Beginner, please give tips and advice

Discussion in 'Members in Motion' started by Kaspow, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Yokozuna514

Yokozuna514 Purple Belt

Even experienced people can lose matches from time to time. That is the beauty of sparring with a non-compliant opponent, anything can happen on any given day but the more ring/tatami/training floor experience you have the more you will get used to the contact and how to deal with the nervousness of stepping up to someone who is not trying to be your friend.

As someone said before, stay humble, but keep your eyes up and most importantly keep at it. You will start to feel more comfortable with it the more opportunities you have but hitting and being hit takes awhile to get used to if you do not have a fighting background.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Kaspow

Kaspow Orange Belt

i found out today that the guy i lost to trains boxing for 8 years

• Like Like x 1
  3. FriedRice

FriedRice Master Black Belt

Maybe against experienced women, old men or really weak & wimpy dudes that have been training a while but haven't improved much. Or if the new guy is much bigger, then possibly. But it's still embarrassing.

Someone who's intermediate in our gym is about 1.5 - 2 years of training and probably fought at least 1 ring fight. That guy, ain't losing to a Noob his size or even a little bigger, unless the Noob lied about his experience/training. I should be able to beat any Noob my size with just 1 hand throwing only jabs and they can go full power with all strikes.

• Like Like x 1
  4. FriedRice

You could be a prodigy, who knows. Looking at your video, it's pretty impressive based on what you said in terms of no training to your current amount of training. I know that I was never that good when I started Mai Thai, and that was with a sporadic background in TDK choppin'.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yokozuna514

Yokozuna514 Purple Belt

All things created equally, you are right. However it has been my experience that anyone CAN lose a match because of a number of reasons all of which do not necessarily have to do with experience level (eg: illness, poor hydration on the day, injury......etc.). Anyone I coach, I am sure you would do the same, I tell them not to 'fight' the belt, the rep, the record, but fight the man. He is only a man, not a God. Do not make him into one or you will surely lose.

But ya, all things created equally, I would love to see you work on a noob with just jabs. I appreciate the level of skill that would take and they should too.

• Like Like x 1
  6. FriedRice

LOL, if you're going to throw all of that in just to make your point, then it's quite frivolous. Hell, if I snuck up on Mike Tyson, after he just got KTFO by Buster Douglas, then went on a cocaine + booze binge for 72 hours straight....and I waited for the moment he tries to wake up to take a massive pee....hell, I may have a great chance....but what does that prove?

It's pretty easy and I have a lot of videos...but I'm too shy to post them.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  7. kempodisciple

kempodisciple MT Moderator Staff Member

Not sure if this is where hes going with it, but if you focus on the reputation, and go in a fight expecting to lose, thats whats going to happen. Obviously i cant beat mike tyson, but if i fought the local bigshot, my attotude going in could have a big impact on the match

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. FriedRice

What you're saying would make sense based on what he said, and I would agree that this should be the attitude in this case.

But I think Yokazuna514 was referencing my comment of a brand new, Noob vs. an Intermediate....of say, 1.5-2 years training.....where I said that the Intermediate should not be losing to him...otherwise, that Intermediate and/or his gym, probably sucks.

9. Yokozuna514

Yokozuna514 Purple Belt

Yes, a bit of both, TBH. I never want to step into the ring/tatami/training floor too confident (always be humble and do not take anything for granted) or too frightened of the opponent (ie: always good to train scared like maybe the other guy is doing more work than I am).

Noobs generally would not stand a chance against a seasoned competitor but depending on the size of the combatants, anyone could get a lucky shot in and turn the lights out.

• Like Like x 1
  10. kempodisciple

Missed that post-that part I agree with. If someone with 2 years experience can't beat someone with 6 weeks, barring some sort of unexpected injury or a huge difference in fitness, then there's a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  11. FriedRice

For me, I've programmed myself to have a blank, loose, relaxed feeling and state of mind....like I don't care if I get KTFO and just accept what happens. In a playful state, I fight the best.

True, there's that puncher's chance. I've been hit hard by Noobs before, because I was playing around too much. Quite a few of them lie about their experience though....saying they had no training. Also dudes with street fighting experience, that helps and can beat our weakest Intermediates, esp. the women.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yokozuna514

Yokozuna514 Purple Belt

Osu, that is one of the best state of minds to have when sparring (playful). When you love what you are doing, you will never work a day in your life.

LOL, ya, not everyone is forthcoming with all their training. Some street fighters can use some tricks to improve their chances to score hits but that game is pretty much over after you catch wind that this guy has a little more too him than he has let on.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Buka

Buka MT Moderator Staff Member

Hope your family issues resolve, bro. And I'm glad you're enjoying the sparring process.

I'd stay away from jabs to the midsection, though. You can get your head knocked off that way until you get a little more seasoned.

• Like Like x 1
  14. FriedRice

No, that's his best shot against someone who's much better. A Noob can rarely hit me in the head because of head movement, but my body can't dodge that fast and it's a surprise hit. If a Noob hits me 10x, 5-7 of them are usually jabs and like 1 cross to the body. When I go up against someone much better than me, cheap jabs to the body that causes little damage, are the ones that land the most; and to also setup for something.

You can get your head knocked off any time you throw any other punch, because there's now an opening in your guard and that hand is committed to an attack. The key to body punches is to drop a level to punch then come right back up.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. kempodisciple

Jabs to the body can be seriously damaging. I used to headhunt a bit, my old kickboxing instructor had me go a round with him and only did shots to the body. I don't think I'd ever had one round beat me up that badly before.

• Like Like x 1
  16. FriedRice

I rarely, if ever, got hurt nor affected by jabs to the body by someone my size. Nor have I hurt anyone my size & strength with them. It's only what they're setting up that's dangerous.

17. kempodisciple

For reference, I'm about 130 pounds, normally the smallest person by size and weight in any of my classes. That may be the difference. But 3 minutes of full strength body shots was not something I want to ever repeat.

18. FriedRice

Ok, that was someone really good and much better than you that's jacking you up with body jabs. He's only doing that because he didn't want to KO you with head shots. I'm sure someone who's much, much better than me can do the same with such body jabs.

But my point was, the much lesser skilled will most likely, only land body jabs the most and will not do much damage vs. someone much, much better. I mean I'm sure I can hurt some new guy or a female with a bunch of body jabs at full power, but they're not going to hurt me with the few that they land.

19. kempodisciple

Yup. Like i said it was my instructor, intentionally trying to teach me not to head hunt. Each time i went for his head he would slip, parry or out time me so i got hit and he didnt. But youre right, he was (probably still is) leagues better than me.

• Like Like x 2
  20. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

Never let a win go to your head. Never let a loss go to your heart.

Fix your brain. Loosing isn't the issue the emotional response is. Because it clouds you ability to focus. Wastes energy and wastes the energy of people trying to prop you up.

Being positive and upbeat in adversity is a discipline issue. Which will fix under enough adversity. Provided you are mindful of it.

Dude broke his leg in a kickboxing fight and recovered physically and mentally.

And look you won't get it in one day. It is a developmental process. But the sooner you start working on it. The better a martial artist you will be.

• Like Like x 4