Bando and Maung Gyi.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Has Dr. Gyi designated a successor for his Bando organization?

In fact, I don't know if he considers it to be his system of Bando, or if he considers it to be the system of Bando, for which he has his own organization.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A guy I used to work with who studied Bando briefly at the Athens school claimed that Doc had named a successor, but didn't know who it was. This was in reply to my comment that, based on what had happened to other martial arts, within ten years of Dr. Gyi's death the entire Bando system would be available on videotape and there would be at least five persons claiming grandmaster status.

As to whether or not it is his own system of Bando, in the past I've heard it referred to as the Hanthawaddy system of Bando, implying that there are others.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know there are other lineages, but I have also gotten the impression that some people treat it as one Bando with several lines rather than as distinct systems. As in, Shorin-ryu and Goju-ryu are really distinct but the Shoreikan and Shobukan groups both consider themselves Goju-ryu, interpreted by differing organizations.

But then, while I've heard this of Bando, I've also heard it said that there is only on Jujutsu--and I don't agree with that.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Doc's Bando (American Bando Association) is currently run by a President under the "guidance" of an executive council. The current Pres. is John McNeil. the council is made up of the eldest of the elders. The tricky part is that there are many old shady BBs that are still floating around but aren't involved in the current regime. The multiple systems (different weapons, animals, ect.) are each headed by a different elder each. I think I still have the list. If anyone is interested PM me. As always the association has Doc very distinct influence (as it should be in my opinion) despite is attempts to convince us he is going to retire.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd like to see a comprehensive Bando book from him! His philosophy alone--without specific techniques--is well worth learning about. I always enjoy hearing him discuss the martial arts!

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's already been printed. There is a book that includes the systems, history, philosophy, ect. Unfortunately it is only supposed to be available to blackbelts in the system. They sell them at some of the Bando events, but sometimes they check you for the ring before they sell you the book. Knowledge is power.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll ask Dr. Gyi next time I see him. Who knows, maybe they make exceptions!

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by OULobo
He can and sometimes he will.

Rank is Knowledge and Power in this case ;)

I would be very interested in this as well, yet I understand the control factor.

Can you browse a copy of someone else?

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rich Parsons
Rank is Knowledge and Power in this case ;)

I would be very interested in this as well, yet I understand the control factor.

Can you browse a copy of someone else?

I don't know if this is supposed to be top secret info...but I believe both Renegade and Jaye Spiro have a copy?

It'd be worth asking them if we could take a look at it, eh Rich?

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't doubt that a few prominent figures in the MA community that have a relation of some sort to Doc have a copy. It's not really heavily restricted, just privilaged. I got a copy from my saya when I was leaving the school for a while and wanted to have both a connection with the art and a way to continue my training, even if it was just mental exercise. If I ever run into you guys and I have my copy on me, I'd be happy to let you guys look it over as I have a respect for your arts and work ethic.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by OULobo
I don't doubt that a few prominent figures in the MA community that have a relation of some sort to Doc have a copy. It's not really heavily restricted, just privilaged. I got a copy from my saya when I was leaving the school for a while and wanted to have both a connection with the art and a way to continue my training, even if it was just mental exercise. If I ever run into you guys and I have my copy on me, I'd be happy to let you guys look it over as I have a respect for your arts and work ethic.

Thats a good point. I've known the guy for almost 10 years or so; he knows me pretty well by face more so by name. He knows me for sure as one of "Remy's Boys" (Remy Presas).

I could probably get a copy. I'll just ask him next time I see him, and see what he says.

PAUL

Latest Discussions