Belt promotion time

• Thread starter Chicago Green Dragon
  • Start date
C

Chicago Green Dragon

Do you think there should be a specific time for each belt until people are allowed to go forward. Example. 4 months to test for yellow then another 3 for orange. etc.
Or should people be able to test for a belt when they feel they are ready too?
There are many people who have studied a variety of different martial art styles for many many years. If they come to a new style and are quick to adapt the techniques, philos. and ability to do the work proficiently, should they have to wait the prescribed time or should they be able to go and test?

Just wondering what you think ?

Chicago Green
Dragon :asian:

OP
S

SingingTiger

Originally posted by Chicago Green Dragon
Do you think there should be a specific time for each belt until people are allowed to go forward.

I don't. At least not for lower ranks: the higher black ranks aren't based on new material, so time-in-rank makes more sense.

A week after I tested for blue I could have gone to the owner and told him to set up a green test for me. After laughing hysterically for a few minutes, he would have asked me why I thought I was ready, and, if I had been, would've set up the test. (Okay, actually he probably would have just laughed and then walked away, but it's an extreme example.)

But I train at a place where tests are private, and setting up a test only takes a few days or a week. Where group tests are held, it seems a little unreasonable to throw the schedule off or hold an extra test for one student.

Rich

Latest Discussions