BBs should know who Jhoon Goo Rhee and Jack Hwang (Hwang Sae Jin) was!

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It really comes down to what you value and how you are taught. I get people that do not know XXX instructor but that is not in the MA vein to me. Lineage is important in MA. That does not define what you are as an instructor however. But is should identify you within a given style. If that doesn't matter to someone they should be ok with saying they do not practice a Martial Art.
***Edit. I should have said TMA.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Master Chittim introduced Tae Kwon Do (Korean Karate) to the United States in 1956 by bringing Jhoon Rhee from Korean to his home in San Antonio, Texas.

This is a cool website Atlee Chittim - CottonValleyTaeKwonDo

The website lists a bunch of Karate credentials . Where did the "TKD" part come in? Is it including what Jhoon Rhee did at the CDK before he learned TKD as TKD?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
On a wind up Victrola?
I have to admit, we played 78's and 45's when I was a kid. I remember thinking 8-tracks & cassette tapes were the greatest evolution in the world. I had just started driving and bought my first vehicle which was a '73 GMC truck. The first thing I did was put an AM/FM cassette player in it. Seemed like a really big deal at the time.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to admit, we played 78's and 45's when I was a kid. I remember thinking 8-tracks & cassette tapes were the greatest evolution in the world. I had just started driving and bought my first vehicle which was a '73 GMC truck. The first thing I did was put an AM/FM cassette player in it. Seemed like a really big deal at the time.
My first car ('76 Ford Maverick) I had only had AM/FM. I put a big boom box in the passenger seat (okay, just on the other side of the bench seat) and belted it in.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
The website lists a bunch of Karate credentials . Where did the "TKD" part come in? Is it including what Jhoon Rhee did at the CDK before he learned TKD as TKD?

Yes it is refers back to the connection to CDK.

The style has considered itself a type of TKD and Korean Karate

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Jack Hwang's name rings a bell, but I couldn't tell you a thing about him. Joon Rhee, of course, really influenced TKD for a long time in the US and had a famous chain of schools. I remember the TV ads from the 80s/90s - "Nobody bodda me!" When I was growing up, I trained under one of his old students (not part of his chain). I think KKW TKD has really overtaken Joon Rhee's style in the US in the 21st century, but he laid the foundation.

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I met a guy who has never swiped an ATM card.
Which way? Was he so old he'd never used one and still refused to do so, or so young that they'd always had chips in his experience? Or so poor that he'd never had a bank account?

Or I guess, maybe never used anything but NFC from his phone?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Which way? Was he so old he'd never used one and still refused to do so, or so young that they'd always had chips in his experience? Or so poor that he'd never had a bank account?

Or I guess, maybe never used anything but NFC from his phone?

So young he only ever used contactless.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This thread is reminding me of a history class I took in college. I'm the type of person that I care more about the content or the lesson than trivial information. So if we learn, for example, that in 2008, Bruce7 discovered a new way of doing a roundhouse kick, I would forget that it happened in 2008, and I would forget that it was Bruce7 that discovered it. I would remember the new way of doing a roundhouse kick, what the old way was, and why the new way is better. Knowing it happened in 2008 and knowing Bruce7 discovered it does nothing for me, because those pieces of information don't have anything to do with the kick itself.

Anyway, in this class, I was so good at the homework assignments (because they focused on the content of the lessons) that my teacher named me and one other student as unofficial advisers. She said "if you're not sure what to do on your homework, ask Skribs or (the other person), because they did excellent on their papers." Come midterms...I got a D. I studied real hard for the final, harder than I've ever studied for any test in my life up to that point. Harder than I studied for SATs and college entrance exams. I got a C+ on the final.

Why did I get a D? Every single question on the test was multiple choice. And the questions were either:
  • Which event took place on 1/27/1912?
  • On what date did this event take place?
  • Who was responsible for this event?
  • What event was that person responsible for?
And the way my brain works, where I take the lessons learned from the events and discard the names and the dates, it was absolutely horrible. If the questions were things like "What was the lesson learned from this event" or "what effect did this event have on future issues" then it would have made a whole lot more sense to me.

Anyway, this thread kind of reminded me of that class. And how much different it was doing the take-home essays on the content of the history, vs. the in-class multiple choice tests that focused on names and dates.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread is reminding me of a history class I took in college. I'm the type of person that I care more about the content or the lesson than trivial information. So if we learn, for example, that in 2008, Bruce7 discovered a new way of doing a roundhouse kick, I would forget that it happened in 2008, and I would forget that it was Bruce7 that discovered it. I would remember the new way of doing a roundhouse kick, what the old way was, and why the new way is better. Knowing it happened in 2008 and knowing Bruce7 discovered it does nothing for me, because those pieces of information don't have anything to do with the kick itself.

Anyway, in this class, I was so good at the homework assignments (because they focused on the content of the lessons) that my teacher named me and one other student as unofficial advisers. She said "if you're not sure what to do on your homework, ask Skribs or (the other person), because they did excellent on their papers." Come midterms...I got a D. I studied real hard for the final, harder than I've ever studied for any test in my life up to that point. Harder than I studied for SATs and college entrance exams. I got a C+ on the final.

