Beginner, please give tips and advice

OP
Kaspow

Kaspow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Lad I get what you are saying about SD .... however if the crowd you run with get into those situations then you maybe have to reconsider your social circles (sorry but you wanna try and make the pro's) and well think on that,
I'll talk to my friends about the situation, I'll tell them that when I'm with them and they start **** I'm not stepping in
the last thing i need at the moment is trouble

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok so I talked to my parents, told them what I wanna be doing and they agreed to pay for the first month of mma classes at blackwell
right now i'm feeling kinda nervous and i'm thinking ''what if i won't be good enough''
damn i should be excited not nervous

It will be a good start, I would take the idea of 'not being good enough' out of your head though. start as now disabled said with no preconceptions or ideas, open yourself up to learning everything you can, you are a beginner no one expects you to do things perfectly or understand everything straight away so relax and enjoy yourself, while training is hard it can be enormous fun and you come away with a very legal 'high'. Like a lot of things there will be sessions you find frustrating but these get forgotten when you get it right. You aren't there to fight but to learn. See how you go, relax, work hard and enjoy, put competing to the back of your mind for a while until your coach says you're ready. Good luck.
Feel free to PM in a few months if you still want to compete and I'll see what I can do to help if you don't get it from your coach ( though you'll have to be honest lol and not say you are the greatest thing since sliced bread if you aren't! :)) You can also Pm if you need to convince your parents that MMA isn't human cock fighting! ( such a rude expression if you think about it :D

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
ok so I talked to my parents, told them what I wanna be doing and they agreed to pay for the first month of mma classes at blackwell
right now i'm feeling kinda nervous and i'm thinking ''what if i won't be good enough''

AWESOME mate, that's great. And for sure it's normal to be nervous like now disabled said, but really I recommend not putting all this excess pressure on yourself, like setting it up that you're going to fight, go pro, be in big events etc etc, that's all not to worry about now.

Focus just on really enjoying it, and see where that leads you. Just get started in training and absorb everything you can. Focus on the feeling of it and enjoying it rather than some overwhelming hypothetical future. Doubts are all part of it, but really, it's more important to train out of pure enjoyment. Let that lead you rather than what you 'think' you should do with this.

Have fun bro, let us know how it goes, am excited for ya, and it's so great to see such enthusiasm :)

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
It will be a good start, I would take the idea of 'not being good enough' out of your head though. start as now disabled said with no preconceptions or ideas, open yourself up to learning everything you can, you are a beginner no one expects you to do things perfectly or understand everything straight away so relax and enjoy yourself, while training is hard it can be enormous fun and you come away with a very legal 'high'. Like a lot of things there will be sessions you find frustrating but these get forgotten when you get it right. You aren't there to fight but to learn. See how you go, relax, work hard and enjoy, put competing to the back of your mind for a while until your coach says you're ready. Good luck.
Feel free to PM in a few months if you still want to compete and I'll see what I can do to help if you don't get it from your coach ( though you'll have to be honest lol and not say you are the greatest thing since sliced bread if you aren't! :)) You can also Pm if you need to convince your parents that MMA isn't human cock fighting! ( such a rude expression if you think about it :D
Well said Tez3 :)

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll talk to my friends about the situation, I'll tell them that when I'm with them and they start **** I'm not stepping in

Yeah ok ....but also be switched on enough to see if things are getting out of hand and walk away before anything kicks off

Also it might be that when you do start training that any trainer may look at first as he disinterested etc (remember he may well have seen hundreds just like yourself coming through his gym doors ) so you have to prove yourself and get over the first hurdle he/she has set for him/her to start taking you seriously and worth actually spending the long hours and days and weeks nursing and nurturing you along that it will take ....don't get any idea that right of the bat they gonna think you are the next whirlwind etc (they might) jst use the things you were given in the order of precedence ie. Two ears, two eyes , but only one mouth ....they say jump then you jump period prove yourself both physically and mentally young man

OP
Kaspow

Kaspow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
thanks a lot for everything :)
my parents think it's good that I wanna do something with my life and I know I need to relax but it's not that easy :D

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Please don't worry about being good enough in your first training, or first month(s). It is likely to just mess with your training and frustrate you. Remember (or take notes of) your first trainings to evaluate/compare your progress months later. You don't need to be great if you are just starting.

It is good you are going to start soon. But probably it will take years from now to your first amateur regional competition (if any and if you still want it by then). You have time. Use it wisely (or just listen to your coach).

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's important, coming from someone who had the same conversation a while back. Better to let them know beforehand, than have one of them start **** out of stupidity and get pissed at you for not joining. Some will still be annoyed, and my friends naturally changed after I stopped joining them in stupid stunts, but I'm still friendly with the people that I had that conversation with.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But probably it will take years from now to your first amateur regional competition (if any and if you still want it by then). You have time. Use it wisely (or just listen to your coach).

To an ammy fight it could be as little as six months, competing is in itself a learning experience. If his coach is convinced he can defend himself properly and has enough control not to go overboard he can easily compete within months, the trick though is to stay in the amateur ranks for a while and not be impatient to move up. Amateur fights don't count on your record so you can afford to lose as long as they are against better opponents. MMA in the UK is small as I've said before and friendly, if your opponent gets you in a good move, after the fight ask him about it, most likely he'll show you how it's done ( had to move many fighters off the warm up mats as they were grappling around with the chap they just fought to make way for those who are still to fight.) Watch a lot of fights learning to see them with a judges eye, learn to ref as well, gives you another insight (makes you useful as well lol).

OP
Kaspow

Kaspow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
today I did 8 minutes of skipping , 45 minutes on the bag and im about to go ride the exercise bike for 10km
in the evenings I also do weightlifting, I have a 7.5kg dumbbell and i do
50 reps on shoulders, 40 reps on biceps and 40 reps on triceps
for abs i do leg raises, around 40 reps
anything I should add to my workout?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
today I did 8 minutes of skipping , 45 minutes on the bag and im about to go ride the exercise bike for 10km
You have a rest day built in?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
nope, do i need one?
Yup. The rest day is when your muscles repair themselves after you spend all week damaging/tearing them. The rest of your workout I'm not commenting on, since once you start at BKK the coach there should be able to give you better advice, but for now just make sure you have that rest day once a week.

OP
Kaspow

Kaspow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yup. The rest day is when your muscles repair themselves after you spend all week damaging/tearing them. The rest of your workout I'm not commenting on, since once you start at BKK the coach there should be able to give you better advice, but for now just make sure you have that rest day once a week.
alright, noted
thanks

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Do cardio that will never go wrong but as kempo says you do need a rest day and to eat properly

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah ok ....but also be switched on enough to see if things are getting out of hand and walk away before anything kicks off

Also it might be that when you do start training that any trainer may look at first as he disinterested etc (remember he may well have seen hundreds just like yourself coming through his gym doors ) so you have to prove yourself and get over the first hurdle he/she has set for him/her to start taking you seriously and worth actually spending the long hours and days and weeks nursing and nurturing you along that it will take ....don't get any idea that right of the bat they gonna think you are the next whirlwind etc (they might) jst use the things you were given in the order of precedence ie. Two ears, two eyes , but only one mouth ....they say jump then you jump period prove yourself both physically and mentally young man
This right here. I’m pretty sure they’ve got quite a few guys coming in all gung-ho about being the next UFC champ and lasting a few days at best.

Latest Discussions