Behold, Dwarves

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Tyson is only menacing when you can see him and remember those quick knockouts...

So your a dwarf...standing there in front of Smaug... and he speaks like Tyson.... and that is not menacing... ok you might giggle for a second but then...you run :D

smaug.jpg

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So your a dwarf...standing there in front of Smaug... and he speaks like Tyson.... and that is not menacing... ok you might giggle for a second but then...you run :D

smaug.jpg

Headline elfin news: Thorin wise elder Dwarf warrior dies of...Laughter.

Last edited:

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope they get an unkown to do smaugs voice. Nothing takes you out of a movie more when the fantasy creature makes you say, Hey, that's Sean Connery. An unkown voice, nice and deep perhaps, or something lizardy,but powerful would be nice.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You know, maybe they should go a different way with Smaug's voice, I've heard Pee Wee Herman is trying to make a comeback...

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I hope they get an unkown to do smaugs voice. Nothing takes you out of a movie more when the fantasy creature makes you say, Hey, that's Sean Connery. An unkown voice, nice and deep perhaps, or something lizardy,but powerful would be nice.
Kind of where I was going with the JEJ voice. Low and kind of booming.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
They will have a talking Smaug won't they? I think Shelob, the spider was a talker, but they didn't do it in the movie. Smaug, and the trolls, need to talk. That scene with the dwarves and trolls at the start of the Hobbit is an important little piece of writing.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thorin was supposed to be the oldest and have a greybeard. I also hear that they are inserting characters like Galadriel, Legolas and Frodo into the story.....Jackson.

There are also far too many fancy weapons there. Where are the Axes?

Depends on how they insert them. I can see inserting them as a framing piece, something to tie viewers unaware of the book to the Lord of The Rings. Something like the scenes in The Princess Bride where the grandfather is reading the story... Maybe Frodo reading Bilbo's book to Galadriel and Legolas.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
They will have a talking Smaug won't they? I think Shelob, the spider was a talker, but they didn't do it in the movie. Smaug, and the trolls, need to talk. That scene with the dwarves and trolls at the start of the Hobbit is an important little piece of writing.
Shelob had freak out quite a few arachnophobes and having a TALKING giant spider probably would've had 'em running out of the theater screaming.
Agreed that Jackson knows enough Tolkien lore (and the fans) to ensure that Trolls and Dragons will be able to articulate. It was probably easier for them that the Trolls featured in the trilogy didn't speak. Would'nt have much to say anyway... like a lot of the Orcs. Yet specifically, yes I'd imagine he'll have the 3 mountain trolls arguing over the best way to cook 13 dwarves and a hobbit. As for Smaug, Bilbo (using the ring) did carry on a conversation with the dragon for a couple or more pages. They'll have time on screen as well.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thorin was supposed to be the oldest and have a greybeard. I also hear that they are inserting characters like Galadriel, Legolas and Frodo into the story.....Jackson.

There are also far too many fancy weapons there. Where are the Axes?
Orlando Bloom would be fine, if he played Legolas' father, or if Legolas was portrayed as VERY young and NOT NAMED
Galadriel? NO
Frodo? Hell No. That whiny little so and so

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Legolas is very old compared to the other characters in the LOTR, Don. Altho' no exact figure is given in the texts themselves, the consensus is that he was born in the Second Age. Throwing a hat in the air that would make a reasonable guesstimate of his age of about 1000.

This quote shows that at a bare minimum he is more than 500 years old:

"Five hundred times have the red leaves fallen in Mirkwood in my home since [the building of the Golden Hall of Edoras],' said Legolas, 'and but a little while does that seem to us"

Here's an interesting, if hard to read due to the formatting, article on the Elven prince:

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/tolkien/36517/1

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't have an issue with the age thing (as Suk said the Elves in Tolkien are immortal and depending on his birth could be thousands of years old). My issue is that Legolas isn't mentioned in the story...although he IS the son of the king who takes Thorin captive..so it's at least his presence is within reason. Adding in Frodo and Galadriel though?? WTF??

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't have an issue with the age thing (as Suk said the Elves in Tolkien are immortal and depending on his birth could be thousands of years old). My issue is that Legolas isn't mentioned in the story...although he IS the son of the king who takes Thorin captive..so it's at least his presence is within reason. Adding in Frodo and Galadriel though?? WTF??

If they address the larger issue of the Necromancer/Sauron being driven from southern Mirkwood by The White Council it makes sense, Galadriel being part of that Council.

Not really sure on the Frodo bit, perhaps him reading out of the Red Book, or Bilbo reading it to him.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
It has been a few years, but, I don't remember Kili being an archer.

Nor do I, but I don't really remember much in the way of any mention of archery, something about hunting squirrels in Mirkwood, but that isn't specific to a character.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

The only way Frodo could be fit in would be either as a child, at the end (a glimpse, maybe a "Well, and here's my little nephew Frodo" to be picked up on)... or in an expository manner, introducing the story. Galadriel could be squeezed in as visiting the Mirkwood, I guess... But, again, an expository piece, probably set in Lothlorien, makes the most sense. For example, Galadriel or Legolas ask Frodo about Bilbo's adventure, and he begins to explain "in a whole in the ground, there lived a hobbit..."

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hollywood always seems to think they know what fans and readers of popular novels want or need and then they guess what newcomers to the genre/story-line want and need. They'll throw in familiar faces to provide a comfort level with a "familiar face"... not realizing just how VAST the Tolkien world really is... or giving a damn... if it'll make money then that's what counts, after all the money spent making those films they need to show a profit. It's a business, pure and simple. Producers will not get studio backing (read $$$$$) if they consistently have films that tank at the box office. Directors don't always have a "free hand" unless they're putting up the $$$$ or they agree to no salary just to get their films made, but how many directors do we know that have done that... a few.

For me, as long as the original story line is kept as closely as possible then I'm okay with it. I can understand deviations, i.e. Frodo and Sam meeting/fighting Shelob at the end of The Two Towers rather than the beginning of ROTK. Also Sam didn't knock himself out charging the door where the Orcs took Frodo, and other I guess minor story deviations throughout the trilogy.

As for the Hobbit... they know they got huge expectations to meet up to. Everyone is confident however of Jackson and the WETA crew to do the best and improve upon their past work(s). I'm hoping for an extended DVD set that'll help flesh out the story even more. Either way I'm excited for it just bummed that such a long time between films.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
I thought that Jackson did an acceptable job in its portrayal of Dwarves (read they looked kind of how I imagined them) in the LOTR movies. These Dwarves don't quite match up to that image somehow. Thorin looks far too young and "Klingon" for my tastes and the rest have too wide a range of appearance IMO. I get the need to create individual "characters" of them, but they seem a bit too "edgy" to me.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Legolas is very old compared to the other characters in the LOTR, Don. Altho' no exact figure is given in the texts themselves, the consensus is that he was born in the Second Age. Throwing a hat in the air that would make a reasonable guesstimate of his age of about 1000.

This quote shows that at a bare minimum he is more than 500 years old:

"Five hundred times have the red leaves fallen in Mirkwood in my home since [the building of the Golden Hall of Edoras],' said Legolas, 'and but a little while does that seem to us"

Here's an interesting, if hard to read due to the formatting, article on the Elven prince:

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/tolkien/36517/1
Thanks. Although, using him in the movie when he wasn't named in the book, is tacky at best.
One of the great novels of the genre, why screw with it anymore than absolutely necessary to make time/medium constraints?