Basic Striking Patterns

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know this could get large, yet I still ask:

Post the striking pattern or numbering of your system.

Please do it one pattern per post.

Thank you

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Modern Arnis, WMAA organization:

1. High forehand diagonal swing
2. High backhand diagonal swing
3. Mid-level forehand horizontal swing
4. Mid-level backhand horizontal swing
5. Mid-level thrust
6. High forehand thrust
7. High backhand thrust
8. Low backhand diagonal swing
9. Low forehand diagonal swing
10. High vertical swing

Of course, we focus more on the angles than the level. The angle in the first two diagonal swings is not the same as that in the last two. The forehand thrust has palm down (or to the right), and the backhand thrust has palm up (or to the left), when done in the right hand. The #5,6,7 strikes are also done hooked. (Other strikes can also be hooked.) The #10 strike may be done as an overhead strike or one that moves with the tip in almost a horizontal line, straight into the face.

James Miller

Purple Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Modern Arnis, WMAA organization:

1. High forehand diagonal swing
2. High backhand diagonal swing
3. Mid-level forehand horizontal swing
4. Mid-level backhand horizontal swing
5. Mid-level thrust
6. High forehand thrust
7. High backhand thrust
8. Low backhand diagonal swing
9. Low forehand diagonal swing
10. High vertical swing

Of course, we focus more on the angles than the level. The angle in the first two diagonal swings is not the same as that in the last two. The forehand thrust has palm down (or to the right), and the backhand thrust has palm up (or to the left), when done in the right hand. The #5,6,7 strikes are also done hooked. (Other strikes can also be hooked.) The #10 strike may be done as an overhead strike or one that moves with the tip in almost a horizontal line, straight into the face.
Here is our chart for the angles of attack.

Attachments

• $Angles of Attack.jpg
    $Angles of Attack.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 1,516

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The first one that we use in our curriculum is from Bobby Taboada's Balintawak:

1: forehand to temple or clavicle
2: backhand to temple or clavicle
3: backhand to waist
4: forehand to waist
5: forehand curving thrust to abdomen
6: backhand curving thrust to upper chest
7: forehand curving thrust to upper chest
8: forehand to knee
9: backhand to knee
10: backhand thrust to eye
11: forehand thrust to eye
12: forehand to crown of head

Mike

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For some drills we use this set (I believe it's one of many from Lacoste/Inosanto).

1: forehand downward to neck/clavicle
2: backhand upward to waist/groin
3: forehand upward to waist/groin
4: backhand downward to neck/clavicle
5: forehand straight thrust to abdomen
6: backhand to waist
7: forehand to waist
8: backhand thrust to throat/face
9: forehand thrust to throat/face
10: backhand curving thrust to abdomen
11: forehand curving thrust to abdomen

Mike

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another we sometimes use is from Cacoy Canete's Eskrido.

1: forehand to crown of head
2: backhand to temple
3: forehand to temple
4: backhand upward to ribs
5: forehand upward to ribs
6: backhand to waist
7: forehand to waist
8: backhand to knee
9: forehand to knee
10: backhand thrust to face
11: forehand thrust to face
12: forehand thrust to abdomen

Mike

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another we use on a rare occasion is from traditional Doce Pares.

1: forehand to temple
2: backhand to temple
3: forehand to waist
4: backhand to waist
5: forehand thrust to abdomen
6: backhand thrust to abdomen
7: forehand to knee
8: backhand to knee
9: backhand thrust to face
10: forehand thrust to face
11: forehand to crown of head
12: backhand to crown of head

Mike

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
pesilat said:
The first one that we use in our curriculum is from Bobby Taboada's Balintawak:

1: forehand to temple or clavicle
2: backhand to temple or clavicle
3: backhand to waist
4: forehand to waist
5: forehand curving thrust to abdomen
6: backhand curving thrust to upper chest
7: forehand curving thrust to upper chest
8: forehand to knee
9: backhand to knee
10: backhand thrust to eye
11: forehand thrust to eye

Mike
In my organisation we use this as well.

