Balintwak - Basics

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi, I dont know if I've posted in the right place but Im sure someone will move it if needed.

Im starting to learn the basics and dynamics of sticks, just really wanted to know if anybody has any tips to help me with my left hand. Im really dominant on my right side, but seem to have difficulty with doing my basics and dynamics with my left hand. Any one have any tips???
Thanks

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Raisin said:
Hi, I dont know if I've posted in the right place but Im sure someone will move it if needed.

Im starting to learn the basics and dynamics of sticks, just really wanted to know if anybody has any tips to help me with my left hand. Im really dominant on my right side, but seem to have difficulty with doing my basics and dynamics with my left hand. Any one have any tips???
Thanks

Is the FMA you are practicing Balintawak?

If so cool. If not then what art is it?

As to basics, I will attempt later after I get back from teaching class.

OP
Raewyn

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Is the FMA you are practicing Balintawak?

If so cool. If not then what art is it?

As to basics, I will attempt later after I get back from teaching class.
Yes it is Balintawak. Ive only just started learning it now.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Raisin,

Congratualtions on the beginning of your learning of Balintawak. :)

As the lineages are most likely different, there may be some variations, based upon who you are learning it from and if they changed anything or if their instructor(s) changed anything.

Balintawak Basics:

Proper Grip of the Cane - two fingers of punyo

Stance - oblique

Proper weight placement - the weight comes from the same side as the strike. Blocks are not weight dependant.

The Basic twelve angles of attack

Left hand or off hand basics
-- Left hand placement on the cane to monitor, manage, and delay the opponents cane. This is done with the cane in the webbing of the hand.
-- The Snake -- This is wear you snake your hand from one side of the cane to another.

An example: Hold the cane in your right hand. Place the back of your hand so the base of the hand is on the cane in front of you. Place a little pressure with the cane towards you or in other words into the back of your wrist/hand.
Rotate your hand 180 degrees so that the palm is now facing the cane. Leave your thumb across the cane as you rotate using the palm heel as the pivot point to the other side. The cane goes from being towards the left or straight up to the right. The stick should be in the webbing of your hand.

To come back now, the cane is about 45 degree angle across you. Rotate your hand on the palm heel around the cane, having your hand end up back in the webbing.

-- The Curl -- Cane in the right hand and your left hand in front of you. Stirke the cane at your hand as if you would hit the back of the hand. Your elbow should be in and it should not move much if at all through the practice. As your strike the back of your hand you rotate your hand so that it bends at the wrist (* similiar to how a lady bends her wrist for a gentlemen who greets her in the manner of the Queen's court *) Once the wrist is bent rotate your fingers so they point towards you, and then extend the hand back so it is straight with the arm. Your stick should be below your hand.

To come back you reverse the process, start with the palm facing you, bending the fingers/hand in so the fingers point towards you, rotate the hand away from you so the palm is out and then straighten your hand.

This should be done at a slow speed at first, to get the feel and timing or your cane moving in through the palce your hand just was. Your hand "Curls around" and avoids being hit.

This then leads to the Abecedario template where the instructor feeds the angles 1 through 12 in order, and the student blocks and counter strike on the same side as the block was on.

After the student becomes proficient with the Abecedario then the Seguidas is taught. This is where the instructor strikes the angles one through 12 in a random manner to mix up the strikes and for the student to block.

Then you beginning teaching some techniques, that you can integrate into the Seguidas. Technically this is Corraidas, yet I refer to it as Baby Corraidas as you are just learning how to stand or walk, as you do Seguidas and then you do the new technique and then go back to Seguidas.

I hope this helps a little.

Best regards

OP
Raewyn

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Rich that was great!!!!!! Thanks. Ill need to enquire more in regards to exactly what lineage im learning. I do know that we have to get alot of swing from the hips.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Raisin said:
Hey Rich that was great!!!!!! Thanks. Ill need to enquire more in regards to exactly what lineage im learning. I do know that we have to get alot of swing from the hips.

That is part of the weight placement, and this allows for the weight to be put into the strike. :) Remember Anciong Bacon was a very small man, yet respected for his capabilities which included his striking power. :)

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Raisin said:

Thanks

What part of the Balintawak family are you from?

OP
Raewyn

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Datu Puti said:
What part of the Balintawak family are you from?
I dont mean to sound ignorant, but I did not realise there were different families??? I would be what you call an absolute beginner and am only just learning. Im trying to look into the lineage of what it is I am learning and am reading up on alot of stuff. I think I need to ask a few more questions. Could you point me through to any threads that may help me??

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Raisin said:
I dont mean to sound ignorant, but I did not realise there were different families??? I would be what you call an absolute beginner and am only just learning. Im trying to look into the lineage of what it is I am learning and am reading up on alot of stuff. I think I need to ask a few more questions. Could you point me through to any threads that may help me??

Check this thread even though it was locked later on, there is a post in there number 7 that has a list of websites from some of those who trained in Balintawak, and may have their own organization or system now.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13634&highlight=Balintawak

PS: It all come from Anciong Bacon and his training. The lineage are those who had schools or taught ot teach Balintawak.

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Raisin said:
Ive just found out that I am learning Balintawak Arnis and we follow Bobby Taboada.

I've met Bobby a couple times. I like him, he's a good man!

OP
Raewyn

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Datu Puti said:
I've met Bobby a couple times. I like him, he's a good man!
so I should look forward then to learning some really great stuff??

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Raisin said:
so I should look forward then to learning some really great stuff??

I would think that you're going to have a lot of fun with the program!

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well it's almost 12:30am and I have a kid's FMA camp to teach in the morning. Talk to you later.

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Raisin said:
I dont mean to sound ignorant, but I did not realise there were different families???
Here is part of the family tree. There are some people missing. I will be updating the list in the near future.

Attachments

• $Balintawak Family Tree.jpg
    $Balintawak Family Tree.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 672

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Tim,

Where did you get the family tree from? Did Remy
learn only from Maranga and Moncal? I was under
the impression that he also learned some from Anciong!
Am I completely mistaken in this or was it just that
Maranga and Moncal were his primary teacher's!

Brian R. VanCise

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
Hey Tim,

Where did you get the family tree from? Did Remy learn only from Maranga and Moncal? I was under the impression that he also learned some from Anciong! Am I completely mistaken in this or was it just that Maranga and Moncal were his primary teacher's!

Brian R. VanCise

Manong Ted gave me a hand written copy and then I made it into a jpeg. Remy didn't start with Anciong, but he did end up with him. Remy started training with Moncal. When he could teach him no more he was then taken to Maranga, then eventually Bacon.

:asian:

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
Thanks Tim,

That was pretty much my understanding of the training
progression as it was told to me!

Brian R. VanCise

When I get the updated chart setup I'll send you a copy if you want one.

:asian:

Latest Discussions