Belt Rank Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

KydeX

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It doesn't make much sense for your sensei to tell you when you will test for black belt but to allow you to test for the other belts at your own discretion.

It makes sense, because there might be a lot of lower ranked people, so he will have trouble following everyone's progression. But often there 's only one or two guys going for black belt, and the Sensei has known them and their skills for years.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somebody said that for all the belts after white, that their sensei tells them when they're going to test, not just for black belt but for all the belts. A more traditionally run dojo might do it like that. The way I see it, though, is that if your sensei tells you when you're going to test for your next belt it should be done like that for all the belts, not just the black belt. It doesn't make much sense for your sensei to tell you when you will test for black belt but to allow you to test for the other belts at your own discretion.

That was probably me again who said that. Actually, the dojo I currently train at, is by far, the most traditional one I've ever been at. However, my Kenpo dojos were the same way. We didn't ask, we didn't sign up....we were told when we could test.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
That was probably me again who said that. Actually, the dojo I currently train at, is by far, the most traditional one I've ever been at. However, my Kenpo dojos were the same way. We didn't ask, we didn't sign up....we were told when we could test.

I see. The Kenpo dojos sound like they were also very traditional the way they were run. Anyway, if out of respect you didn't ask your sensei when you were going to test, how about asking your sensei what you need to do to be eligible to test? That way you know what you need to work on. If a student isn't being called up to test they should know why they aren't being called up, so the student will know how they should train, what needs work, and what they need to fix.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I see. The Kenpo dojos sound like they were also very traditional the way they were run. Anyway, if out of respect you didn't ask your sensei when you were going to test, how about asking your sensei what you need to do to be eligible to test? That way you know what you need to work on. If a student isn't being called up to test they should know why they aren't being called up, so the student will know how they should train, what needs work, and what they need to fix.

Nope. Never once asked what I needed to do to test. I have, on many occasions, asked for advice on ways I could improve as a martial artist or instructor.
Your focus (from what you've posted) seems to be on the belt. I personally think that's a bad idea. It's something I expect to see in beginners and children but not in anybody who I'd consider testing for BB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Of course. Not quite sure why you seem to think that talking to your teacher, asking questions, is taboo....it's not...lol. Of course, as I've said before, even today, I don't ask my teacher every other class, what I need to work on. If, while performing something, he comments and makes a correction, etc, in essence he's telling you what you need to work on. Keep in mind, that it's not always what you need to work on. I know some places have a requirement for hours. In other words, to go from green to brown for example, you need to attend X number of training hours. If you aren't showing up to class, then it's not going to matter how well you know the material.

As I've said before....who cares how long it takes? People, including yourself, seem too focused on the belts. The belts come when they come.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

The way it worked in our kenpo school was that when you thought you were ready, you would ask one of the black belts to review your material. If you were ready you were told to find a date for a test. If you weren't ready you would obviously not be asked to set a date.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score

I don`t see any problems with asking the sensei about what you need to improve in order to get ready for your next test, it is encouraged where I train. The awnser is usually to work on general movement, stance and flow rather than fixing technique a, b and c however.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nope. Never once asked what I needed to do to test. I have, on many occasions, asked for advice on ways I could improve as a martial artist or instructor.
Your focus (from what you've posted) seems to be on the belt. I personally think that's a bad idea. It's something I expect to see in beginners and children but not in anybody who I'd consider testing for BB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Sometimes you might have to ask what you need to do to test just to clarify stuff. For instance, in my dojo there was this longstanding myth that a brown belt had to wait until the sensei told them they could test for the black belt. The fact was that a brown belt was supposed to sign up themself when they thought they were up to it. If you're somebody who believes that you need to wait until sensei tells you that you can test, than you will be waiting indefinitely if you don't get the proper information, that you're supposed to sign up yourself. Getting the proper information often involves talking to your sensei.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sometimes you might have to ask what you need to do to test just to clarify stuff. For instance, in my dojo there was this longstanding myth that a brown belt had to wait until the sensei told them they could test for the black belt. The fact was that a brown belt was supposed to sign up themself when they thought they were up to it. If you're somebody who believes that you need to wait until sensei tells you that you can test, than you will be waiting indefinitely if you don't get the proper information, that you're supposed to sign up yourself. Getting the proper information often involves talking to your sensei.
I think Ive read this story before

