humiliates their students is a lousy instructor.

If you are being treated like this then leave, find a place that respects you and teaches true martial arts not a place where instructors and others feed their egos in this manner.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was one of those kids, and I am fine. It's a contact art. Conditioning is part of it, and it ok to concentrate on it. This, it will happen eventually stuff, is fine, for the elderly, and children, but don't cheat people out of reality.
To me it's same if a fighter never sparred when people see fighters like Ali who took loads of damage do they think he just got in the ring without ever taking a punch before hand and could miraculously take joe fraizers best punches.

Now I'm not a guy who gets into a lot of street fights but the times I have had to defend myself I have gotten hit at least once and it hurt like hell and I did struggle with dealing with it and I've fought in the ring and sparred a lot and taken shots from my kenpo days I can't even begin to imagine how bad I'd have been hurt if I hadnt taken the shots in training. I know some schools don't want to do it because little tommy will start crying because he got a bruise and overprotective mummy won't want him getting hurt which I get but if someone truly wants to learn to be able to defend themselves doing kata and moves in the air will not realistically help. Sure they'll have the moves to do it but not the mindset. If schools refuse to do contact because of it affecting business and worried about people leaving because of it doesn't that start to go into McDojo categories. Watering down your art to help your business

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Similar thing in kenpo after a test you get a kick to the stomach from the grading panel or just the head instructor depending on the school as you go higher through the ranks It get more powerful basically it's showing as you get higher you need to be able to take more of a shot No one would take a black belt who cries if they get a hit in the stomach seriously
I was a shodan in Tracy Kenpo. This never happened in the two schools in which I trained.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me it's same if a fighter never sparred when people see fighters like Ali who took loads of damage do they think he just got in the ring without ever taking a punch before hand and could miraculously take joe fraizers best punches.

Now I'm not a guy who gets into a lot of street fights but the times I have had to defend myself I have gotten hit at least once and it hurt like hell and I did struggle with dealing with it and I've fought in the ring and sparred a lot and taken shots from my kenpo days I can't even begin to imagine how bad I'd have been hurt if I hadnt taken the shots in training. I know some schools don't want to do it because little tommy will start crying because he got a bruise and overprotective mummy won't want him getting hurt which I get but if someone truly wants to learn to be able to defend themselves doing kata and moves in the air will not realistically help. Sure they'll have the moves to do it but not the mindset. If schools refuse to do contact because of it affecting business and worried about people leaving because of it doesn't that start to go into McDojo categories. Watering down your art to help your business

What on earth are you talking about? this has nothing to do with sparring or even training. This is about a student being given a belt at a belt 'ceremony' then being kicked/punched in the stomach by the instructor and/or being belt whipped. Stop burbling and read the posts. Is it acceptable to you that when you are given a belt you are also disrespected by the instructor hurting you?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What on earth are you talking about? this has nothing to do with sparring or even training. This is about a student being given a belt at a belt 'ceremony' then being kicked/punched in the stomach by the instructor and/or being belt whipped. Stop burbling and read the posts. Is it acceptable to you that when you are given a belt you are also disrespected by the instructor hurting you?
I don't believe for a second that your Royal Marines don't do this all the time. Are they exempt from this condemnation? :)

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My dear child ( yes you are a child so don't bother complaining, my youngest is 12 years older than you). You, as I have said, are incredibly naïve. You have not long ago made a thread about how your cousin was bullied and you have now just said that that bullying is justified because you think it's fine for an instructor to stand in front of a student and punch/kick them in the stomach without them being able to defend themselves. How stupid do you think that is? How do you not see an instructor doing that to a student as bullying?

You learn to take hits when sparring, you learn what you can take, how to avoid it and how to dish it out. No one in their right mind stands and lets someone hit him, that is humiliation and the instructor who humiliates their students is a lousy instructor.

If you are being treated like this then leave, find a place that respects you and teaches true martial arts not a place where instructors and others feed their egos in this manner.

That's not bullying because the student has the right to say no and leave straight away. No ones forcing them to stay Itd be bullying if he walked up and kicked them without warning. where i went if you really didnt want the kick you could say and they wouldnt do it They don't do it 100% but they make sure they know what it feels like, if you're teaching people how to fight and you're not teaching any contact at all then you're the one failing your students. Also sorry to burst your little bubble but 21 is not a child what does how old your kid is have to do with anything.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not for self defnce you don't. If you want to learn how to fight you need to learn how to take a shot yes, I agree absolutely, but we are not talking about getting into fights.

