Beginner, please give tips and advice

OP
Kaspow

Kaspow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I kinda thought that was what you were gonna say

There is a massive difference between scrapping in the street and fighting pro or even semipro and a big big big change in mindset, I would point out to you that if you possibly tell a pro trainer that you like fighting and the street thing he may well turn away as yougo scrapping and well no gym gonna want to touch you as well things do have a tendency to catch up that way and bite ya firmly in the *** !!!

First of as said join a gym ....second don't go scrapping no more walk away and avoid it...it may give you a buzz young man but you wanna even think about fighting pro then that has gotta change big time and that is part of the discipline of being a pro fighter. Third your wanting to punch and kick etc ...great all part o the mma ufc thing but what happens like right now you might a guy who is not a kicker but a grappler and he gets inside your kicks (and trust me they will) and takes you to ground ? what ya gonna do then? (not being cheeky at all or nasty), As kempo said probably more politely than I will ....what ya gonna do when you meet a trained fighter ora teacher that is trying to teach you? as they will see your gaps very quickly (no matter how much you love fighting) can you take a hit not just a punch or a kick in the street but from a trained fighter? That is all part of the fight game not just giving it out but taking it to and not on the street (that a diff arena)

If and when you find a gym my advice is train first then see if you can handle the training as it not all the high end fancy stuff. See if you can and do have a ground game as in UFC and MMA your gonna need one lol and be humble at first. It may take awhile to find the right gym and the right people to teach you. Also get yourself a back up plan young man as evenif you make the pro's that will not last forever and you ain't gonna make millions and if you don't make it then you gotta have something to fall back on even if you do make it if you train and learn well maybe in time you could train or teach .... sorry if I'm blunt I am not being nasty in any way and I'm not trying to put you off at all
Lad it gonna be a long haul before you get in a ring with good fighters that you are and have to accept and training is not all beating *** or getting your *** beat that the street fighter in ya and yo gonna have to lose that attitude fast, The good trainers imo are looking for not just skill but dedication and a willingness to learn and be taught and there are a whole shedload of skills you do not have and that your gonna have to learn from the bottom up ....no short cuts I'm afraid
thanks for this, makes lots of sense and i get what you're trying to say
as i said before, i wanna test myself and see how far i can go
i'll definitely have to learn lots of new stuff but ya know i wanna give it a shot because why not
as long as i'm doing something i like doing then that's fine with me bro

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
thanks for this, makes lots of sense and i get what you're trying to say
as i said before, i wanna test myself and see how far i can go
i'll definitely have to learn lots of new stuff but ya know i wanna give it a shot because why not
as long as i'm doing something i like doing then that's fine with me bro

Have you ever studied a MA ?

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I did research on jeet kune do and boxing
it was mostly just watching videos and reading about it

Ok ...I'd suggest you as well as watching vids (yes they can be a good source at the right time and if you fully understand what hey are doing and why) go along to a dojo and watch and even take a few lessons then you are on your way

OP
Kaspow

Kaspow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ok ...I'd suggest you as well as watching vids (yes they can be a good source at the right time and if you fully understand what hey are doing and why) go along to a dojo and watch and even take a few lessons then you are on your way
will do sir, thanks for advice and stuff, really appreciated

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I did research on jeet kune do and boxing
it was mostly just watching videos and reading about it

reason I am saying that is if you go to say a jj or bjj dojo/gym and you don't think after you get a taste of things that ground work etc or grappling is for you then maybe a pure bowing gym might be the thing as if you wanna go into mma/ufc fights then a ground game you gonna have to have ...maube even kickboxing or MT would be an option if you wanna kick and punch but if you go get a taste of the ground game and you don't like then imo the mma/UFC way ain't for you

OP
Kaspow

Kaspow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
reason I am saying that is if you go to say a jj or bjj dojo/gym and you don't think after you get a taste of things that ground work etc or grappling is for you then maybe a pure bowing gym might be the thing as if you wanna go into mma/ufc fights then a ground game you gonna have to have ...maube even kickboxing or MT would be an option if you wanna kick and punch but if you go get a taste of the ground game and you don't like then imo the mma/UFC way ain't for you
only time will tell sir :D

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably mma, ufc and all that

You have several places to train in Ipswich, but if you want to fight pro you will have to find a gym that will take you to that level, not just to coach you to fight but to ensure you are matched fairly on good promotions. There's one within a reasonable travelling distance for you, Welcome to BKK Fighters! - BKK Fighters . If you can get up to London you can try London Shootfighters, Titan, Fight Clinic, Diesel Gym.

