Bando

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I understand that Dr. Gyi uses ranks for his Bando system--if I recall correctly (and I'm not at all sure that I do), there are nine sub-systems and one muct choose three to specialize in for black belt, then more are added. Dr. Gyi himself is 9th dan I believe.

There are of course other Bando traditions than Dr. Gyi's.

S

Stickgrappler

Phil Dunlap of Kachin Bando is another lineage. he's based in Mahwah NJ. i was fortunate enough to attend 3 seminars (which he offered free of charge to anyone) of Phil's and would recommend him to anyone interested in bando. he is a good guy and is promoting a little known art. http://www.thaing.net

i've heard a Master Tai, IIRC he has a site, just don't have the URL handy.

there is at least one more lineage in the US but i've not heard the name.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by moromoro
yes but is phil dunlap burmese???

I do not know, yet I do know I am not Filipino.

Does that mean I have no knowledge? I guess that would be up to the opinion of those that know me. In my opnion I have some knowledge of FMA, even though I am not Filipino. So, what does being Burmese have to do with the know the art of Bando?

OP
M

moromoro

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
brisbane australia, zamboanga philippines, sorsogo
it was just a question

if he is a GM of bando ,

where did he study it??

how long was he training for with his master??

also the british where in burma for a long time he might very well be british

In my opnion I have some knowledge of FMA, even though I am not Filipino.

every one is entitled to their opinions
how are you rich

the question was more about his lineage more than anything

S

Stickgrappler

moromoro,

i don't have specifics, just recall Phil giving a little of his background. his g'pa went through china and burma and somehow learned from kachins.

his g'pa taught him.

email him.

[email protected]

PhilDunlap

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Moro

I am not Burmese or Kachin for that matter. Hy is right I trained under my grandfather in the US, he lived in the Kachin state prior to and during WW2 and for a little while after. He was Irish but grew up in China his father wasa doctor it is a long story and has to do with English/Irish polotics. I have been to Burma a number of times but to fight not to train. The term I use is lineage holder and as much as I might try to achieve greatness I am lineage holder by default ie; last in line left.

In the Kachin tradition there is no ranking structure.

OP
M

moromoro

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
brisbane australia, zamboanga philippines, sorsogo
great to hear from you Phil

yes a friend of mine is also Burmese/ british decent.

i had a few questions,

is bando much like Muay Thai, it seems to have a more structured system (where as MT has no rankings just training)

also do you trian with weapons in your system????

thanks

terry

S

Stickgrappler

Phil is so modest, he did not remember that in addition to being the lineage holder of the Kachin arts, he is also the prettiest man alive :)

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The dha is the indiginous sword of Burma and Thailand, sometimes called the Darb by the Thais. Almost all the weapon based arts from these lands and some parts of Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam use this weapon, but they call both the weapon and the arts different names. My guess is that "Dha Do" is just an attempt to insert the dha into the Japanese nomenclature, using the Do as a "way of" and insert any weapon before; voila, instant weapon art. The most common arts in the west that include the dha are Bando and Krabi Krabong. Consequently, the dha is not a weapon that is very well suited for use in an Kendo-like art. The blade is designed for hacking motions and not the sturdiest of weapons. Most of the targets that it was used against had less armor than what I would think is common in the times and areas where a katana was used.

PhilDunlap

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Dha do would have to be a western creation not Burmese, Oulobo you guys use a different Dha than we do.

ndao1o.gif

The Kachin call it an Nhtu pronounced in-too and it is a cross beetween an axe and a sword the top of the blade is 3" min from tip to tip

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is an example of a traditional styled dha, although this example is more made for tourist consumption. The dha is a common blade throughout most of indochina along with a few other weapons that are generally associated, by collectors, with the Naga tribes, although I am sure thier use isn't exclusive to that particular tribe, the "Naga Dao" and the "Naga Ax".

Attachments

• $mini-dha2.JPG
    $mini-dha2.JPG
    7.2 KB · Views: 263