Belcher fireworks too much for Gouveia

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
12-12-2009 10:46 PM:The signs of trouble for Wilson Gouveia were evident before and during his fight against Alan Belcher. On Friday, Gouveia had to ask for the fight to be waged at a catch weight of 190 pounds. He simply couldn't get any lower. and then problem No. 2 came when he decided to slug it out with Belcher, who is a very dangerous striker with a big chin.

Gouveia and Blecher slugged the heck out of each other for two and half minutes then the Brazilian ran out of gas. Belcher also made a nice switching to southpaw with 2:25 left in the round. With Gouveia's back on the cage, he took a nasty body shot that had a delayed effect and dropped his hands just enough to allow a Belcher uppercut to land. Gouveia went down and immediately covered up. Referee Herb Dean had to save him at 3:03 of the first.

Belcher was jubilant. Born in Jonesboro, Ark., Belcher is the only home area fighter on the card.

"All my friends and family are here. I see faces everywhere that I grew up with. I wanted to show I can knock out everybody in the UFC."

Belcher is slowly moving up the UFC middleweight charts. He just needs to put together a winning streak. He was robbed at UFC 100 against Yoshihiro Akiyama. Now we'll see if he can build on this win.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions