Basic Striking Patterns

Epa

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ilustrisimo striking pattern: (Regino's system taught by Guro Inosanto)

1. Forehand to neck/clavicle
2. Backhand to elbow/floating rib
3. Forehand to elbow/floating rib
4. Backhand to neck/clavicle
5. Centerline thrust to stomach
6. Uppercut backhand strike to groin/waist
7. Uppercut backhand strike to groin/waist
8. Backhand thrust to neck
9. Forehand thrust to neck
10. Vertical strike to crown (can be slightly forehand or backhand angle)
11. Forehand downward strike to knee
12. Backhand downward strike to knee

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dan Anderson said:
James,

According to your chart, your numbers 1 & 2 strikes are to the shoulder or clavicles, your #10 is Remy's #12, and there is no 10 & 11 pokes to the eye? Is this correct?

That's correct Dan. I streamlined the striking program back around March. As Jeff said those angles are usually done the same. Since we are going Angles of attack and not Targets of attack, it doesn’t matter much. Case in point, Jeff and I were stick sparring one day and I did a number 5 thrust to the knee. Even though it was not a strike to the belly it was still the same Angle.

As far as the 1 & 2 being to the shoulder see above. In addition, I was taught to strike the shoulder. Remy was always trying to improve on the program. I feel that it is safer for beginners to strike the body at the beginning. Later apply all of the angles to the entire body. I look at the Modern Arnis angles as a template to learn from, as is much of our system.

:asian:

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In Rapid Arnis,we use:

1.Forehand slash to temple(opponents L)
2.Backhand slash to elbow or mid-section(R-L)
3.Forehand slash to elbow or mid-section(L-R)
4.Backhand to temple(opponents R)
5.Thrust to mid-section
6.Palm down thrust under chin(opponents L)
7.Palm up thrust under chin(opponents R)
8.Low Backhand to knee slashing upwards(R)
9.Low forehand to knee slashing upwards(L)
10.Outside witik to oppenents left side of head or neck(stab to neck with dagger)
11.Inside witik to opponents rightside of head(stab with dagger)
12.Overhand strike to top of head.

We use the same principle of "Angles" and not "targets" of attack.

For those who would like to read more....

www.rapidarnis.com

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
SAN MIGUEL ESKRIMA

Basic Strikes – 12 Angles of Attack

1. Diagonal forehand slash to neck or collarbone

2. Diagonal backhand slash to neck or collarbone

3. Horizontal forehand slash to waist, hip, or elbow

4. Horizontal backhand slash to waist, hip or elbow

5. Thrust to lower right quadrant – palm down

6. Thrust to lower left quadrant – palm up

7. Upward forehand diagonal slash to knee or hip

8. Upward backhand diagonal slash to knee or hip

9. Thrust to upper right quadrant – palm down

10. Thrust to upper left quadrant – palm up

11. Vertical slash downward to crown of head

12. High palm-down thrust to temple or eye

____

After the 12 Striking Angles are taught other striking patterns are taught that are combinations of the above. For example, "Vertical" is comprised of Angle 7, Angle 8, and Angle 3. The use of other strikes that are not part of the orginal 12 are also combined with footwork and incorporated into other patterns to form several other "basic striking patterns." For example, "Downward" is comprised of the following:

Step left back and Strike #1
Uno Dos
Strike #7
Cross Step and 2 Flywheel
Half Strike (Media)
Forward w/ Uno Dos

Cf. http://northshoreac.com/san_miguel_eskrima/downward_files/downward.mpg

Best,

Steve Lamade

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
T Hartman said:
1. That's correct Dan. I streamlined the striking program back around March. As Jeff said those angles are usually done the same. Since we are going Angles of attack and not Targets of attack, it doesn’t matter much. Case in point, Jeff and I were stick sparring one day and I did a number 5 thrust to the knee. Even though it was not a strike to the belly it was still the same Angle.

2. As far as the 1 & 2 being to the shoulder see above. In addition, I was taught to strike the shoulder. Remy was always trying to improve on the program. I feel that it is safer for beginners to strike the body at the beginning. Later apply all of the angles to the entire body. I look at the Modern Arnis angles as a template to learn from, as is much of our system.

1. Ahh, you changed it. I can understand why.
2. I know he taught to to shoulder to some, to the head to others.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Wes Tasker

Orange Belt
Reaction score
From Pekiti Tirsia Kali

Solo Baston Abcedario Set 1

1 - Horizontal Forehand to Left Ear
2 - Horizontal Backhand Right Ear
3 - Horizontal Forehand Left Elbow
4 - Horizontal Backhand Right Elbow
5 - Upward Thrust Perineum
6 - Backhand Diagonal to Right Clavicle all the way down to Left Foot
7 - Horizontal Forehand Left Knee
8 - Palm Up Thrust Solar Plexus
9 - Palm Down Thrust Heart
10 - Left Hand assisted Vertical Strike to Crown of Head
11 - Double Grip Downward strike to Bridge of Nose
12 - Right Downward Thrust to Bridge of Nose w/ Left Upward
Ridgehand to Groin

-wes tasker

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
Dan Anderson said:
James,

According to your chart, your numbers 1 & 2 strikes are to the shoulder or clavicles, your #10 is Remy's #12, and there is no 10 & 11 pokes to the eye? Is this correct?
MA-80 striking pattern
1. forehand strike to the temple
2. backhand strike to the temple
3. forehand strike to the elbow
4. backhand strike to the elbow
5. straight on stab to the stomach
6. overhand stab to the shoulder insertion
7. underhand stab to the shoulder insertion
8. backhand strike to the knee
9. forehand strike to the knee
10. overhand stab to the eye
11. underhand stab to the eye
12. straight down strike to the top of the head or crown, can be to the clavicle
13. any strike to the groin (humor)
:partyon:

I go by forehand and backhand as far as the number strikes go so the left hand #1 strike would be to your opponent's right temple while your right hand #1 strike would be to your opponent's left temple. I also have a numbering pattern for what I call "clip strikes."

Yours,
Dan Anderson
Hey Danny,

You might be joking about #13, but Guro Abu Jamilali and Jun Garcia were quite serious and their 13 strike format is exactly as you have presented it.
I will give you the full citation tomorrow when I have their book in front of me.

Sincerely,

Jerome

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
T Hartman said:
That's correct Dan. I streamlined the striking program back around March. As Jeff said those angles are usually done the same. Since we are going Angles of attack and not Targets of attack, it doesn’t matter much. Case in point, Jeff and I were stick sparring one day and I did a number 5 thrust to the knee. Even though it was not a strike to the belly it was still the same Angle.

As far as the 1 & 2 being to the shoulder see above. In addition, I was taught to strike the shoulder. Remy was always trying to improve on the program. I feel that it is safer for beginners to strike the body at the beginning. Later apply all of the angles to the entire body. I look at the Modern Arnis angles as a template to learn from, as is much of our system.

Hmmm.... The angles are the same for Remy's #6, #7 and #10, #11? Head/Eye level is not the same as the Chest/Heart level of the human
body, therefore there is in fact a different angle of attack. Look in a
mirror make the strikes slowly to the targets and WATCH your own arm,
particularly the elbow and wrist of the striking hand. There is definately a difference in the angle of the striking arm in relation the elevation of the strike to the head or the chest.

I have no problem what so ever with your decision to present a 10 strike system. Your orgainzation, your curriculum, your choice. Is it still Modern Arnis as taught by Professor Remy Presas? It is definately WMAA.

In the Paradigm Escrima/Arnis System, we use a number of different Cinco Teros or 5 strikes patterns with the base pattern being consistant with your strikes 1, 2, 9, 8 and 5 in that order but numbered 1 - 5. The other patterns are designed for usage determined by the relative positions of the bodies of the two individuals and target availability. We hit to targets and defend against angles of attack. Within our formating we will hit all 12 of the Modern Arnis targets and use all of the Modern Arnis attacking angles as well as some angles from several other systems.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Dan Anderson said:
6. overhand stab to the shoulder insertion
7. underhand stab to the shoulder insertion

I.e. to the glenohumeral joint? This would (potentially) dislocate the head of the humerus. But is it to the same-side shoulder or the opposite shoulder?

Best,

Steve Lamade

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
DrBarber said:
Hey Danny,

You might be joking about #13, but Guro Abu Jamilali and Jun Garcia were quite serious and their 13 strike format is exactly as you have presented it.
I will give you the full citation tomorrow when I have their book in front of me.

Sincerely,

Jerome
I only joke about it being numbered 13. I don't joke about the validity of the strike.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
lhommedieu said:
I.e. to the glenohumeral joint? This would (potentially) dislocate the head of the humerus. But is it to the same-side shoulder or the opposite shoulder?
Do you mean, cutting patterns like those awareness ribbon things that people hang on their lapels vs. more of a "u" shape between the strikes?

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
Dan Anderson said:
I only joke about it being numbered 13. I don't joke about the validity of the strike.

Yours,
Dan Anderson
Cool. Just a quick follow-up to yesterday's post. The 13 strike system was mistakenly reported as belonging to Abu Jalmaani/Jun Garcia, actually it was shown to me by a friend of Ama Guro Billy Bryant's, Santiago Cananteo. He simply added the 13 strike, a forehand uppercut to the groin, to the Modern Arnis 12 count system.

Guro Abu Jalmaani and Jun Garcia actually use a 14 count structure:

1. Forehand Strike to Temple
2. Backhand Strike to Temple
3. Horizontal Forehand Strike to Elbow/Rib
4. Horizontal Backhand Strike to Elbow/Rib
5. Downward Diagonal Forehand Strike to Knee
6. Downward Diagonal Backhand Strike to the Knee
7. Upward Forehand Strike to the Groin
8. Upward Backhand Strike to the Groin
9. Overhand Straight Jab (thrust) to the Eye
10. Reverse Overhand Straight Jab (thrust) to the Eye
11. Downward (chop/drop) Forehand Strike to the Collar Bone
12. Downward (chop/drop) Backhand Strike to the Collar Bone
13. Downward (chop/drop) Forehand Strike to Crown of the Head

Source: ARNIS: Filipino Art of Stick Fighting
Abu Jalmaani & Jun Garcia
Koinonia Productions, 1976; Stockton, CA.

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmm.... The angles are the same for Remy's #6, #7 and #10, #11? Head/Eye level is not the same as the Chest/Heart level of the human body, therefore there is in fact a different angle of attack. Look in a mirror make the strikes slowly to the targets and WATCH your own arm, particularly the elbow and wrist of the striking hand. There is definately a difference in the angle of the striking arm in relation the elevation of the strike to the head or the chest.
In my opinion the angles are similar enough to be classified as the same. I’m not going to sweat a couple of degree difference. I prefer to put more emphasis on the lines of attack and less on predetermined targets. We’ve recently applied the same approach to disarming.
I have no problem what so ever with your decision to present a 10 strike system. Your orgainzation, your curriculum, your choice. Is it still Modern Arnis as taught by Professor Remy Presas? It is definately WMAA.
I think you might be focusing too much on the method and not enough on the result. None of us will ever be Remy. I don’t teach things like he did, yet my students could pass the instructors test. In addition to preserving the art we must also look to the future. It is MODERN Arnis, not traditional Arnis. It is our duty as students of our late teacher to help the art progress, much like he did.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
DrBarber said:
Hmmm.... The angles are the same for Remy's #6, #7 and #10, #11? Head/Eye level is not the same as the Chest/Heart level of the human
body, therefore there is in fact a different angle of attack. Look in a
mirror make the strikes slowly to the targets and WATCH your own arm,
particularly the elbow and wrist of the striking hand. There is definately a difference in the angle of the striking arm in relation the elevation of the strike to the head or the chest.

So, following your rational, an angle #1 delivered to the shoulder/collarbone isn't the same as an angular forearm delivered to the head? A #8 delivered to the knee isn't the same as a backhand delivered to the ankle or shin?

The #10 and #11 targeted the eyes. The six and seven the clavicular area. They're virtually the same strikes, and the difference are so small that they're not worth mentioning, regardless of your perceptions on the positioning of the elbow. Remy's reasons for the reduncancy are clear--it was a targeting issue. He wasn't proposing some zippy new angle.