Why did I get a D? Every single question on the test was multiple choice. And the questions were either:
  • Which event took place on 1/27/1912?
  • On what date did this event take place?
  • Who was responsible for this event?
  • What event was that person responsible for?
And the way my brain works, where I take the lessons learned from the events and discard the names and the dates, it was absolutely horrible. If the questions were things like "What was the lesson learned from this event" or "what effect did this event have on future issues" then it would have made a whole lot more sense to me.

Anyway, this thread kind of reminded me of that class. And how much different it was doing the take-home essays on the content of the history, vs. the in-class multiple choice tests that focused on names and dates.
Yeah, I suck at those kinds of tests, too. In college, my non-western civ instructor gave me a C. He knew I'd taken notes and asked good questions in class and participated, but I've never scored very well on a typical history test in my life, so he gave me a better grade.

But to put this issue in perspective, from my point of view, it's more like knowing who George Washington was. It's an important name that comes up a lot in History class - not just tied to one event (that roundhouse kick). I can remember the basics of who important figures are (though I'm unlikely to remember whether they lived in the 1910's or 16th century). So it drives me nuts when someone doesn't bother to learn that kind of basics.

But, again, there's no reason it should have any impact on their ability to use or teach the material. It'll just make me grumble.

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I suck at those kinds of tests, too. In college, my non-western civ instructor gave me a C. He knew I'd taken notes and asked good questions in class and participated, but I've never scored very well on a typical history test in my life, so he gave me a better grade.

But to put this issue in perspective, from my point of view, it's more like knowing who George Washington was. It's an important name that comes up a lot in History class - not just tied to one event (that roundhouse kick). I can remember the basics of who important figures are (though I'm unlikely to remember whether they lived in the 1910's or 16th century). So it drives me nuts when someone doesn't bother to learn that kind of basics.

But, again, there's no reason it should have any impact on their ability to use or teach the material. It'll just make me grumble.

This was a good post.

After doing some research, it makes perfect since that she did not know who I was talking about. She had only train at ATA schools. If I had asked about Haeng Ung Lee, the father of ATA she would have known him. I had never heard of Haeng Ung Lee or ATA until I recently started trying to figure way schools today are so different. The history of Korean martial arts from 1945 to today is very confusing.
What I learn 40 years ago looks more like Shotokan Karate than today's Taekwondo. Do you think it is because WTF made Taekwondo a sport?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was a good post.

After doing some research, it makes perfect since that she did not know who I was talking about. She had only train at ATA schools. If I had asked about Haeng Ung Lee, the father of ATA she would have known him. I had never heard of Haeng Ung Lee or ATA until I recently started trying to figure way schools today are so different. The history of Korean martial arts from 1945 to today is very confusing.
What I learn 40 years ago looks more like Shotokan Karate than today's Taekwondo. Do you think it is because WTF made Taekwondo a sport?
"Today's Taekwondo" is too general a phrase. There are multiple flavors of TKD today. Some probably look like what you're used to. There's definitely a flavor out there that is heavily influenced by the progression of WTF rules.

For my personal take, I'm surprised anyone with a few years in TKD in the US isn't familiar with Jhoon Rhee's name. I'd have thought he was influential enough in the US that his name would come up, regardless of the branch. But that's possibly a flawed viewpoint. (For comparison, I'd consider it like someone in Gozo Shioda's branch of Aikido not knowing who Tomiki Kenji is - just seems odd to me.)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For my personal take, I'm surprised anyone with a few years in TKD in the US isn't familiar with Jhoon Rhee's name. I'd have thought he was influential enough in the US that his name would come up, regardless of the branch.
A person's age might have something to do with it. I'm familiar with Jhoon Rhee because when I was growing up I saw his television commercials. After that I saw him mentioned periodically in martial arts magazines. (Black Belt, et al). For young people coming up in the art today he's probably more of an historical figure and I'd guess that the average martial arts student isn't that concerned with the general history of their art.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A person's age might have something to do with it. I'm familiar with Jhoon Rhee because when I was growing up I saw his television commercials. After that I saw him mentioned periodically in martial arts magazines. (Black Belt, et al). For young people coming up in the art today he's probably more of an historical figure and I'd guess that the average martial arts student isn't that concerned with the general history of their art.
That's surely a component , though none of that is how I know of him. I never got into reading MA magazines, and don't recall any commercials of that type (they probably didn't make it to the area I grew up in). I picked up the name from forums or casual conversation with folks in TKD.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's surely a component , though none of that is how I know of him. I never got into reading MA magazines, and don't recall any commercials of that type (they probably didn't make it to the area I grew up in). I picked up the name from forums or casual conversation with folks in TKD.
Of course, I think the majority of martial arts students also don’t spend much time on martial arts forums or talking in depth with practitioners of other arts. We’re kind of the exceptions here.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course, I think the majority of martial arts students also don’t spend much time on martial arts forums or talking in depth with practitioners of other arts. We’re kind of the exceptions here.
Oh, I agree. My point was that I picked up that information in casual discussion, from outside the art. I'd have thought someone training for a few years would pick it up, even if by accident.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh, I agree. My point was that I picked up that information in casual discussion, from outside the art. I'd have thought someone training for a few years would pick it up, even if by accident.

I don't think the name's come up at my dojang. The history of the art doesn't come up much, either.

Then again, I'm horrible at gossip. In high school I only found out who was dating who after they broke up.