Belt Companion

Walter Wong

Green Belt
Reaction score
So far the extent of my Nami Ryu training has only been with Katana, Iai and Kenjutsu work with it, and various falling and rolling and rolling with sword and drawing it. And a little tameshigiri with various Samurai weapons next to Katana.

I haven't gone that far enough into the curricullum to start drawing my Aikuchi. Or work with Wakizashi techniques. They are still based around the sword though.

There's alot in the Nami Ryu curricullum that I have yet to begin training in. Just working on some very basics and core principles.

There is 2 sword work of course. But that's later on.

The seminar's this weekend in PA. Why don't you take a drive down and meet me there and meet James Williams and everyone else.
http://www.yrjj.net/Jan06Seminar.html

You can get there a little faster than me. I have to drive an extra hour of driving than you to get there. A 5 hour drive for me once I get onto 95 south.

OP
kroh

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Walter Wong said:
So far the extent of my Nami Ryu training has only been with Katana, Iai and Kenjutsu work with it, and various falling and rolling and rolling with sword and drawing it. And a little tameshigiri with various Samurai weapons next to Katana.

I haven't gone that far enough into the curricullum to start drawing my Aikuchi. Or work with Wakizashi techniques. They are still based around the sword though.

There's alot in the Nami Ryu curricullum that I have yet to begin training in. Just working on some very basics and core principles.

There is 2 sword work of course. But that's later on.

The seminar's this weekend in PA. Why don't you take a drive down and meet me there and meet James Williams and everyone else.
http://www.yrjj.net/Jan06Seminar.html

You can get there a little faster than me. I have to drive an extra hour of driving than you to get there. A 5 hour drive for me once I get onto 95 south.

I wish I could go this weekend but other obligations have me firmly planted in Rhode Island. No worries...Hopefully there will be another opportunity soon.

Regards,
Walt

OP
kroh

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Walter and Arnisador. I am looking forward to training in Nami Ryu in the near future as the system looks very interesting and from the sound of it moves like some of the jujutsu I have seen in the past. Very cool stuff.

Another system that practices with the kodachi is the Suio Ryu (a koryu). I don't know if your friends that practice in the Ryuha actually do it, Walter, but I know that they train to acknowledge the presence of the short sword in the belt. There is supposedly methods of kogusoku in the system as well where they wear the shortsword while doing it. Makes things interesting.

Regards,
Walt

Walter Wong

Green Belt
Reaction score
One of my Suio Ryu friends talks about seeing a Wakizashi worn in obi while using Katana in his class.

OP
kroh

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Do they actually wear it when they do it or do they just work out as they they have one there (proper sayabiki as though sporting a kodachi)?

Regards,
Walt

Walter Wong

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure cause I haven't seen a Suio Ryu class myself yet. I would imagine that if they're not physically wearing a second blade in their obi, that their practice is with the consideration that there is a second blade in their obi when using katana. And I'm assuming you just wear a second blade in your obi when you can afford one or something.

I thought you are Suio Ryu student with the Providence group Walt?

OP
kroh

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Nope...I have taken a few classes with them as far as seminars and open houses but I have yet to officially sign on. I have been facinated by sword arts for years but to have a legitimate koryu in my back yard is such a great opportunity (to be fair, I have also been told about MJER Iaido and MSR Jodo but those are the only koryu I could find). Unfortunately, right now I have one of those scheduales that I am trying to get rid of. It only allows me to train in limited times right now but as soon as I get a free minute I am going down there to hook it up.

The class meets twice and sometimes three times a week. I have spoken to the person in charge of the club several times (a consumate professional in the realm of Japanese martial arts with a sincere love for what she is doing and technical knowledge for what they are teaching). She has graciously told me that when my scheduale clears i can come back and be considered for training. The people from their group that I have met were all really nice and judging from the atmosphere people just come in, do their thing, and some times socialize a bit before going home. Excelllent training enviornment with no BS.

With your Nami ryu training, have you worked with other weapons besides the sword? IF so, do you still wear the kodachi in your obi or do they even sometimes wear the "long and short" while doing stuff like glaive or long/short staff?

Regards,
Walt

P.S. This whole thread is all about getting some serious information not based on anime or what kind of sword to buy into a thread watched over by some genuine sword folks (who also lurk on other boards such as the one captained by Mr. Williams or Sword Forum Int.). I really enjoy learning about the different facets of Kenjutsu and this is one that is not often exponded upon.

Walter Wong

Green Belt
Reaction score
I know that once you sign up with Suio Ryu, you make a vow to only practice Suio Ryu and nothing else. It's a complete commitment to Suio Ryu so cross training with another Ryu is forbidden. So be sure to try other Kenjutsu around before finalizing any decision to do Suio Ryu. There is a Jikishin-kai style of MJER in Rhode Island I believe and I think that's lead by Tom Duffy. If you want seitokai style of MJER you'll have to come to Boston www.bostoniaido.com
As far as Nami Ryu, I'm taking regular courses of it with 2 certified Nami Ryu instructors in New Hampshire while attending the seminars down in PA for more personal attention from James Williams Sensei himself while practicing with another Nami Ryu newbie here in Boston to keep up in between taking classes and seminars. JSA is just harder to find it seems as quality training is so spread out in very few areas.

As far as other weapons, I mostly been training with Katana and recently began the Aikijujutsu training. When it came to tameshigiri, I've cut with Aikuchi (tanto without tsuba), wakizashi and Naginata. It was more like the instructor wanted me to get a taste for other weapons as they still use the same body mechanics as the sword with some subtle differences. I couldn't cut the mats with Aikuchi or naginata for the life of me. Aikuchi being the small knife it is, I only managed to hack up the mat. But interesting my instructor could cut through a single rolled mat with the aikuchi no problem. And with naginata, I ended up batting the mat smacking it right off the stand. Wakizashi was more successful with cause it behaves close to a Katana. So Wakizashi makes a very powerful second sword. Aikuchi or tanto being the small knife it is is more ideal for jujutsu/aikijujutsu purposes. Naginata well, you can clear a dance floor with that. ;)

What other JSA styles have you trained or dabbled in besides Suio Ryu? Did you mention something about Toyama Ryu before?

OP
kroh

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Most recently Toyama Ryu. It was taught as an adjunct to the Kempo system I was a part of. Good stuff. I have extensive time in FMA styles as well. It is a nice break (and sore muscles the next morning) from doing mostly JSA. I also get more out of it from examining such a different approach to sword method. Of course there is always the obligatory dabbling when going to camps and the like. I really liked Aikido weaponry but I only had six months of aikido total so it really never amounted to very much. The only art I really lamented about so far was Yagyu Shinkage Ryu. They taught it at the aikido dojo I was a part of(study group). I only had three classes. I had only learned some very basic draws (basically pulling out the sword and putting it back without lopping off a toe) and was working on those ( all the while wanting to do some of the kata with the red leather wrapped shinai %-} ) when I blew out my knee in a jujutsu class I was taking on the side. Back in 98 I was doing a lot of cross training. We were doing some free grappling after class and the guy put his foot through my knee. Had to get major surgery and that pretty much killed any training for a while that involved anything like aikido or kenjutsu. Bum deal. Nurses and PT's were pretty hot though!

I never knew that about the Suio Ryu not being able to train in anything else. I will say that they are very dedicated to spreading the art. I know that they trave to Japan every once in a while to train with the head honcho of the art. So far in the classes I have been to and the ones I have watched, I have only seen them doing the iaijutsu portion of the art. Naginatajutsu, kogosoku, and kusarigamajutsu are all elements of the system I have not personally witnessed. But I bet it would be cool to watch some of the seniors do it.

Groovy
Walt

Walter Wong

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yeah Suio Ryu seems to be a complete Samurai art itself.

I'm touching on Filipino martial arts right now. A little more knife than stick. But touching on stick little. I know stick is actually practicing sword. I guess it's kind of the Filipino's bokken. FMA is alot of fun.

Well, let me know when you are hitting up Boston.

OP
kroh

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Sure thing...We can trade notes on on the FMA stuff . I have a few years under my belt. I look forward to it...

Regards,
Walt

Kusarigama

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
kroh said:
I never knew that about the Suio Ryu not being able to train in anything else. I will say that they are very dedicated to spreading the art. I know that they trave to Japan every once in a while to train with the head honcho of the art. So far in the classes I have been to and the ones I have watched, I have only seen them doing the iaijutsu portion of the art. Naginatajutsu, kogosoku, and kusarigamajutsu are all elements of the system I have not personally witnessed. But I bet it would be cool to watch some of the seniors do it.

Katsuse Yoshimitsu Kagehiro Sensei, serving as the 15th Generation Headmaster of Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo, has requested that we practice no other sword art except the Suio Ryu. This does not include Kendo.

It is our understanding that this principle would also apply to other weapon systems that are found in Suio Ryu, if you have been taught the Suio Ryu Techniques.

Other non-sword arts may be practiced but one would find his time more than filled up with the teachings of the Ryu.

Please note that Katsuse Sensei is planning a visit to the United States in August, 2006.

Please visit our web site for more informtion:

http://suioryu-usa.org/

Kusarigama

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
kroh said:
There is supposedly methods of kogusoku in the system as well where they wear the shortsword while doing it. Makes things interesting.

The Kogusoku techniques are practiced using a Wakizashi/saya combination.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well this is way off base.

I do not train in an JMA.

I do train with a Wakizashi in my FMA. I enjoy it. I like the weight of the blade.

OP
kroh

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Well this is way off base.

I do not train in an JMA.

I do train with a Wakizashi in my FMA. I enjoy it. I like the weight of the blade.

Not really way off base Rich. I know that there are some Kuntaw (kuntao) as well as some silat styles that use a blade similar to the wakizashi. Certain bolo techniques are perfect for that blade too. Very cool that you use one. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of blade do you use (ie, who made it?)

Hey Britt, Thank you very much for giving me the info about the Suio Ryu. Other than a few opportunities, I have yet to go back and train with them. I have met and spoken with all of them and they are a great group of people. Very soft spoen and polite with a good sense of humor. I hope that the scheduale I have clears up a bit so that I can train with them soon.

Regards,
Walt

Walter Wong

Green Belt
Reaction score
The Wakizashi behaves close to a Katana. Just smaller and faster. For Kenjutsu/Iai, the Wakizashi makes for a very powerful 2nd sword.

Latest Discussions