Belt washing?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't ever washed a belt and my BB is slowly fraying. Mine is from ordinary wear and tear but I do know of people rubbing their belts to get the frayed look.

Poseurs gotta pose...

In my experience, practitioners of Korean arts seem to replace their belts before they get that faded, frayed look. There are exceptions, of course (GM LEE, Kyu Hyung, for example) but as a rule you don't see "old" looking uniforms, including the belt.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
T

A question to the Japanese stylists: I know these days a lot of very senior masters and black belts have that fantastic broken in and faded belt look. Is this only achievable by washing the belt? (I know some fading and fraying occurs over many years of wearing the belt without washing, but i'm talking about extreme wear)

I have a belt that is over 25 years old that has seen frequent usage. It is worn away in the place where my knot is tied. I didn't have to do anything to wear it down other than use it and train hard in it.

But I rarely wear it now. The feeling of nostalgia is great when I tie it on - it evokes my youth and perhaps a simpler more innocent time. However I generally don't like ratty gear in poor condition and that includes uniforms and belts. I might put it on if I know I'll be training with some other friends from the old days.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My first BB was passed down to my son. My sensei passed his original BB down to me.
I can relate to dancingalone above a bit. Everybody views their experience, dojo and time era differently and that's ok. It is never what your wear on your waist that matters anyway, but, what you carry in your mind and heart. Wash or not to wash?
"personal preference". :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My first BB was passed down to my son. My sensei passed his original BB down to me.
I can relate to dancingalone above a bit. Everybody views their experience, dojo and time era differently and that's ok. It is never what your wear on your waist that matters anyway, but, what you carry in your mind and heart. Wash or not to wash?
"personal preference". :)

I think passing along the belt is a great thing to do. In another 1.5-2 years, I think Sue will be getting my Moo Duk Kwan Taekwondo 1st Dan belt.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wash everything but Im overly worried about germs. I got MRSA on my face once and have a big scar close to 4inches long on my face from it.So I wash, disinfect, sanitize everything I own.I dont EVER want that stuff again dont know if I can get it from a belt but Im not risking it.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wash everything but Im overly worried about germs. I got MRSA on my face once and have a big scar close to 4inches long on my face from it.So I wash, disinfect, sanitize everything I own.I dont EVER want that stuff again dont know if I can get it from a belt but Im not risking it.
I think you are far more likely to pick up a staph infection from training with others than from your belt. Staph in on most people's skin and in their noses but is unlikely to cause you a problem unless you have broken skin as in a scratch. Showering after training will remove most of the risk. However, in your line of business you are very likely to be dealing with people who have active staph infections. That's the area where I would be much more careful.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think you are far more likely to pick up a staph infection from training with others than from your belt. Staph in on most people's skin and in their noses but is unlikely to cause you a problem unless you have broken skin as in a scratch. Showering after training will remove most of the risk. However, in your line of business you are very likely to be dealing with people who have active staph infections. That's the area where I would be much more careful.
Yeah I got it from work last time. At that time I shaved before work. Got into a scuffle and a few days later started seeing signs and it got worse over the next week. Now I shave after work for the next day to give my skin time to heal overnight. Im sure I wont get anything from my belt but I wash it anyway

Latest Discussions