Bad things in Systema?

NYCRonin

Purple Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I tried to access that thread and was asked to join the site - and I really dont have the time, nor interest; to do so.

Overall, I personally would suggest that you contact this individual directly and ask why. MartialTalk has given us a forum for RMA, true -- but I dont think that we really are given it to discuss any such matters here.

Maybe this guy was booted for some reason -- until I know who we are talking about, I have no idea.

maybe I am being naieve, but I would rather, personally; to keep the threads here on a more open RMA line....and not get involved in the 'he said - she said'
muck that so many forums cater to. Such banter is rarely beneficial, overall.

Again, just my personal opinion.

Arthur

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I tried to access that thread and was asked to join the site - and I really dont have the time, nor interest; to do so.
It happens that I have an account there from a long time ago. I tried it out to see the thread... the account still worked... but the thread seems to be gone.

Overall, I personally would suggest that you contact this individual directly and ask why.
I respectfully disagree. I would instead sugget that if you are interested in RMA, and this school is in your area... you go down and see what they have to offer. Whether they are in this organization or that one, whether they are in good standing with a given organization or bad... none of it is really relevent to their skills as practitioners and teachers, and more importantly... what they can do for you.

Political agendas and ideology becoming more important than substance is enough of a problem in the rest of our lives. Is Iraq part of the war on terror or isn't... we won't know until its failed or suceeded, and that will in the end take many years. Is a teacher competent or incompetent, this cn be found out in a single evening. Political speculation is a far more laborious process in this case than seeking the immediate provable truth.

Grasp the individual power you have in this case to find out what is true.

MartialTalk has given us a forum for RMA, true -- but I dont think that we really are given it to discuss any such matters here.
I disagree again... but also agree at the same time. One of the nice things about martialtalk is its neutral ground. People should be aloud to ask whatever they want here. Its one of the only places they really can. On a RMA centric website, even if the admin/moderators wish to give complete freedom, reality is the homogenous nature of the members will likely shut down questions that are considered "out of the local norm".

I'm lucky enough to have already found RMA... but when I think back to my discovery process... if I were to have been met with evasion or a reticence to speak freely... I likely would have turned away.

Maybe this guy was booted for some reason -- until I know who we are talking about, I have no idea.
First let me say, I don't know who this person is. Let me follow that up by saying, I don't really think it matters. Regardless of who they are or why they are no longer part of a given organization... I can certainly predict this... they can do, what they can do! Maybe its good, maybe its bad, but their skills are their own, and whatever political issues exist between them and anyone else, it doesn't change what they can do.

and not get involved in the 'he said - she said'
muck that so many forums cater to.
oooh... you need to send me some links :ultracool

Such banter is rarely beneficial, overall.
Isn't that what the British said in the 1770's :wink:

Again, just my personal opinion.
Mine too. :idunno:

Arthur

NYCRonin

Purple Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Arthur,
Since neither of us knows the EXACT details of the reason this 'other forums' post was begun - -neither of can reply in anything but the widest of concepts. As you are the main guide behind one of the two most respected of Systema forums in N. America -- you know as well, actually even better than I; that some 'general posts' can reflect an agenda...and be very misleading -- though I dont believe that this posts starter has such.

Its almost like asking "Is war a bad thing"? Yes...it can be, but then again -- it might be the very best thing for all concerned.

The actual information of the post that you said was deleted would provide much to work with. We both know of guys who claimed to be Systema teachers that were told to, respectfully; stop doing so. Also, guys who were never qualified, as you and I are; to claim such authorization.

I also must agree about you point of 'politics' -- when i was a teenager, and a blackbelt in another m.art -- there was a major rift between the main starters of the "national karate federation' and within a short time, the leader of the art I was in actually wrote to a (then) major publication and announced that 'this and that guy' were no longer blackbelts in the art - as though they were stripped of their vast experience and knowledge along with their black cloth and papers. Since the post was started for a 'I read..in a forum..about" manner - and not from an "I actually wanted/ went to see if this guy was proficient.." point -- I, personally; feel that 'forum hearsay' has little to do with one on one investigation..investigation we BOTH believe is the proof of the pudding.

