Bagua Circle Walking - Now it makes sense.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sure, but I'm talking about getting punched in the face over and over again without doing anything to really stop it. In short, while that certainly looks nice, it doesn't look very realistic or practical.
This is why I had my wife try it on me. The goal was to see what forces were in play in terms of me being able to resist and to see how I might be affected if someone stronger does the same thing. What I felt was real. I could feel where I would be straining, I could feel the improper lift which is why my neck was sore after doing it. I could also feel points of imbalance. I pride myself on good footwork and balance and I could feel it eating away at.

I'm not sure if you have the chance to test it out, but if you do I would recommend that just to see what the effect of something like that is. In terms of how to set it up.. Well that's a different story. I don't train Bagua. What I could tell was that I got the circle walking wrong, it wasn't consistent. I was making more of a square. My wife was doing the same, We could tell when it wasn't working and when we hit that point, we simply started to walk into the person to create the circle. The circle walking was the main force of the pull on the neck. If it feels like you have to us a lot of arm to get the person to turn then you aren't walking correctly or in the correct position.

After a couple of tries, I immediately felt that I would actually have to practice circle walking, slow at first but then learn how to walk fast too.

There's a big difference between grabbing a wrist in mid punch and grabbing a wrist in a clench. BTW, grabbing a wrist in a clench isn't very easy either.
As long as you slow the punch, you'll be able to grab the wrist provided that you have the grip strength. It's really difficult to near impossible to grab the wrist of the punching arm if you haven't done anything to slow it down. It may also be easier to grab a wrist if you distract, that way the person forgets about he arm and just let it hang out there with zero defense or offense in play.

I do the same with sweeping. If I can make you forget that you have legs then it will be easier for me to sweep and foot hook you. But I wouldn't recommend anyone trying to pull grabbing a punch by snatching it out of the air. Slow ones and uncommitted punches are going to be the minimum requirement for that.

This is all theory, and while I appreciate it, I'm simply asking to see this theory being applied.
If I trained bagua I would take you up on that challenge. But since I don't, I can't go beyond theory and countering theory based on what I was feeling. Though an inexperienced effort to reproduce what I saw.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is all theory, and while I appreciate it, I'm simply asking to see this theory being applied.
Will you call this is all theory If someone says when he,

- grabs on his opponent's jacket, if his opponent can break apart his jacket grabbing within 1 minutes,
- gets his opponent into a head lock, if he can't make his opponent to tap out within 5 seconds,
- uses rhino guard, if his opponent can punch on his head within 20 punches.
- lets his opponent to use roundhouse kick to kick on his low leg, if he stops before his opponent stops,

he will pay his opponent $100, otherwise his opponent will need to pay him $10?

Sometime a technique may be just theory, but the ability will never be theory. Does that girl in that clip have ability? We won't be able to know.

Last edited:
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Does that girl in that clip have ability? We won't be able to know.
Reach out to her and ask. She seemed like a down to earth person that enjoyed teaching.. Probably easy way to ask tell if someone knows is to ask questions about how to set it up.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
to ask questions about how to set it up.
The "neck wiping" is a very common Chinese wrestling skill.

neck-wiping.gif

Whether your opponent's punches can land on your face when you apply that technique depend on your set up. The praying mantis "Mo Pan Shou" is one good way to set it up.

Last edited: