Be careful

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Talk' started by Prostar, Jun 7, 2019.

1. DocWard

DocWard Blue Belt

You also said "I'm not saying he's (the instructor)innocent as I have no idea," and "we don't have all the details of what happened."

Suffice it to say, I'm using the term "choke" in a generic shorthand sense, to mean any technique that serves to occlude the carotid artery, which I suspect would be the typical cause of such as stroke.

I believe that, by definition, pedantic means being overly concerned with formality or accuracy to the point of missing the relevance of the actual point being made, to wit, that there needs to be more education about the possible risks of carotid occlusion, hemodynamic strokes as a result, and more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Headhunter

Headhunter Senior Master

The op says he was using a clinch so that's not a choke

3. DocWard

DocWard Blue Belt

Is it likely the "clinch," in which the instructor "proceeded to drag him around the room by the neck," occluded the carotid artery? If so, is it possible said occlusion result in the stroke? If so, then feel free to call it a ham sandwich, the point being that there needs to be more education regarding the dangers.

4. Rat

Rat Black Belt

I would expect every instructor to need a decent level first aid cert to teach and by extension that should at least give some insight into what you should and should not do. Pretty annoying never the less.

(and yes i know there are different levels and providers for first aid and they are semi tailored to the environment, ie forestry focused ones put a focus on forestry related things/spend extra time covering that along side the rest of the cirrculem you will find elsewhere at a similar level)

• Like Like x 1
  5. DocWard

DocWard Blue Belt

You're right, I would expect instructors to have some first aid certification. Most elementary First Aid certifications I am aware of teach basic ABCDE (Airway, Breathing, Circulation, Disability, Exposure) concepts. This includes CPR, controlling bleeding, and recognizing altered levels of consciousness. This last is what is relevant here. Unfortunately, most first aid training that I've seen doesn't go in depth as to what the causes are, only how to recognize and treat them at a first response level. I would be somewhat surprised to see training at the basic level about what we as individuals can do that are dangerous so that we may avoid them. It would be a good thing to have, particularly in a "focused" certification course such as you mention.

6. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. DocWard

DocWard Blue Belt

• Like Like x 1
  8. DocWard

DocWard Blue Belt

I did a quick google search for "krav maga clinches" and the first thing that popped up was this video.

It struck me that with the clinch he is using at the fifteen second mark, that if you leverage, or scissor your arms together enough, you have what would seem to be a blood choke.

9. Prostar

Prostar Orange Belt

I saw this version of it. I like the first thing the instructor says about it on Youtube.

Your skills are much better than mine when it comes to attachments. However it works with a little cut and paste.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DocWard

DocWard Blue Belt

Nope, I do it the same way. Highlight the url and copy and then paste it in the reply window.