Bare feet and full gi VS martial arts trainers and t-shirt

Grasshopper22

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've started Ju-Jitsu at a new club and at my old club everyone wore a full gi, their belt and bare feet (as I do at my new club and so do a couple of others) but there are quite a few people, mostly brown belts where I now train who just wear full-contact trousers, martial arts trainers and a plain black t-shirt.I would have thought that would be frowned upon, what do you think?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Subjective to the Teacher and Outlet.
Personally, I dont see how learning to grapple in plain clothes could be anything other than beneficial.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
uniform and requirement required are normally at the discretion of the instructor/ dojo owner. ( in the last 20 years insurance companies have driven what was required for things like sparring mainly )

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've started Ju-Jitsu at a new club and at my old club everyone wore a full gi, their belt and bare feet (as I do at my new club and so do a couple of others) but there are quite a few people, mostly brown belts where I now train who just wear full-contact trousers, martial arts trainers and a plain black t-shirt.I would have thought that would be frowned upon, what do you think?

What is worn is only window dressing. It has nothing to do with training with the exception of Judo wear the Gi is used in techniques. A 'full Gi' has only been used, as far as uniformity, since the 1920's. And that was only because it was a requirement placed on Funakoshi by the Japanese ministry in order to get Karate into the mainstream in Japan.

I've mentioned before, in Pangainoon and Uechi Ryu training the top and belt are seldom worn in many schools during training both here and in Okinawa.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've trained in jiu jitsu wearing t-shirts, it can get expensive as they get torn and stretched, but it is a good way to realistically apply your throws and grabs against people wearing everyday clothes. In judo, have always worn a full gi. When doing RBSD type courses or WWII combatives, always worn street clothes.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I can't overstate how little the uniform matters IMO.

It's valuable when people are learning the ropes of the art, to promote a training mindset, but not much use beyond that imho. Doesn't apply to "Gi sports"-BJJ, Judo-where the Gi is used for techniques.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Our founder wore a gi when he taught, so did his students.

That's good enough for me.

$shimabuku-sai.jpg

If my sensei told me that we were going to stop wearing a gi and start training in street clothes or athletic wear of some kind, that would be fine with me too.

Personally, I like to wear my gi and my obi. Helps to put me in the proper mindset to study karate. Many of the moves we do allow the use of the gi top as a handle so we can lower our partner to the ground safely after performing something like a sweep; if it was just a t-shirt, we'd either be ripping their shirt off or bouncing them off the ground. In self-defense, of course, I'm not as concerned with stopping the fall of the guy I just knocked over...

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's valuable when people are learning the ropes of the art, to promote a training mindset, but not much use beyond that imho. Doesn't apply to "Gi sports"-BJJ, Judo-where the Gi is used for techniques.
There are old photos of Kano wearing socks on the tatami. And what passed for a Judogi back in the day was often a might different from now. "Floods" weren't exactly uncommon. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think it would matter less on a practical level in striking arts. Grappling, however... I wouldn't want to spend money replacing my clothing. Growing up, I had school clothes and play clothes. While I could play in my school clothes, the play clothes were a lot more durable. My mom would have my *** if she caught me playing tackle football with the guys in my school clothes! :)

What I'm getting at is that a gi is durable, particularly a gi that is constructed for grappling, such as a judo or BJJ gi. Even the lightest weight jiu jitsu gi has a durable weave, reinforced collar, triple stitching and thicker material at stress points.

francium

White Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I agree- what ever the instructor is good with, is just right for the club. If no one at the club frowns upon it, I'd assume it's not an issue. Maybe just after a certain rank, the uniform changes or is discretionary? I know my dojo has rules like that. All that said- if there is a weird divide between gi-wearing students and non-gi-wearing students, I'd be a bit suspicious that everything is in harmony- clothing differences can mean a lot, or nothing at all. It's the context that matters.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as Jiu Jitsu goes. All training has its pupose. Its more than just a tradition to learn your technique wearing a gi. I think its very common to 1st learn with the gi as then learn to grapple without the gi. Its a differant game. When I did BJJ in the '90's we stayed after class to continue rolling. Half the class took off of their tops. They didn't see what I saw. They took their "handles" away from me (with my top on) while I learning how to grapple without the "handles." :)

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A fashion faux pas?

I shudder at the thought.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
As far as Jiu Jitsu goes. All training has its pupose. Its more than just a tradition to learn your technique wearing a gi. I think its very common to 1st learn with the gi as then learn to grapple without the gi. Its a differant game. When I did BJJ in the '90's we stayed after class to continue rolling. Half the class took off of their tops. They didn't see what I saw. They took their "handles" away from me (with my top on) while I learning how to grapple without the "handles." :)

Absolutely. Nogi is always an option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Unpopular opinion, but I think Gi grappling is closer to a street fight...no-gi rolling usually has no grabbing clothes. I try and avoid fighting naked people :)

Latest Discussions