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
James,

According to your chart, your numbers 1 & 2 strikes are to the shoulder or clavicles, your #10 is Remy's #12, and there is no 10 & 11 pokes to the eye? Is this correct?
MA-80 striking pattern
1. forehand strike to the temple
2. backhand strike to the temple
3. forehand strike to the elbow
4. backhand strike to the elbow
5. straight on stab to the stomach
6. overhand stab to the shoulder insertion
7. underhand stab to the shoulder insertion
8. backhand strike to the knee
9. forehand strike to the knee
10. overhand stab to the eye
11. underhand stab to the eye
12. straight down strike to the top of the head or crown, can be to the clavicle
13. any strike to the groin (humor)
:partyon:

I go by forehand and backhand as far as the number strikes go so the left hand #1 strike would be to your opponent's right temple while your right hand #1 strike would be to your opponent's left temple. I also have a numbering pattern for what I call "clip strikes."

Yours,
Dan Anderson

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pesilat,
Thanks for the various oatterbs. It goes to show you that when your comfortable with a pattern forget it and learn another.
:asian:

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
Pesilat,
Thanks for the various oatterbs. It goes to show you that when your comfortable with a pattern forget it and learn another.
:asian:

Absolutely. We use different patterns as we move through the curriculum because we draw from several systems and some of the drills work best with certain angling systems.

The reality of the situation is that the angle systems just give a common "shorthand" method of communication within a system or school. I don't have to tell someone, "Give me a forehand strike to my tempmle." I just say, "Give me an angle 1."

Or, describing a drill, I can say, "Angle 1, counter with angle 2, counter with angle 4" (or whatever).

That's the only real thing a specific set of angles does.

Angle sets in general, though, IMO also help to engender a conceptual understanding which, in turn, leads to people looking more at the underlying principles and concepts than at specific techniques.

Mike

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dan Anderson said:
According to your chart, your numbers 1 & 2 strikes are to the shoulder or clavicles, your #10 is Remy's #12, and there is no 10 & 11 pokes to the eye? Is this correct?
Yes. The WMAA has dropped the #10 and #11, which were the same as #6 and #7 but at a slightly higher target. They didn't offer a different angle! I know some people hook one of the pairs to get a different-looking strike.

This leaves a 10-count template.

13. any strike to the groin (humor)
I attended a seminar with an instructor whose system used a 12-count template with an added a 13th strike to the groin--basically making #12 and #13 an example of rompida or of up-and-down, to put it in Modern Arnis terms.

Epa

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Pesilat,

Do you have any idea where the Inosanto blend striking pattern you listed might come from? I'm a student of Guro Inosanto and I didn't recognize the pattern. I'm pretty sure it's not from Lacoste system, Ilustrisimo (Regino) system, Lameco system, or Villabrille system because I've seen those patterns before. Also, what drills do you use this numbering system for? That might help explain where it comes from. I know the question might be too obscure to answer because Guro Inosanto mixes systems so often, but anything you've got would be appreciated.

Eric

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Epa said:
Pesilat,

Do you have any idea where the Inosanto blend striking pattern you listed might come from? I'm a student of Guro Inosanto and I didn't recognize the pattern. I'm pretty sure it's not from Lacoste system, Ilustrisimo (Regino) system, Lameco system, or Villabrille system because I've seen those patterns before. Also, what drills do you use this numbering system for? That might help explain where it comes from. I know the question might be too obscure to answer because Guro Inosanto mixes systems so often, but anything you've got would be appreciated.

Eric

My instructor says it's one from Lacoste. And I've seen Guro Dan use it at seminars. We primarily use it with the meets & passes drill (I believe Guro Dan calls it abecedario). As I understand it, Lacoste had several numbering systems that he used.

