Bad wallstreet occupyer behavior

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, unlike the Tea Party rallies, there is a lot of bad behavior coming from the silly people occupying wallstreet.

http://biggovernment.com/publius/2011/10/08/local-residents-businesses-want-occupywallst-to-end/

Mike Keane, who owns O’Hara’s Restaurant and Pub, said that the theft of soap and toilet paper had soared and that one protester had used the bathroom but had failed to properly use the toilet. Both Ms. Tzortzatos, owner of the Panini and Company Cafe, and Mr. Keane said the protesters rarely bought anything, yet hurled curses when they were told that only paying customers could use their bathrooms.
Steve Zamfotis, manager of another nearby store, Steve’s Pizza, said: “They are pests. They go to the bathroom and don’t even buy a cup of coffee.”
Mr. Zamfotis closed his bathroom after it repeatedly flooded from protesters’ bathing there.
Kira Annika, a spokeswoman for the protesters, wrote in an e-mail that she had not heard such complaints: “We were under the impression that the local business community appreciated our patronage.”
In a widely distributed pamphlet, “Welcome to Liberty Plaza: Home of Occupy Wall Street,” participants were instructed where to find relief. “After you’ve dined,” it reads, “feel free to refresh yourself in the restrooms of neighboring businesses like Burger King and McDonald’s without feeling obligated to buy anything.”
A manager of the Burger King in question said he had no trouble with the protesters, though a maintenance worker at the McDonald’s, Deon Cook, said that in recent days he had been forced to clean the bathroom every five minutes.
“I’m looking forward to it being over,” Mr. Cook said.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Protesters clashed with security staff when they tried to enter a museum in Washington on Saturday, prompting one guard to usepepper spray and leading to at least one arrest, a spokeswoman said.
The incident occurred at The Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum around 3:15 pm (1915 GMT), after hundreds of activists had marched from Freedom Plaza, near the White House, along the National Mall towards the US Capitol.
Some of those in the demonstration were affiliated with the Occupy DC protest group that sprung up earlier this week as a spin-off of the larger Occupy Wall Street movement in New York, angered at "corporate greed."
Smithsonian spokeswoman Linda St. Thomas said a group of the protesters were confronted when they tried to push through the doors and enter the Air and Space Museum.
"When they were told they couldn't bring the banners they were carrying inside one security officer used pepper spray," she said.
"There were a couple of hundred protesters in the area at the time and Washington police were called. There was one arrest that I know of," she added, noting that the museum closed its doors two hours early because of the clash. "

There's something missing isn't there? They were told they couldn't bring their banners in then pepper sprayed... did they refuse, did they have time to obey the instruction or were they just told then sprayed?

One of the joys of a country proudly trumpeting they are a country of free speech is that is exactly what you get... free speech, now you can live with it or ban it. Or you can sound like a maiden aunt on discovering what she thinks is a brothel is being set up opposite her house! which of course it never is.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know what actually happened, but I know what is being reported. I would suspect that there will be video from security cameras. But the news story I read said that the protesters entered the museum and stated that they wanted to protest in front of the exhibits of 'war' planes to protest the current wars. One security guard tried to stop them and some of the protesters grabbed him and pinned him against a wall to allow the other protesters to enter; the second security guard then began to pepper spray those holding the security guard.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2011/10/08/general-us-capital-protest_8724745.html

Smithsonian spokesman John Gibbons said a large group of demonstrators, estimated at 100 to 200 people, arrived at about 3 p.m. and tried to enter the National Mall museum. When a security guard stopped group members from entering, saying they could not bring in signs, he was apparently held by demonstrators, Gibbons said. A second guard who arrived used pepper spray on at least one person and the crowd dispersed, he added.

If that is what happened, I have no problem with these punks getting pepper sprayed.