DrBarber said:
I have no problem what so ever with your decision to present a 10 strike system. Your orgainzation, your curriculum, your choice. Is it still Modern Arnis as taught by Professor Remy Presas?

Thus the reactionary response rears its ugly head.

When you say "Modern Arnis as taught by Professor Remy Presas," which era are you talking about? Do you teach it exactly the way it was taught you, uncorrupted by time, ill memory, and the need for modification or creativity? Did he never intend it to progress beyond his death?

I saw him proctor tests where at least three versions of his forms were performed, and he didn't caution his instructors on the variability of the technique nor seem to care all that much. He allowed us great license in execution of those alone.

The man was eclectic and fluid in his approach to the art. We are not allowed to be? He encouraged sharing of ideas and on at least one occasion incorporated T'ai Chi push hands methods into his de cadena drill. So with his passing we have to lock up everything he showed us and keep it pristine and unchanged?

We've seen this exhortation of "teaching the true art as the late master taught" play out with every single personality driven martial art that ever existed...and its simply silly. Even if in the modern age we were able to archive a master's methodology and know exactly what it was he taught, and when he taught it, that doesn't mean such a methodology ought to be religiously and obssessively followed. At that point we stop being artists and merely become plagiarists. The art stops progressing, and we settle down into arthritic thinking. We stop trying to be ourselves and try to be the shadow of one now gone.

I suspect he wouldn't have liked us to do that.

Regards,

Steve

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
T Hartman said:
I streamlined the striking program back around March. As Jeff said those angles are usually done the same. Since we are going Angles of attack and not Targets of attack, it doesn’t matter much.
I keep the original angles of attack the same as Prof. Presas taught me. I look at it from the aspect of the weapon. Since the cane is an impact weapon, I look at where an impact weapon is the most useful - hard bony areas. For the knife or bolo, my blade numbers of attack are a hair different as they go for cutting fleshy and connecting tissue areas.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think too much focus on targets runs the risk of losing the idea that in the FMA we defend against angles of attack, not enumerated attacks.

Cebu West

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
We all learned the 12 basic angles of attack in Modern Arnis. That was a solid foundation to start with. What we do with this knowledge and how we apply it is another story. For quite some time now I've been applying the 6/10 and 7/11 angles to different targets. For example, hitting the 7/11 or right side with a 6/10 strike and visa versa. These cross ripping strikes still maintain the basic striking angles while adding a wider variety of targets. Combining these angles is a natural progression in advancing the art. Without exploring the possibilities you sit around and gather dust while others pass you by.
Professor gave us everything we needed. Now it is our turn to explore all that he left for us and keep his Modern Arnis MODERN and on the cutting edge of the Filipino arts.

Sal

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I think too much focus on targets runs the risk of losing the idea that in the FMA we defend against angles of attack, not enumerated attacks.
The key here is the term too much. Targeting is very important, especially depending upon the weapon being used. As one becomes familiar with the techniques and so on, motion and angles are more easily recognized and looked at as such.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dan Anderson said:
The key here is the term too much. Targeting is very important, especially depending upon the weapon being used. As one becomes familiar with the techniques and so on, motion and angles are more easily recognized and looked at as such.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Agreed, my approach is to apply all of the angles to as many different targets as possible. As I said before, while sparring with Jeff I was able to execute a number 5 strike to his knee. If you pick a body apart and try to hit it with all of the angles, you my feel it redundant to using 6, 7 and 10, 11.

I have no problem with people using all 12 strikes and by no means do I think it’s wrong. In my opinion dropping two angles isn’t changing the system as much as streamlining or helping with in its evolution.

G

guromkb

Kali~Rongan

Abakada Isa striking template.

1.Horizontal strike to right temple
2.Backhand horizontal strike to left temple
3.Thrust to throat/upper chest area off of the right side
4.Horizontal strike to right elbow/floating rib area
5.Backhand horizontal strike to elbow/floating rib area
6.Straight thrust to abdomen
7.Horizontal strike to right knee
8.Backhand horizontal strike to left knee
9.Vertical cut to the top of head, through the body.

Latest Discussions