Firstly you need to be properly trained, that means going back to basics, not teaching yourself or following advice online however well meaning, you need a coach. As now disabled has said, you need to be dedicated, you need to put a lot into it if you want to fight In MMA. There isn't much money in MMA in the UK so while you can fight pro rules MMA you won't be turning pro for a very long time. You need contacts ( which I have though I'm not going to post at this moment but it's one of the things your coach should have) to get onto the shows that have the notice of the bigger promoters, this means you will have to travel, up to Bradford for one. It will cost you to start and you should be fighting amateur rules first ( some promotions will pay expenses for ammy fights so you shouldn't be too much out of pocket) Certain promoters should be avoided, others reached for such as Cagewarriors. Your best bet is to get yourself basic training and make the effort to get up to a gym like London Shoot (one of the best in the world) who deal with pro fighters all the time if you are really keen to be a pro fighter.
MMA training may not be what you think it is, but if you are willing to work hard and make sacrifices then you may get there.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hehe I was literally just about to say you should ask Tez3 about the process of getting into MMA event stuff, but she beat me to it hehe ;)

OP
Kaspow

Kaspow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I jump
You have several places to train in Ipswich, but if you want to fight pro you will have to find a gym that will take you to that level, not just to coach you to fight but to ensure you are matched fairly on good promotions. There's one within a reasonable travelling distance for you, Welcome to BKK Fighters! - BKK Fighters . If you can get up to London you can try London Shootfighters, Titan, Fight Clinic, Diesel Gym.

Firstly you need to be properly trained, that means going back to basics, not teaching yourself or following advice online however well meaning, you need a coach. As now disabled has said, you need to be dedicated, you need to put a lot into it if you want to fight In MMA. There isn't much money in MMA in the UK so while you can fight pro rules MMA you won't be turning pro for a very long time. You need contacts ( which I have though I'm not going to post at this moment but it's one of the things your coach should have) to get onto the shows that have the notice of the bigger promoters, this means you will have to travel, up to Bradford for one. It will cost you to start and you should be fighting amateur rules first ( some promotions will pay expenses for ammy fights so you shouldn't be too much out of pocket) Certain promoters should be avoided, others reached for such as Cagewarriors. Your best bet is to get yourself basic training and make the effort to get up to a gym like London Shoot (one of the best in the world) who deal with pro fighters all the time if you are really keen to be a pro fighter.
MMA training may not be what you think it is, but if you are willing to work hard and make sacrifices then you may get there.
very informative, thanks a lot

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

So, in your opinion, BKK is better than any option in Ipswich, for MMA? Including at technical level? That one is not far from me. I have passed my prime :) so competition is not my thing, but knowing you subscribe something available to me is good news.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, in your opinion, BKK is better than any option in Ipswitch, for MMA? Including at technical level? That one is not far from me. I have passed my prime :) so competition is not my thing, but knowing you subscribe something available to me is good news.

There's good training in Ipswich, MMA and Mixed Martial Arts Classes - Ipswich - United Kingdom, would prob be good for you. I suggested BKK for the OP specifically because they have competition fighters, he needs coaches who are willing to take on people intending to fight though it will be a long road if you don't do martial arts to start with! He could start at this one in Ipswich though as he has no MA experience!
Suffolk already has one MMA fighter who has made it to a UFC fight night card, it took him 6 years though from his fight pro fight. Arnold

For the OP, Avaddon MMA also has pro fighters, one of whom Jamie Powell was chosen to be on TUF until the programme was pulled. Contact 07815088243, 6A Boleness Road,Wisbech, PE13 2RR.

OP
Kaspow

Kaspow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There's good training in Ipswich, MMA and Mixed Martial Arts Classes - Ipswich - United Kingdom, would prob be good for you. I suggested BKK for the OP specifically because they have competition fighters, he needs coaches who are willing to take on people intending to fight though it will be a long road if you don't do martial arts to start with! He could start at this one in Ipswich though as he has no MA experience!
Suffolk already has one MMA fighter who has made it to a UFC fight night card, it took him 6 years though from his fight pro fight. Arnold

For the OP, Avaddon MMA also has pro fighters, one of whom Jamie Powell was chosen to be on TUF until the programme was pulled. Contact 07815088243, 6A Boleness Road,Wisbech, PE13 2RR.
ok so I talked to my parents, told them what I wanna be doing and they agreed to pay for the first month of mma classes at blackwell
right now i'm feeling kinda nervous and i'm thinking ''what if i won't be good enough''
damn i should be excited not nervous

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ok so I talked to my parents, told them what I wanna be doing and they agreed to pay for the first month of mma classes at blackwell
right now i'm feeling kinda nervous and i'm thinking ''what if i won't be good enough''
damn i should be excited not nervous

Lad that is part of training ...getting your head in the game ...it normal to be nervous and have those feelings ...but if you wanna make the "show" you need to overcome and adapt and conquer those feelings, See what @Tez3 said ...there a lot more to training that just the physical ....the mental side is every bit as important.

You are a clean slate totally and approach it as such .....learn from the bottom forget what you already think you know from vids and books .... go in clean and learn ....

I wish you the best

Oh and don't get into street fights lad as any serious trainer will show you the door ....they are looking for people that are dedicated and act same not to train you to go scrapping in the street ....and anyway just think you fight in the street you could get cut say on wrist and then your ays of being in the pros are ended period ...keep that in mind ...it shows more maturity and self dicipline to walk away from a fight than to walk into one !!!

OP
Kaspow

Kaspow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Lad that is part of training ...getting your head in the game ...it normal to be nervous and have those feelings ...but if you wanna make the "show" you need to overcome and adapt and conquer those feelings, See what @Tez3 said ...there a lot more to training that just the physical ....the mental side is every bit as important.

You are a clean slate totally and approach it as such .....learn from the bottom forget what you already think you know from vids and books .... go in clean and learn ....

I wish you the best

Oh and don't get into street fights lad as any serious trainer will show you the door ....they are looking for people that are dedicated and act same not to train you to go scrapping in the street ....and anyway just think you fight in the street you could get cut say on wrist and then your ays of being in the pros are ended period ...keep that in mind ...it shows more maturity and self dicipline to walk away from a fight than to walk into one !!!
i'm more level-headed now so i don't fight anyone unless it's absolutely necessary like u know a self defence situation or if i have to protect somebody
thanks for everything, you really made me rethink lots of things haha :D

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Lad I am no trainer or fight guru and never will be in any way but I have been around many young lads that are full of testosterone and fire and the key to making them is .......................get them to realize that yes the spirit and physical side has to be there and it will be given time co-operation and work but first you have to want to learn and have the capacity to take the knocks (I don't mean punches etc) but the times when you get up and think "hell no I can't do this" but you keep going and grit the teeth and get your behind in gear. Fighters are no super humans (be they in a cage or have to fight for real) they are dedicated people who have the guts the determination and the sheer will to get there to the best of their own capabilities and they don't give up and walk away, they do it properly and obey the rules of the "game"

Hold this to yourself

Train hard and fight easy

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i'm more level-headed now so i don't fight anyone unless it's absolutely necessary like u know a self defence situation or if i have to protect somebody
thanks for everything, you really made me rethink lots of things haha :D

Lad I get what you are saying about SD .... however if the crowd you run with get into those situations then you maybe have to reconsider your social circles (sorry but you wanna try and make the pro's) and well think on that,

Latest Discussions