And, I also agree; that M.Talk has always been very open and neutral ground for a wide range of m.a. subjects -- but in this instance, I felt there was little to be gained by implying that an un-named person was no longer authorized to teach Systema....and had nothing else to go on -- no name, no personal knowledge of the guy..and thats why I suggested a personal contact with him, if possible. Just not enough exacts to go on..and nothing more.

As far as 'he said-she said' links go -- dude, you are far more an experienced surfer than I am. Hell, I would look to you for the answer to that question...also John 'poobear' Elliot, as well. You guys can 'hang ten' with the best of them!

Overall, I doubt that you would have received the post starting thread well on your own RMA site (www.RMAForum.com -- for those who want to look into this great site!). Although you also are very open (as is M.Talk) -- you also as for specifics, or the members there do.

I cant help but see this starting post as more of a 'he said-she said' type of thing...and since the other forums post seems to be gone, as you mentioned; perhaps the MODS there felt the same way as well.

Your reply raised valuable points for consideration, as always - my friend. As a MOD here, I really have no desire to restrict anyones investigations of the art we both love so much....there was just too much 'generality' for me not to advise direct contact with the party involved....and if it had been done, and posted here -- it might have spurred a lively discussion for all concerned.

OP
W

WillFightForBeer

Actually Arthur, I believe the school that they were talking about was yours. I couldn't decide whether or not to participate in that thread. Dave'll know more.

-Ilya

OP
W

WillFightForBeer

Just read the whole thread (which seems to be very much alive) and WOW!

There's ******** left, there's ******** right, there's ******** EVERYWHERE.

One guy claims he is going to a Russian SpecialForces training camp (Not Vlad's) with a Systema school who is in the "Russian Martial Art Hall of Fame".

Another guy is promoting RRB and claiming he can jump out of speeding cars onto asphalt.

Dave is trying his best to keep his cool and explain the situation.

I just burst and in two sentences tried to insult as many people as possible.

Wow. Read the thread. That's some goofy *** ****.

-Ilya

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One guy claims he is going to a Russian SpecialForces training camp (Not Vlad's) with a Systema school who is in the "Russian Martial Art Hall of Fame".

Gidduck's is very legit...and his students do make trips to Russian and train apart from Ryabko.

OP
R

RMACKD

From what I have heard Gidduck is a legit practicioner. On the thread it says that some schools were kicked out because they didn't come back to retest for being an instructor. Others just may have learned it from someone different or form other organazations.

OP
W

WillFightForBeer

Wow. Oh how eloquent Jim is. He comes in, insults everyone, talks, and takes all the credit.

Once I get my account back I'll post a little something, seeing as how somebody is impersonating me on the very same thread.

:jedi1:

-Ilya

OP
R

RMACKD

You mean the jimmy Lee guy? He never insulted anyone. You however seem to owe Gidduck an apology. Also why did you insult the Kachidikov style anyway?

NYCRonin

Purple Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh damn!
Here we go!

He said-she said.
You said-I said.
And then delivered to M.talks door, gift wrapped.

Its simple, I am lucky enough to 'MOD' this forum -- and its a trust that I hold dear. I am also a certed Systema instructor (whatever that may be..lol) -- but personally, I dont care for dirty laundry from ANY other forum to be aired here.

Still, as Arthur has noted and I agree -- THIS is an open forum and very very flexible in its manner and content.

You can ping pong the ball back and forth as much as you wish...in fact, please do so!

Just keep it within the bounds of civility.
AND - since I am so close to the issue and The System -- I will sit back and see what develops...though my fellow MODS are more than welcome to oversee this thread and suggest and comment.

Arthur

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Actually Arthur, I believe the school that they were talking about was yours.
Ug! Getting dragged into this type of crap is one of the reasons I decided to go independent. I've been able to access the thread now, and have read it.

Dave makes one comment about us not being officially affiliated anymore, and and somehow everything else in the thread starts getting associated with us (I've heard some things in some emails too, and gotten some interesting questions).

So let me take this opportunity to set a few things straight.

1. I am a certified instructor of Systema, and my credentials are still up to date.

2. I was not kicked out of the Systema organization. There was a period of a day where it looked like I had been "let loose". It turned out to be a misunderstanding. A few people who aren't sure what minding their own buisiness means, related to the Vasilievs that I had released an "official book and DVD on Systema" without having gottten official permission from Vladimir first.

Of course in reality, there was no book, and was no DVD, and after Vladimir and I discussed it, all was fine. I did however, request that my name be left off the affiliates list.

3. Vladimir is still my teacher.

4. I still teach Systema. I also teach a generic version of RMA alongside it, for those that learn better and/or enjoy being taught in some ways that aren't pure Systema. If you ask real nicely, I might even occasionally teach something else. ;-)

All that said, and having read the original thread in question... I think the initial overflow to here was a bit askew. Rob and I both answered a question at length, which I don't really think was much of an issue in the original thread.

Furthermore, what was I thinking when I said to Rob this should be a freezone... I'd made the mistake of thinking the RMA community had grown up. I guess I mistook a cease fire for peace. Upon further reflection, if I was the Mod here, I think I'd consider shutting this down.

Arthur
PS Just wanted to mention for the record... as to Ilya owing John Gidduck an apology... note the part in here where he mentions someone is impersonating him over there. It isn't him. Though, he may perhaps owe one somewhere else.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All that being said, feel free to talk about whatever you guys want, but as
NYCRonin said please keep it within the rules of the forum (and you have so far).

Arthur I still owe you a visit would you pm or email me and give me a class times and address again please
Sheldon

OP
W

WillFightForBeer

To whomever I owe an apology, consider myself having apologized.

However. Being a member of both the ROSS and Systema communities, I think it is allowed for me to say that IMHO something is very wrong with the RMA's.

They are the absolute best martial arts in the world. God knows, if I had the money I would study them 24/7. I love them more than I love......many things.

And to see some jackass insulting everyone, saying that Systema is a load of bull, and to see people come on and believe the poison spewing from his mouth, then that hurts me personally. My age is a handicap, but I got into the RMA's this early for a reason. As a newbie I recognized the declining quality of discussion, of comradery, of everything that holds the Arts together, and I knew that if I were to train I needed to train THEN!

I am not sure how Arthur feels about it, but he has taught me Systema, and from what little time I had I could only begin to understand just how amazing both the art and my teacher were.

Hopefully this is just a "hiccup in the process". Maybe a few years from now everyone will be at peace, but we are most certainly not on that path, and it saddens me deeply.

-Ilya

OP
W

WillFightForBeer

RMACKD said:
You mean the jimmy Lee guy? He never insulted anyone. You however seem to owe Gidduck an apology. Also why did you insult the Kachidikov style anyway?

No I don't mean the Jimmy Lee guy, I mean Jim King. Of course he finds it easy enough to not mention his last name out of "modesty" yet brag about his accomplishments.

I never insulted the Kadochnikov style.

-Ilya

NYCRonin

Purple Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK -- looks like I wont be resting on this thread...and thats very cool with me!

Arthur is as 'current' he says he is. He will ALWAYS be a part of the RMA (I do so dearly hope) and my friend (0f this fact - I have NO doubt). I would be in Boston ASAP if he ever needed my presence. He wont though -- but this offer will always stand! Arthur stands very well..on his own two feet!

BEER - no appologies necessary, from my point of view.

The Systema is simply experiencing the NORMAL growing experince....and in 41 years of m.a. -- man, I have seen it so often to know it is normal.

The problem with web talk is that it is rarely real time stuff -- and so often the reality revealed is very different than the written word, frozen in time. ^ months from NOW -- the thread might be resurected by another well meaning and curious soul. Limits of the medium. This soul will be very out of touch with real time.

And as far as Jim King goes....he is every bit as entitled to be himself as anyone else on the web is...and even as we are very close friends...he would be the first to admit that his writing style is abit forceful...but the man himself is very warm and human. As we all are, da?

The Systema community. It is changing, yet the 'crew' rides the waves as the multitudes swell the ranks. The older seniors will hang ten with any newbie -- and always be there for the true 'seeker'...thats been my experience.

John Guidduk. I really like the man -- he was responsabile for my trip to Russia in 2001, and he will always have my respect for that. Personally, again: I take such things to heart.

Overall -- as this forums direct MOD - I did not want to close this thread. The RMA is a VERY small component of the m.a. community -- and as long as we are respectful and civil -- why restrict the flow?

Systema..as an 'art'..and as a community -- is very new and unique!
The many members speak from their heart...and CAN handle the truth!
Growing pains are totally un-avoidable.

BUT - true respect and friendship...caring and personal growth --- is a very deep well to draw cool water from.

OK - I was thirsty...I am quenched for NOW! And its time to sit back and see what develops or watch this thread settle to the bottom.

A tempest in a vodka glass. Been there and done that before!

SonnyPuzikas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ilya- don't worry about Systema. Systema can take care of itself- as it does. Take care of own training and things important. As Rob mentioned- more than few, that are in Systema for some time are somewhat of a "uncivilised" in the manner of expressing opinions- straight and forcefull. Ilya- you are Russian... Word "mysl" (thought)- do you know the origins of that word?
Vladimir told me it comes from "my" (plural- we), meaning "I, myself" and "slivat"- meaning to pour. With some time in Systema, if you are honest with self, others and training, it can transform person, where he "pours himself" out, without concern of making it nice, politically correct or dressing it up as to hide real meaning. It's not an easy way in life and society to be like that- but it's right and honest. How the recipient of such opinion handles it- it is up to him. Seems like you took offense- this time because Jim guessed- not implied- that it could have been you posting some BS, and I'm guessing from some time back, when same Jim answered somewhat forcefully when you tried to coach him in the discussion. Don't hold grudges, Ilya. Find the reason for feeling that way- very often its within. And Jim being good friends with Vlad and one of the most skilled instructors under him- thats not credentials. Those are facts.
Cheer up, comrade... stay positive. It's Russian way. :partyon:

NYCRonin

Purple Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sonny is very correct!
You have a full lifetime to walk this way -- though you may not realize this yet...as we older ones do.

Time 'on the job' does give a certain perspective that youthful enthusiasm does not equal....and Illya, let your time serve you well. Be the 'good person' that is the Systema ideal...it is your cultural heritage, young rebel.

Do The Work...politics be damned! Shoot for the moon..for even if you miss..surely, you will land amongst the stars!

Sonny is very much in tune with the beat of Systema's heart....listen and learn...move into your future comfortably.

MattW

White Belt
Reaction score
You know, having read this thread, I would like to agree with Arthur when he said something along the lines of: What does it matter if someone is an affiliate of this organization or that organization? Its about his skill, not his franchise agreement and not the politics. If he is a good person, good teacher, and all around great guy, why not learn from him? If he was "booted" from an affiliation, that does not take away the fact that he may have a wealth of knowledge to share.

Hell, I heard from a couple places that Arthur was "booted" from the affiliation, but it doesn't matter if he is or wasn't, which he clearly wasn't. I think people should go to the source of the rumor and find the truth. Its a good thing Arthur was around to clear this up, because I know it was not the first time I've heard this. It just bugs me when people spread rumors that they hear down the grapevine without evening thinking about confirming them. Either way, Arthur is a brilliant martial artist and I wouldn't care at all if he was an affiliate of Vlad's or not.

Just my 2 cents.

OP
W

WillFightForBeer

Oh man!

God knows..........Arthur is the best teacher and martial artist that I have EVER had the fortune of meeting, and that I can EVER hope to meet!

This is a rumor that has surfaced numerous times through both private discussions and more public ones such as here.......and it doesn't change a thing.

Arthur still knows what he knows and teaches what he teaches, and boy, that's a LOT!

Oy! Sonny, you're right.......time to loosen up.
:partyon:

-Ilya