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Gee, amazing how you seem to keep repeating yourself. Anyways...thought I'd share something from class last night. We started class off with some floor drills..moving up and down the floor, throwing various block, punches, etc. One of the combos was a step forward, downward block, upward block and then punch. My teacher made a correction on the way I was doing this. It was simply the way I should've been turning when applying the blocks, and then when I threw the punch. I made those corrections and got the nod of approval from my teacher.

Fast forward a bit later in the class. We hung the heavy bags and drilled punches. Again, he made adjustments/corrections in the way I was punching, so as to not only do it correctly, but also to generate more power. Again, after making the necessary corrections, I got the nod of approval.

I know what I need to work on in those situations, and I didn't even have to ask. My job now, is to continue to make sure I do those things correctly, from now on. It's not always what you need to know, as in physical techniques, but how you apply those things. If you're possibly testing for a higher rank, but you perform things like a lower rank, well, odds are, you probably won't get told to test. If you only show up once a week to class, odds are, until you apply yourself, get off your *** and show up 2, 3, 4+ times/week, well, hello....you're probably not going to be told to test.

Again, I'm not saying you shouldn't ask, but if you think that you have to ask each and every time, well....no, you don't.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

When you were in therapy, did your therapist ever suggest that maybe it was time for you to get over it and move on?

Reactions: MJS
OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh and this is why belt rank is important. Belt rank is important because its a measure of progress. It's a measure of how well you're doing. In school you've got that same measuring system with grades, (A, B, C, D, F). In Boyscouts you've also got a ranking system that serves as a measure of progress. Even in sports like running and swimming you've got that system of progress in the form of time that it takes you to complete certain events. The time it takes you to run a 100 yard dash or swim a 50 freestyle, ect, that is your "ranking system" in those sports.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Your focus (from what you've posted) seems to be on the belt.
Nope, my focus is on the skill and ability that's required for the belt. It's not the color of your belt that makes a difference in a real fight, it's the skill and ability you developed to earn the belt that makes the difference.
I personally think that's a bad idea. It's something I expect to see in beginners and children but not in anybody who I'd consider testing for BB.
So in other words, you would only test somebody for black belt if they don't want it?

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Nope, my focus is on the skill and ability that's required for the belt. It's not the color of your belt that makes a difference in a real fight, it's the skill and ability you developed to earn the belt that makes the difference.

So in other words, you would only test somebody for black belt if they don't want it?
Are you regarded as morally inferior here if you want a belt? Imagine a Private being shamed because he wants to be a Sergeant Major someday.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
A little bit yeah.

It is kind of a dichotomy.
So at some dojos, if you want a black belt, you've got to figure out how to fake the funk and act like you don't want it? Or that you're not sweating it, despite the fact that getting promoted requires voluntary initiative on the part of the student?

I saw it mentioned earlier that only children and beginners care about belts. No. I'd argue that it's the people who start when they're middle aged or older that are pursuing a black belt to check off an item on their bucket list. And I don't see anything wrong with this. When I was in my early 20's, I attended the party of my then-girlfriend's father who was celebrating getting his black belt, and I believe he was in his 50's at the time.

I'm never going to be convinced that someone who is pursuing a belt either needs to hide it, fake like they're not, or should feel ashamed about it. That's just crazy.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you regarded as morally inferior here if you want a belt? Imagine a Private being shamed because he wants to be a Sergeant Major someday.
Not really. You may be regarded as shallow and superficial if your focus is on the belt, though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions