Belt Companion

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
How many people out there train with the kodachi (short sword...wakizashi)? If you do train with it what systems is it from?

Curious...
Regards,
Walt

T

TheBattousai

I train with the wakizashi. I receive my training in it threw my kobujutsu practice.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
I train with a daisho (katana and wakizashi) in Yagyu Shinkage Ryu. Up to fairly recently, only the senior students wore the wakizashi, since it is harder to train with two swords in your obi. However, since all the Yagyu students in Japan train with BOTH swords from the beginning, my sensei decided to allow all of his students to carry a wakizashi as well. It does add an extra element to my training, and I had to adjust certain movements to work around the extra sword in my obi. Oh...and it *is* kinda a pain sometimes, though I've gotten used to it.

OP
kroh

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Are the techniques that you learn done as snap draw techniques or is it a naked blade (blade already from the scabbard) cirriculum?

And does the traditional lines of Swordsmanship carry the use of this weapon? I know the Nitten Ichi Ryu have methods for using it and I am some what aware of the Kashima Katori Shinto Ryu having it in their system.

Does anyone know how it was used in the old days?

Regards,
Walt

OP
kroh

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Always a pleasure to see you Sword Lady San. In YSKR, when is the sword drawn ( the kodachi )? Do you practice it in conjunction with the long sword or does it have its own seperate cirriculum?

Same question to you too theBattosai...

Regards,
Walt

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
kroh said:
Are the techniques that you learn done as snap draw techniques or is it a naked blade (blade already from the scabbard) cirriculum?

And does the traditional lines of Swordsmanship carry the use of this weapon? I know the Nitten Ichi Ryu have methods for using it and I am some what aware of the Kashima Katori Shinto Ryu having it in their system.

Does anyone know how it was used in the old days?

Regards,
Walt

All of the solo kata in Yagyu Shinkage Ryu start with the swords sheathed. The kenjutsu kata is done with swords drawn (usually with bokken, though I've seen high-ranking Yagyu sensei demonstrate kenjutsu kata with live blades - whoa!)

From what I understand, the original koryu all used the daisho in their fighting systems (I may be wrong in this assessment; I'll have to check).

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
kroh said:
Always a pleasure to see you Sword Lady San. In YSKR, when is the sword drawn ( the kodachi )? Do you practice it in conjunction with the long sword or does it have its pwn seperate cirriculum?

Same question to you too theBattosai...

Regards,
Walt

The pleasure is mine, Kroh. :) To answer your question, the wakizashi is sometimes used in conjuction with the katana (I don't know every kata yet, but I have learned a couple where both swords end up drawn), and there are some kata where only the short sword is used (the long sword would not be in the obi for those kata).

OP
kroh

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I started to train in Yagyu Shinkage ryu with a local study group about a week before I blew out my knee (1998). When my knee was put back together I tried to look for the group again and they had since closed down (along with the aikido school it was in, the gentleman who ran it retired). I had two classes. Bum Deal.

In any event, when the kodachi is used solo, are the movements done from kneeling or standing?

Regards,
Walt

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
kroh said:
I started to train in Yagyu Shinkage ryu with a local study group about a week before I blew out my knee (1998). When my knee was put back together I tried to look for the group again and they had since closed down (along with the aikido school it was in, the gentleman who ran it retired). I had two classes. Bum Deal.

Bummer about your training. :( It's very hard to find schools that teach original koryu. The only other YSKR school in the US I know of is in Tampa, Florida. Though there is an Owari YSKR (my group is Edo) group somewhere in upstate New York (I have to double-check where).

In any event, when the kodachi is used solo, are the movements done from kneeling or standing?

Both. I know some wakizashi kata where I start from a kneeling position, and others where I'm walking into an attack.

OP
kroh

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Tampa seems to be a hotbed for the Japanese Sword. They have a big Toyama Ryu pressence down there as well. Might have to take a field trip.

Does the YSKR practice test cutting and if so do you use the kodachi also?

I know what you mean about the scarcity or koryu instruction but it seems that with the advent of the internet it is easy to find (all hail mighty google...)

Regards,
Walt

Walter Wong

Green Belt
Reaction score
In Nami Ryu, it is required to train with daisho. The 2nd blade can either be Wakizashi or Tanto or Aikuchi. I've done tameshigiri once with a Wakizashi and Aikuchi (same as tanto only it is without a tsuba). Wakizashi behaves pretty much like a sword. Only smaller and faster. It's a powerful 2nd blade. With Aikuchi, I couldn't cut through a single mat for the life of me. Will take more training and experience. I'm not exactly on Wakizashi/Tanto training, but the training surrounds itself around sword training. Right now, I currently wear an Aikuchi in my obi when training with Katana. Wearing a Wakizashi or Tanto/Aikuchi affects how you use the sword and teaches many lessons. Form and technique is reinforced in Nami Ryu with the Katana moreso when wearing a Wakizashi. But with some training, it doesn't take long to get used to that extra handle sticking out of your obi. I personally like wearing Aikuchi cause it's smaller and a little more out of the way but still can get in the way if not training with the sword correctly.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
hey Walt, do the teachers you study under offer any MJER?
i believe that is what Michael Brown Sensei teaches.....is it not?
i would love to study sword seriously, but the closest place to me is in toronto, about 1 1/2 hours away.

Walter Wong

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm in Boston. The place where I learn MJER is in Cambridge, MA under Cuong Nguyen Sensei. I'm not sure where in Toronto teaches MJER. But I wouldn't doubt there is a qualified sensei up there to teach MJER. MJER as far as I know do not train with a 2nd blade in their belt and only focus on just the Katana work.

My Nami Ryu instructors that I train with in New Hampshire never done MJER but had some years of Toyama Ryu under their belt prior to their Nami Ryu training.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
kroh said:
Tampa seems to be a hotbed for the Japanese Sword. They have a big Toyama Ryu pressence down there as well. Might have to take a field trip.

There you go! Catching a seminar ever so often would be good, especially if you don't have regular access to a legit teacher.

Does the YSKR practice test cutting and if so do you use the kodachi also?

I don't know about the other YSKR instructors, but my sensei doesn't put all that much emphasis into cutting. It's too expensive for us to do on a regular basis; most of us don't have that much money to go around. Not only that, preparing the mats is a royal PAIN (not difficult, but it is tedious work); we normally go through over 100 mats at our annual test cutting. We have one "official" test cutting day a year (usually in the late summer or fall), though we also sometimes come across an opportunity for test cutting at a Sword Fest or something. And yes, some of the students use the wakizashi for test cutting. I haven't tried using the short sword yet, but know that it is harder than the long sword.

OP
kroh

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Blackcatbonz said:
hey Walt, do the teachers you study under offer any MJER?
i believe that is what Michael Brown Sensei teaches.....is it not?

You are correct sir. Mr. Brown moved to North Caolina so I don't have the opportuity to train with him at the moment. I am under two of his instructors. The school has an MJER sword club and a senior practitioner comes down once a week to make sure things go the way they're supposed to. They meet a couple of times a week. I was invited to join the club tonight when regular class was letting out but I have a couple of irons in the fire and can't just yet. Maybe in a couple of weeks. Very nice of them to offer.

Some of my past experience includes Toyama Ryu which was taught as an adjunct program for the Kempo group I was a part of. The Toyama Ryu has kodachi elements in it and I hope to go to Boston soon to see if they can help me further my education in this system(as I am very eager to learn more of the system. Very different from the sword I learned while in jujutsu.). I am also hoping to go to Boston to visit with Mr. Wong and trade techniques ( and grab a bite to eat!) if he is availble.

Swordlady said:
we normally go through over 100 mats at our annual test cutting.
That sounds like a lot of fun. Sign me up! Thanks for all the info so far...very groovy.

Walter Wong said:
In Nami Ryu, it is required to train with daisho. The 2nd blade can either be Wakizashi or Tanto or Aikuchi. I've done tameshigiri once with a Wakizashi and Aikuchi (same as tanto only it is without a tsuba). Wakizashi behaves pretty much like a sword. Only smaller and faster. It's a powerful 2nd blade. With Aikuchi, I couldn't cut through a single mat for the life of me. Will take more training and experience. I'm not exactly on Wakizashi/Tanto training, but the training surrounds itself around sword training. Right now, I currently wear an Aikuchi in my obi when training with Katana. Wearing a Wakizashi or Tanto/Aikuchi affects how you use the sword and teaches many lessons. Form and technique is reinforced in Nami Ryu with the Katana moreso when wearing a Wakizashi. But with some training, it doesn't take long to get used to that extra handle sticking out of your obi. I personally like wearing Aikuchi cause it's smaller and a little more out of the way but still can get in the way if not training with the sword correctly.

Sounds like this training is pretty cool. Got to watch the handle of that second blade when drawing out the sword. Gets in the way when you are trying to line everything up for replacing the blade too.

Thanks for all the info...keep it commin!
Regards,
Walt

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
kroh said:

Hey Walt,

I know Erik Johnstone Sensei teaches MJER in Rhode Island, and is a direct student of Carl Long Shihan. If you're interested I can post a link to his website for you.

Respects,

Frank

OP
kroh

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Henderson said:
Hey Walt,

I know Erik Johnstone Sensei teaches MJER in Rhode Island, and is a direct student of Carl Long Shihan. If you're interested I can post a link to his website for you.

Respects,

Frank

Hey Frank...Thank you for the shout...I would be greatful if you posted the link. I could always use more friends who cut things into little pieces.

Regards,
Walt

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
kroh said:
Hey Frank...Thank you for the shout...I would be greatful if you posted the link. I could always use more friends who cut things into little pieces.
You're welcome. Johnstone Sensei is one of the finest people I know. A fine practitioner and hell of an historian of the Arts. He teaches in Richmond and Cranston, RI. See site at...

http://members.cox.net/shindokan

Frank

Walter Wong

Green Belt
Reaction score
kroh said:
Some of my past experience includes Toyama Ryu which was taught as an adjunct program for the Kempo group I was a part of. The Toyama Ryu has kodachi elements in it and I hope to go to Boston soon to see if they can help me further my education in this system(as I am very eager to learn more of the system. Very different from the sword I learned while in jujutsu.). I am also hoping to go to Boston to visit with Mr. Wong and trade techniques ( and grab a bite to eat!) if he is availble.
Hi Walt.

I'm not aware of any Toyama Ryu group up here in Boston.

But yeah, just PM me when you're coming up and we can arrange to meet up.

OP
kroh

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Walter Wong said:
just PM me when you're coming up and we can arrange to meet up. [

So I saw your post and followed a bookmarked link back to the Toyama study group and sure enough they hit me with a big "error 404." So I guess that they are not there anymore. Must not have been that serious a group.

Anyhoo... We'll set something up.

Henderson said:
See site at...

Thanks for posting that Frank. I have been on that site before but the studio near where I am only has classes in the morning and I have to be into work at 5:30. The Richmond studio is a bit out of my reach at the moment but I will keep the site marked and once things clear out a bit I will probably give him a ring.

Walter, I know that on Mr. Williams' site he has photo's of him doing paired sword attacks (evil warra...DIE!) with the twin weapons. Have you touched on any of this training yet? Also, Is some of the torite-kogusoku or kumi-uchi excersizes that Nami Ryu does, is the kodachi or tanto employed? For example, you have a guy locked up or off balance in a compromising position...do you end it with a strike from the obi with the weapon?

Regards,
Walt

Latest Discussions