And getting into a fight is not self defence.
Martial arts prepare you for fights if you need it. By your logic martial arts shouldn't teach how to punch and kick either because you only need to punch and kick if you get in a fight p

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is because it is Kajukenbo, but our school did things like this, and one Tracy's school I went to had us punch each other while we did pull ups. Good Times. :)
Ive seen reference to it in other Parker-based lineages, not kaju.
The comment I was responding to indicated it happens in Kenpo schools. Well not the ones I was in.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not bullying because the student has the right to say no and leave straight away. No ones forcing them to stay Itd be bullying if he walked up and kicked them without warning. where i went if you really didnt want the kick you could say and they wouldnt do it They don't do it 100% but they make sure they know what it feels like, if you're teaching people how to fight and you're not teaching any contact at all then you're the one failing your students. Also sorry to burst your little bubble but 21 is not a child what does how old your kid is have to do with anything.

I see you don't understand much about psychology either, and yes 21 is a child because you are a lot younger than my children so you are a child to me.

You aren't getting this are you?

You find out what it's like to be hit during sparring not during a belt ceremony. If you hit people just because you can you are a bully. Ask your cousin how he'd feel about being hit by his teacher and to be expected to stand there taking it.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes because it's a learning curve at the beginning you don't get it as hard because you can't take it as well but as you go higher you show your learning how to take it and okay go ask anyone who does kenpo and ask them if they "disrespected" by it. All the people who I know think it's more disrespectful to not be hit hard because if your not even touched your instructor thinks you're not strong enough to take it and I know you'll have some comeback because you seem to have to argue every single thing that's posted I just roll my eyes whenever I see your name in my notifications because I know it's going to be some sort of argument

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I see you don't understand much about psychology either, and yes 21 is a child because you are a lot younger than my children so you are a child to me.

You aren't getting this are you?

You find out what it's like to be hit during sparring not during a belt ceremony. If you hit people just because you can you are a bully. Ask your cousin how he'd feel about being hit by his teacher and to be expected to stand there taking it.
He's done kenpo in the past and he got to purple belt so he took 3 kicks and didnt whine about it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Martial arts prepare you for fights if you need it. By your logic martial arts shouldn't teach how to punch and kick either because you only need to punch and kick if you get in a fight p

Read the posts sunbeam. You are making things up.

I say again.... you learn to take and give strikes during sparring not being struck after a belt ceremony when you are expected to stand there and take it like a victim.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
What if the person goes to test in front of a unfamiliar panel with people who don't know the person who's testing and never seen them train
Is full contact sparring not a part of testing?

In our testing one must pass a pretest before a 5 BB panel which includes, among many things, (2) 3 minute rounds of continuous full contact sparring.
At the testing itself the student will again have (3) rounds of sparring where they will be tested for heart, fighting spirit, conditioning, and fighting ability.
If someone on the test board cannot tell after the test the students ability to take a punch or a kick they don't belong on the board to begin with.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The video is actually pretty tame. None of those shots seem injurious to me. Not the belt slapping, not the punches, not the kicks. That doesn't negate the observation that it is silly, really.

Ok as a ritualistic formality, maybe there is some comaraderie it may build, but it's still silly.

It has nothing to do with conditioning, or at least those who think it does are kind of delusional. Standing there to just take it, in a ritualistic setting like this, does not build conditioning. It is not the appropriate place for such training, and it's not the appropriate way to go about it, if that is the goal.

What if I, the student, decided to hit back? Give me the first shot. If the teacher can't get up off the floor after just standing there and taking a punch from me, well then maybe I dont want his belt.

The whole thing really is just silly.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes because it's a learning curve at the beginning you don't get it as hard because you can't take it as well but as you go higher you show your learning how to take it and okay go ask anyone who does kenpo and ask them if they "disrespected" by it. All the people who I know think it's more disrespectful to not be hit hard because if your not even touched your instructor thinks you're not strong enough to take it and I know you'll have some comeback because you seem to have to argue every single thing that's posted I just roll my eyes whenever I see your name in my notifications because I know it's going to be some sort of argument

then stop making up things you think people have said, stop posting BS and start reading what people have said.

1907444_10152658963671605_6923530260721565703_n.jpg

Latest Discussions