Being sick at gradings :(

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The pasta idea is a good one for the night before or very early on the day that you test. Definetly not some thing you want to eat just before the test. Plenty of fluids!! Nerves alone during a my tests have gotten me sweating like crazy. My last test was done one on one with the Sifu. I know how much control it took me to get through the test with out exploding and that was just my green belt test.... I can just imagine what you are going through now. If you have made it this far then you know your stuff and will just "get into the zone" as the saying goes come test time.
You may try eating a power bar an hour or so before the test. The idea of running through a "possible" test before-hand is a good one too. I did this a couple of times before my last one and it eased a lot of the anxiety.
You need not be concerned with getting sick during the test unless you let that stop you. If you get sick and come back for more then it should be viewed as a measure of your spirit not as an embarassment. Best of luck.

Theletch1
"make civilized the mind ...
make savage the body."

U

Ultraboy

Originally posted by Disco
I'm just going to come right out and say this because there is no sweet or sugar coated way to say it.

You've had good instruction, Right?

You know how and what to do, Right?

You DO believe in yourself, RIGHT?

Go and enjoy. Your both more than up for the challenge.

Unfortunately, that doesn't apply to everyone. I've been in violent situations before, and never panic. (Shotgun shoved into back of head, attacked downtown by two drunks attempting to rob me.) In those situations, I just became very calm and got through it. But grading? I feel horrible, nervous, frightened. I despise it, which is why my sensei has tested me alone. (God bless dear Roland.)

It's the performance thing, the fear of--I suppose--looking like a fool, of letting down your sensei. Ask me to do a defence in class--no problem. Ask me again in front of thirty people--I suddenly want to be confronted with two drunks again.

My two cents, worth less than that...

K

Kroy

Just go ahead and puke. Many proffesional athletes still get nervous before the big game and a little upchuck becomes part of their routine. Just try and avoid it during your test:barf: Once you get going every should fall into place and that sick feeling will disapear. Good Luck.

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I threw up once in the middle of my TKD test, and it actually helped me. I was doing a technique, asked to be excused, threw up, came back and nailed the technique.

My instructor said it was one of my best tests...

A

Angus

Originally posted by Chu-Chulain
Gatorade is also a good option, but personally I don't really go for the high sugar fix myself.

You're kidding, right? Last time I checked, drinks like Red Bull had anywhere between 25-50g of sugar, which is horrible! That's a big part of the reason why those kind of drinks are so bad: they give you quick energy that then falls off really fast and really hard. No good.

I wouldn't recommend Gatorade, either. Gatorade should only be drank after a workout to replenish electrolytes, etc, and water should be before hand. Otherwise it overloads you on sugars and other things that are not beneficial to your performance (ie, weighs you down; cramps!). Water is probably the best as far as liquids go. Drink a hell of a lot to flush out your system beforehand, though.

Protein a while beforehand would be good I think, but I wouldn't do very much (less than if you weren't sick), because if you are sick it's going to be harder for your body to process the protein at the same rate it would if you were healthy, so it'll sit your stomach longer.

Just my humble opinion.

K

Kenpomachine

If you only drink water you could have problems for lack of salts, thus, Gatorade and Aquarius would be a nice option. You have to take into account that when you sweat you're loosing salts as well as water.

P

pineapple head

Try to give up the curry and beer the previous night might help!:D
Hope you pass your test Ian.:asian:

A

Angus

Originally posted by Kenpomachine
If you only drink water you could have problems for lack of salts, thus, Gatorade and Aquarius would be a nice option. You have to take into account that when you sweat you're loosing salts as well as water.

Hence why you drink Gatorade after. If you do it before you overload on salts and your body won't cool down (sweat) very easily, which is very bad. Gatorade was specifically made for drinking afterwards, not before.

However, you may never notice either way.

OP
satans.barber

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sensei told me the other night that only *one* person who'd taken their black belt under Sensei Cawood had ever not been sick, so it doesn't bode well! Maybe he was just trying to wind me up though, although I doubt it!

But, it's been pushed back to July now, so I still have chance to get a bit fitter before the test. Maybe I'll just take a bucket along, hehe!

Ian.

K

Kenpomachine

Originally posted by Angus
Hence why you drink Gatorade after. If you do it before you overload on salts and your body won't cool down (sweat) very easily, which is very bad. Gatorade was specifically made for drinking afterwards, not before.

I don't know exactly about Gatorade, but isotonic drinks like Isostar are made to take while you're exercising, to delay the aparition of cramps.

Btw, triathletes drink CocaCola decarbonated among other things, to supply sugar once the body reserves are depleted.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Have a big plate of pasta the night before a race. Don't know what the purpose of it all is, but there are very few things physically that will drain you as much as running 26 miles in a row.

Remember ... it is the NIGHT the big event.

Grasshopper22

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I haven't personally done this but I haven't reached a high, physically demanding belt yet. If someone at my club did this though I wouldn't judge them negatively, especially if I already knew them. Anyway, if you're grading for your black belt surely that speaks for itself. You can't be that unfit or you woulnd't have got this far. I'm sure it won't but if it does happen, I'm sure people will forget about it soon enough and they'll have seen it several times before so it won't be a big deal. Good luck! :p

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Man you got to check the dates of the posts. This if from 9 years ago i think hes already taken the test by now

I haven't personally done this but I haven't reached a high, physically demanding belt yet. If someone at my club did this though I wouldn't judge them negatively, especially if I already knew them. Anyway, if you're grading for your black belt surely that speaks for itself. You can't be that unfit or you woulnd't have got this far. I'm sure it won't but if it does happen, I'm sure people will forget about it soon enough and they'll have seen it several times before so it won't be a big deal. Good luck! :p

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My wife tested for her orange belt with a torn right calf muscle... I would have had to sit that one out :)