However, it's possible that my instructor got the sources confused in his notes from training with Guro Dan. Show it to Guro Dan and I'm sure he'll be able to tell you where it came from (as I said, I've seen him use it at seminars). If you find out it's from a different source, please let me know :)

Mike

Epa

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Pesilat,

Thanks! I think I heard before that Lacoste used multiple numbering systems and I've seen two of them, but this may very well be a third. I wanted to clarify what you meant by curving thrust on numbers 10 and 11:

I'm assuming that means you're moving the stick in an arc, much like a normal strike with a stick, but that you're leading with the tip of the stick (or sword) as opposed to the edge of the weapon. Generally, when I've seen this done it's a fluid motion that cuts through all the way to the other side, with the stick kept at a 90 degree angle to the stick arm. I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about, I just wanted to clarify so that I do the right thing in front of Guro Inosanto, since I'm going to see him this weekend in Waterloo. Thanks again.

Eric

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Epa said:
Pesilat,

Eric

Eric,

Can you post some of the differences of these others striking patterns from the systems you mentioned?

Thank you

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Epa said:
Pesilat,

Thanks! I think I heard before that Lacoste used multiple numbering systems and I've seen two of them, but this may very well be a third. I wanted to clarify what you meant by curving thrust on numbers 10 and 11:

I'm assuming that means you're moving the stick in an arc, much like a normal strike with a stick, but that you're leading with the tip of the stick (or sword) as opposed to the edge of the weapon. Generally, when I've seen this done it's a fluid motion that cuts through all the way to the other side, with the stick kept at a 90 degree angle to the stick arm. I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about, I just wanted to clarify so that I do the right thing in front of Guro Inosanto, since I'm going to see him this weekend in Waterloo. Thanks again.

Eric

It sounds like you've got it. In GM Bobby Taboada calls it a "sungkiti" (sp?). If you watch this clip, you'll see me do some of them. The first is at around 7 seconds into the clip - I do a backhand curving thrust at chest level then a forehand curving thrust at chest level followed by an umbrella to a knee strike. This is a form called "shadowboxing" that GM Bobby Taboada teaches (or used to teach) in his system of Balintawak.

Mike

Epa

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Lacoste System: (One Version)

1. Diagonal downward forehand strike high
2. Diagonal downward backhand strike high
3. Horizontal forehand strike middle
4. Horizontal backhand strike middle
5. Centerline thrust middle
6. Backhand straight thrust high
7. Forehand straight thrust high
8. Vertical strike (sometimes done as a very steep backhand angle)
9. Diagonal downward forehand strike low (typically done from a squatting position)
10. Diagonal downward backhand strike low (typically done from a squatting position)
11. Diagonal upward forehand strike middle
12. Diagonal upward backhand strike middle

The way I was taught, the Lacoste-Inosanto system doesn't focus as much on specific targets with each angle, but on understanding the angle of attack. For example, the backhand straight thrust can be targeted to the eye, neck, chest, abdomen... and still be considered a #6 strike. Though some instructors do teach a basic set of targets to give students an idea of where they could target their strikes.

CMS

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Epa said:
Lacoste System: (One Version)

1. Diagonal downward forehand strike high
2. Diagonal downward backhand strike high
3. Horizontal forehand strike middle
4. Horizontal backhand strike middle
5. Centerline thrust middle
6. Backhand straight thrust high
7. Forehand straight thrust high
8. Vertical strike (sometimes done as a very steep backhand angle)
9. Diagonal downward forehand strike low (typically done from a squatting position)
10. Diagonal downward backhand strike low (typically done from a squatting position)
11. Diagonal upward forehand strike middle
12. Diagonal upward backhand strike middle

The way I was taught, the Lacoste-Inosanto system doesn't focus as much on specific targets with each angle, but on understanding the angle of attack. For example, the backhand straight thrust can be targeted to the eye, neck, chest, abdomen... and still be considered a #6 strike. Though some instructors do teach a basic set of targets to give students an idea of where they could target their strikes.
This is the Inosanto numbering system I've been taught and have seen in his seminars. It's very symmetrical and easy to learn. The 11 and 12 are basically uppercuts that don't seem to appear in the other numbering systems described in this thread.

Latest Discussions