I'd also like to point out that the Smithsonian Museum is not public property. People plan their vacations around visiting exhibits like this; for some it's the event of a lifetime. Schools send busloads of students for educational purposes. They pay to get in, they have a perfect right to see those exhibits, and not a pack of smelly dirty hippies protesting in front of the exhibits. Stand outside on public property and protest? Sure. Barge into a private museum so that they can protest in front of the exhibits? No.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been in a number of places that have locks on their rest rooms and strictly control access to staff and paying customers. I've got no problem with that. I've often bought a tea or soda to gain access. Inconvenient? sure. But if you want public restrooms, I'm sure the government would provide, along with higher taxes to cover the costs. Also, the rest rooms provided to take a crap and wash your hands. Expecting folks to flush doesn't seem unreasonable, though in some cases is too complex for some. It's not there to be a shower. Go to a truck stop already, they offer that service.

What I want to know is, how are these people supporting themselves?

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
They pay to get in, they have a perfect right to see those exhibits, and not a pack of smelly dirty hippies protesting in front of the exhibits.

The Smithsonian is free. At least the Natural History Museum is, which I've entered twice for free.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Smithsonian is free. At least the Natural History Museum is, which I've entered twice for free.

I beg your pardon. Yes, entrance is free to the public. I hope my point remains; it is not 'public space' open to protesters with banners standing in front of the exhibits. The people who come to the Smithsonian from all over the USA come to see the exhibits, not to see the protesters.

I'll tell you this much; I've been to the Air and Space Museum once; while I was in the Marines. It was a special event for me; and I remember it well. If I had been stopped from viewing the exhibits by some banners unfurled by protesters, there would have been a punch-up. And frankly, I wish the DC police had tasered the crap out the entire band of stinky hippies. It's time for this crap to end.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I beg your pardon. Yes, entrance is free to the public. I hope my point remains; it is not 'public space' open to protesters with banners standing in front of the exhibits. The people who come to the Smithsonian from all over the WORLD come to see the exhibits, not to see the protesters.

I'll tell you this much; I've been to the Air and Space Museum once; while I was in the Marines. It was a special event for me; and I remember it well. If I had been stopped from viewing the exhibits by some banners unfurled by protesters, there would have been a punch-up. And frankly, I wish the DC police had tasered the crap out the entire band of stinky hippies. It's time for this crap to end.
Just a small correction. I agree wholeheartedly.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.
- Mark Twain Notebook, 1904

http://www.meetup.com/Occupy-Oahu/events/36302452/

Find somewhere near you and show them how it's done.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do you call them rest rooms when they blatently aren't? They are toilets, lavatories or loos lol! No wonder they are protesting, they are confused by coy Victorian euphemisms lol!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.
- Mark Twain Notebook, 1904

http://www.meetup.com/Occupy-Oahu/events/36302452/

Find somewhere near you and show them how it's done.

The fact that a movement is hated and scorned does not mean it it is patriotic, nor that it is righteous.

I've done all that could possibly be asked of me by my country, save die for it; my patriotism can never be put in question. And I've earned the right to call BS on those who have never served but claim to speak for me.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Who is telling you that the movement is hated and scorned? I'm right here...in it. No hate. No scorn. Only support.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm scorning it. Who else is? I am not a hater by nature, and these people are silly and annoying.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Putting on costume and killing people overseas does not equal serving the country or the people or anyone but the Wall Street string pullers who use the costumes to force others to do what they want. These costumes are part of what is destroying the country. The debt racked up to pay for the mess the costumes are a part of is stealing the wealth from everyone. Whilst the individual might be good and patriotic, it is false to extend this into the immoral costumed institutions.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Bill, I don't think anyone is defending The Pooper.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I'm half calling B.S. on this right here- and betting that's a homeless dude who has nothing to do with the Wall Street "occupation."

The car is marked 81st precinct, which is in Brooklyn, not Manhattan. In fact, it's Bed-Stuy, where-not for nothin'-they wouldn't take cops away from-maybe the cops are in Manhattan on overtime (wish I could see a better perspective on this to tell exactly where it is) but-except for the guy being white-this just might be in Brooklyn....

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The media hack job is obvious once you see it with your own eyes.

Latest Discussions