Basic tools for all striking art

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only in your wettest dreams

Kicking something 3' off the ground is certainly easier than kicking something 6' off the ground. Especially since sitting down will also make you less mobile.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kicking something 3' off the ground is certainly easier than kicking something 6' off the ground. Especially since sitting down will also make you less mobile.

Whilst I agree with this comment, when I wrote the sit down comment, I failed to add, the point that I would not be still, and in your narrow veiw I would be less mobile.
The following is a basic drill on being as comfortable on the floor, as in an upright position, getting down and up efficiently, can put your adversary in a false sense of security, you think someone is weak because they are in a position you have not trained in, or beleive is weak.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Everyones idea of basic striking is different.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whilst I agree with this comment, when I wrote the sit down comment, I failed to add, the point that I would not be still, and in your narrow veiw I would be less mobile.
The following is a basic drill on being as comfortable on the floor, as in an upright position, getting down and up efficiently, can put your adversary in a false sense of security, you think someone is weak because they are in a position you have not trained in, or beleive is weak.

You can certainly improve your mobility while seated. But if you really think you're as mobile sitting as standing... well, in your own words... in your wet dreams.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You can certainly improve your mobility while seated. But if you really think you're as mobile sitting as standing... well, in your own words... in your wet dreams.

Here we go again, I never said as mobile as standing, I said I would not be sitting still.and in your narrow veiw I would be less mobile, I would be more mobile than you think.
Let me guess, you have a Doctorate in, and sit all day?

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here we go again, I never said as mobile as standing, I said I would not be sitting still.and in your narrow veiw I would be less mobile, I would be more mobile than you think.
If you’re not “as mobile as standing”, then you are less mobile than when standing. The phrase is inherently relative to standing mobility.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Cool do you have an example of this working against resistance?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Only in your wettest dreams

You go ahead and sit on floor ....then I'll pee on you. Ha who'll get wet now!!! :p

BTW that actually happened to me once when I was a little kid. The "Pee-er" must have had something wrong with his equipment. Like too small a hole, because his stream would shoot about 8 feet with alarming accuracy. As his target I was so grossed out, that instead of wading in (oddly appropriate term under those circumstances) to fight him mano a mano, I just ran screaming all the way home to get cleaned up. :eek:

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I learned the head movement about 15 years after I learned to punch. I don't want my students to go through the re-learning I had to do.
I agree that most MA systems don't have head movement in their solo form training.

I learned my head movement during my 1st sparring experience. During my 1st sparring, one person played offense, Another person played defense. The person who play defense can only dodge, block, but cannot punch back. After I had learned the head movement from sparring, I also learned it through the 2 men form training. In Chinese wrestling, when my opponent grabs on my upper collar, I can dodge my head under his arm and move my head to the other side. That's exactly the same as to dodge under a punch.

Use head movement to dodge a crescent kick.

Use head movement to counter opponent's control.

head-circling.gif

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For beginners, I don't bother with back fist. Jab, hook (rudimentary at that point), cross, and uppercut are the basics.
I try to record all my

- striking tools.
- kicking tools.
- locking tools.
- throwing tools.
- ground game tools (I'm not qualified to do so).

I try to help my students to remember tools in their toolbox. Again, the purpose is not for training but for recording.

So far I have included only 4 kicks in my kicking toolbox:

1. Skip in right front heel kick.
2. Left front toe kick.
3. Right roundhouse kick.
4. Right side kick.

I have not decided whether I should include hook kick, spin hook kick, back kick, inside crescent kick, outside crescent kick, jumping kick, tornado kick, flying side kick, flying knee, ... into my toolbox yet.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that most MA systems don't have head movement in their solo form training.

I learned my head movement during my 1st sparring experience. During my 1st sparring, one person played offense, Another person played defense. The person who play defense can only dodge, block, but cannot punch back. After I had learned the head movement from sparring, I also learned it through the 2 men form training. In Chinese wrestling, when my opponent grabs on my upper collar, I can dodge my head under his arm and move my head to the other side. That's exactly the same as to dodge under a punch.

Use head movement to dodge a crescent kick.

Use head movement to counter opponent's control.

head-circling.gif
The first level of sparring I teach is “defensive sparring”, much like you describe.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Cool do you have an example of this working against resistance?

Only in light playful sparring, and the odd min or two in other demo's.most of the available footage is for training drills etc, continual movement, whilst looking for the counter, structure break, submission/control opportunities, creating space, to fill that space or escape to get back to your feet, but being comfortable and confident on the ground, I am just about to open my nursery for business, and will look for a better clip later, but the following is a breif idea of a training session aid, by a young chapn n Manchester.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I've actually tried this against someone in one of my old dojos, who could use it in point sparring (and only point sparring) effectively. As a result, I've tested it out in a few different dojos, and asked others to test it out too. Basically what I've found, is that it works in point sparring if your opponent is not expecting it. So you get a quick shot that they're not expecting, when their shot misses because you're too low for it. But that shot doesn't have any power to it. And stay low long enough to get power rather than just a transition, and you are incredibly open. You've got no backwards or diagonal mobility, so any sort of rush will immediately overwhelm you and screw you up.

The only person I know who managed to make something like that work effectively (i didn't ask him to try it, but he created his own variation), is a black belt in BJJ, and his position involved them overreaching for an attack which allowed him to pull them down and grapple them. If you knew what was coming you wouldn't fall for it (but then he would always submit me in different ways anyway).

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've actually tried this against someone in one of my old dojos, who could use it in point sparring (and only point sparring) effectively. As a result, I've tested it out in a few different dojos, and asked others to test it out too. Basically what I've found, is that it works in point sparring if your opponent is not expecting it. So you get a quick shot that they're not expecting, when their shot misses because you're too low for it. But that shot doesn't have any power to it. And stay low long enough to get power rather than just a transition, and you are incredibly open. You've got no backwards or diagonal mobility, so any sort of rush will immediately overwhelm you and screw you up.

The only person I know who managed to make something like that work effectively (i didn't ask him to try it, but he created his own variation), is a black belt in BJJ, and his position involved them overreaching for an attack which allowed him to pull them down and grapple them. If you knew what was coming you wouldn't fall for it (but then he would always submit me in different ways anyway).

Are you intercepting the leg/foot upon the point of impact, muscle memory is great for the reaction, but not so great if you understand the concept, kick is thrown, regardless of feinting, once your brain/you decide to execute, the process is ingrained, your technique becomes one entity, a kick becomes throw, contact, land, In the process discribed, we attack the striking leg, just as its about to land, explained in brief in this video.the same process onmthe ground.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Attack the rooting leg can be more effective (if you can reach it).
In certain styles, or situations this I agree with, but as a counter attacker in Kung Fu Wang terms, as you perform the kick:
A) you are in stance
B) you execute the kick, by lifting the striking leg
C) you perform the strike
D) the striking leg lands.
At the point just before D, we counter the leg, disrupting your balance,leaving you off balance and vunerable, but like your art, we have the option to attack the weight bearing leg, or something else, we adapt to whats infront of us and use the most efficient, or direct option, be it on the floor, or upright.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Only in light playful sparring, and the odd min or two in other demo's.most of the available footage is for training drills etc, continual movement, whilst looking for the counter, structure break, submission/control opportunities, creating space, to fill that space or escape to get back to your feet, but being comfortable and confident on the ground, I am just about to open my nursery for business, and will look for a better clip later, but the following is a breif idea of a training session aid, by a young chapn n Manchester.

I have a mate Ben Kelleher who fought with ground kicks. He got caught a few times.

Otherwise one FC famously let you do it.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Boxing, muay thai, MMA, Jits.
To be fair the blokes in the video was doing a silly dance before he hit the floor, watching sylvester and tweetie , and had more chance of getting a blowey off the queen of england, than defending themselves, are you forgetting your key training word for this month, NUANCE