bando - please explain

T

thaiboxer

can anyone tell me the main differences between say muay thai and bando. do they have similar techniques? can anyone elaborate on these differences? does anyone have any serious experience in bando to comment on these?

its just that the bando info on the web ive seen is ordinary and doesnt have much to say about it or its weaponry.

thanks

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OP
S

Stickgrappler

hello arnisador,

i do not think Dr. Gyi has a site. if you find out, i.e. if there is one, please post. TIA.

OP
H

Hu Ren Qianzai Long

I found alot of past seminars, but not one upcoming one!:soapbox: :mad: :argue: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :shotgun: :machgunr: :idunno:

blackdiamondcobra

Purple Belt
Reaction score
(Message above was truncated..)Simply put, Burmese Lethwae as a martial sport is bare knuckle fighting as was traditionally popular in many of the neighboring countries. What we see today in Modern Ring Muay Thai is the evolution over time from the bare knuckle era into a newer variant that sought to integrate western influences, ideas and variables such as a ring, boxing gloves, judges and scoring, weight categories, timed rounds and further delineated rules concerning safety to name a few. This evolution took place slowly over time beginning in the mid 1920s. Burmese Lethwae has remained a bare knuckle fighting art including heabutts and throws in its arsenal but has made some small concessions and matchs now often use a ring, timed rounds, ring doctors, one ref but there are still no judges--the match must be won by KO or stoppage or the match is declared a draw. Once a year, Myanmar and Thailand engage in bare knuckle matches in the north during Songkron.There are many distinct martial systems within Myanmar because of the diverse ethnic make up of the minorities and sub groups that populate the region. This makes for many unique and diverse variations between the martial systems. Myanmar is a wealth of martial arts and martial arts knowledge that has yet to be tapped.Dr. Gyi gives seminars throughout the year at various schools most of which do little advertising. Sometimes listings appear on websites, IKF or black belt. He is teaching at the upcoming Dog Brothers camp in Los Angeles. He will also be in NYC before the end of the year. Dr. Gyi is a great teacher and his seminars are always excellent.