Bat Jam Do Vs. Bat Jam Do

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm seriously thinking of coming up with a Bat Jam Do vs Bat Jam Do set fight. I love practicing Bat Jam Do vs Staff and i think that coming up with a routine for bjd vs bjd will help improve my use of the BJD. Does anyone practice some sort of set fight routine with them?

wingerjim

Green Belt
Reaction score
No DanT, other than the entertainment value I see not much practical purpose for it. I learned a long time ago to choose a goal and keep it in focus without getting sidetracked because any deviation from my goal only is a waste of my time. I am not saying your proposal is a waste of time for you, but do not understand the purpose for myself. For me using the Bat Jam Do is to improve my empty hand techniques because where I live I would never use these for anything other than training. So to practice fighting with them just does not help me accomplish my goals. I do not believe I will ever be attached by someone with a set of these either, so learning to defend or attack with them is not in my plans.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you are thinking of creating a two-person choreographed form, I would discourage that activity. In my opinion, they teach you to choreograph, which translates into working cooperatively with a partner, and have little real combat skill development. They can impress an uneducated audience if you are doing a demonstration, so it that is what you want, well...

However, short two-person drills could be effective if you have some tough wooden blunts to work with. Come up with some attack-deflect/evade and counter, type drills that you can work on to develop some response and useable skills. Brief and directly to the point would be the theme. Translating the skills onto a real battlefield (something I hope you never need to do) would be quick, bloody, chaotic, and done. I imagine fighting with sharp blades of any kind, from a box cutter to a great sword, or a tomahawk to a halberd, would be some ugly and gruesome business. There will not be any prolonged dances and clashes of blades. It'll be more like, WHAM BANG THUNK, and somebody's intestines are spilling on the ground and everybody nearby is spattered in blood and the contents of those intestines.

It ain't glamorous. But I can appreciate the desire to develop genuine skill with the weapons with which we train.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
WHAM BANG THUNK, and somebody's intestines are spilling on the ground and everybody nearby is spattered in blood and the contents of those intestines.

ahh, that Flying Crane has the heart of a poet

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
ahh, that Flying Crane has the heart of a poet
Well yes.

And that poor fellow drops to the ground and starts screaming and thrashing about for a shockingly long period of time before he finally passes out and dies. These things are never quick and clean the way most of the movies like to show them. Go back and watch Reservoir Dogs, and take notes on Mr. Orange after he gets shot in the belly by the woman whose car he and Mr. White steal.

And the guy who did that to him, he shits his pants and starts to vomit, and shakes uncontrollably and starts sobbing hysterically from the adrenaline dump coursing through his body. At least the first time he does it. If he survives a few of these encounters he may learn to control his bowels and emotions, and might even develop a grim gallows humor about it all as he goes about the bloody business. He may lose some fingers or a limb along the way, and suffer through some ugly infections brought about by some slow-healing wounds that leave him disfigured.

Good stuff!
:)

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm seriously thinking of coming up with a Bat Jam Do vs Bat Jam Do set fight. I love practicing Bat Jam Do vs Staff and i think that coming up with a routine for bjd vs bjd will help improve my use of the BJD. Does anyone practice some sort of set fight routine with them?
We have several drills we do just as with empty hands and with the Luk Dim Boon Gwan. Aren't drills set routines?
As to a set Fight routine...no.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have several drills we do just as with empty hands and with the Luk Dim Boon Gwan. Aren't drills set routines?
As to a set Fight routine...no.

How do you approach the set fight routine as it were when you teach. A collection of organic moves, or is there a type of formula to work from within a particular art? Just thinking that you practice MT along with WC. If for example, the hypothesis of a WC encounter, would you work in some MT if as kind of forethought before a WC encounter? As apposed that some would stick to art doctrine.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have been giving this some thought, @geezer and @Danny T can elaborate if this would work/make sense.

I also study Kali. In the Kali I study we have what I would call a" progression, for lack of a better term. You have what amounts to a solo form. Next you move to a cooperative choreographed drill. Finally after you have not only demonstrated the proper use of techniques but also control you then do cooperative free flow (improvised) sets where you use your skill and speed but make sure you really control the power.

As for the idea that the Bid is only to improve the fist I would argue this shows a narrow view. Indeed, unless the zombie apocalypse finally happens I will likely never be walking down the street with a single, let alone 2, short swords BUT the same techniques you can use with a blade you can also use with something that does impact.

I suppose here is where the idea of why you study your art(s) comes in.

Latest Discussions