bear hugs..onemore thing that could work?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, There were many discussions on this....saw a video by Bas Rutten.

One more way to escape from the Rear bear hug....as you feel the hug...expend you body (like a balloon)...then exhale (deflate)..and you will slip out...than strike the groin area..........

Off course you can use your legs to strike/rake the legs too/rear head butts and so on...

Try this with a partner and tell them to hug tight...then expand and exhale out! .............Aloha

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:

One more way to escape from the Rear bear hug....as you feel the hug...expend you body (like a balloon)...then exhale (deflate)..and you will slip out...than strike the groin area..........

Off course you can use your legs to strike/rake the legs too/rear head butts and so on...

Try this with a partner and tell them to hug tight...then expand and exhale out! .............Aloha

G'day. Love Bas Rutten's videos. The guy has some great ideas and amazing energy. He makes the same noises I do when I train!

I've found that the bearhug is usually applied from behind by surprise, and often as part of a multiple attacker scenario. One person applies the hug while the other wails on you.

I haven't tried the expand and contract theory, usually preferring to wriggle like crazy and thresh around with my feet and head.

I have one large friend (6'3" 350lbs +) who can get me in a bearhug, and due to his size and girth, there is very little I can do about it except wait until he gets tired and puts me down.

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:

If you wait until they hug you tight then you have waited too long and I very much doubt that the technique will be of any use.
The move is effective if you expand before they get control though.

Jesse

Orange Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:

I've seen this same video (unless he's shown it in acouple of training vidoes) It looks like a good move as long as your quick. A distraction like a jolt of your back hand to the attackers face (even if it doesn't make contact) should be enough to get their mind off what your doing with your chest.
I haven't actually used it in real life, but alot of that stuff that Bas shows is real useful and I bet you, he's probably used it once or twice in his bar bouncing career.

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
silatman said:
If you wait until they hug you tight then you have waited too long and I very much doubt that the technique will be of any use.

In any grab if you wait too long will not be good to you! This is only one more thing that is available along with the many hundreds of other stuffs you can do.

No too situtions will be the same.....yes it can can be more effective before they get more control over you!

Thank-you for sharing that.........Aloha

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
silatman said:

Good one! I was thinking of saying the same or similar thing. It is all in the timing.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
silatman said:
Exactly. Another consideration (aside from the dual attacker scenario mentioned above), is that rarely will the attacker hold you in a static bearhug, but will more likely use the hold to take you off your feet and slam you to the ground.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
but will more likely use the hold to take you off your feet and slam you to the ground.
I definitely agree! It isn't because they want to hold you in their arms and whisper softly in your ear! :p

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
I definitely agree! It isn't because they want to hold you in their arms and whisper softly in your ear! :p
That would probably depend on what part of town the attack occurred in... :lol:

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:

When I first learned this in wrestling we referred to it as the 'Santa going down the chimney' technique.
icon10.gif

Like all techniques it takes some practice to get the hang of it, but it's a good one. Regards. :asian: