Back support for MA training

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
All,

I know I'm not the only one who has serious back issues but wants to train as regularly and as normally as possible. Does anyone use any back support during their training? It needs to be something sturdy enough to provide reasonable support but flexible enough to allow for vigorous movement and normal breathing. Any advice is appreciated.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
All,

I know I'm not the only one who has serious back issues but wants to train as regularly and as normally as possible. Does anyone use any back support during their training? It needs to be something sturdy enough to provide reasonable support but flexible enough to allow for vigorous movement and normal breathing. Any advice is appreciated.

I found this on the net I'a assume there are more
Neoprene Back Support - £13.00 : Playwell Martial Arts, The UK’s Largest Online Martial Arts Superstore | Est 1995
I dunno if it will work but anyway

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My only concern with neoprene is - it makes you sweat like pork in plastic. :)

I don't know which art you study, I can't think of any other material that actually won't make you sweat and be flexible enough and not restrict

Only other thing I can say is strengthen your core that may help the back I dunno and I'm no expert. You could try a chiropractor for advice he/she may have good advice

OP
AngryHobbit

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know which art you study, I can't think of any other material that actually won't make you sweat and be flexible enough and not restrict

Only other thing I can say is strengthen your core that may help the back I dunno and I'm no expert. You could try a chiropractor for advice he/she may have good advice
I train in one of the aikido styles - close to Ueshiba and Morita's styles. And I already have a chiropractor and exercise 4,5, sometimes 6 times a week, including cardio, strength, and core. My back problem is due to a skeletal defect, which cannot be corrected through surgery. So, even with all the exercise and regular chiropractic adjustments, pain often interferes with my training.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My only concern with neoprene is - it makes you sweat like pork in plastic. :)

Man, you're going to sweat. There's no getting around this. Sweaty pig or back pain. They make them in non neoprene, but you'll still sweat. I have like 7 different types of these back braces, because they work. Usually it's the lower back and sciatic nerve (or something) that gets hurt and these braces help a lot. Even for recovery when you're not training and just sitting at work. I pull it down to where 1/2 of it is below my hips.

OP
AngryHobbit

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Man, you're going to sweat. There's no getting around this. Sweaty pig or back pain. They make them in non neoprene, but you'll still sweat. I have like 7 different types of these back braces, because they work. Usually it's the lower back and sciatic nerve (or something) that gets hurt and these braces help a lot. Even for recovery when you're not training and just sitting at work. I pull it down to where 1/2 of it is below my hips.
True, that. I wear a flexible polyester corset top - I think that's like the lightest version of what's out there - and it does get sticky. May I ask which brand do you use? And which of the braces is the most versatile one?

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
True, that. I wear a flexible polyester corset top - I think that's like the lightest version of what's out there - and it does get sticky. May I ask which brand do you use? And which of the braces is the most versatile one?

1st brace was from Sports Authority, brand "Mr. David" or "Davis" I think $40 (I don't have access to them now). Worked the best, lightest, most supportive.

After that I saw that I needed to buy one for each day as I sweat a lot, stink, and a germaphobe, so I couldn't wear 1 more than 2 days w/o washing. I also needed to wear a clean 1 during recovery, at work, etc. I tried a $10 one from Walmart. It was a little heavier, much cheaper looking, a little less supportive, but fine, about a 7/10 (if the $40 one was 9/10). After that I bought 4 more. Then bought different brands that Walmart rotated in, usually $10-13. I think they were mostly made by Wilson. 1 was neoprene (bright red on inside, black on outside)....that worked the best for wearing all day w/less support (6/10), but more comfort. These were all bought over 10 years ago and they're all still working 75-85% of their new condition.

The chiropractor said it was the sciatic nerves. Felt like I had no support when sitting or standing where I had no comfort. Getting up from a sitting position was the worse...and walking right away to the kitchen, my back was still bent as it was too much to straighten it right away. This was mostly due to training 5-6 days a week 3hrs/day, too old, etc. It got better as I strengthen my core more, and trained much less BJJ now. I try to always wear them when training BJJ, that was the main culprit.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I use this in all my MA training even in my 3 miles running.

belt.jpg

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
OP
AngryHobbit

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
ok was just trying to think of safety no more sorry
Oh, no worries. It's a good point - a lot of us are so eager to prove ourselves and "tough it out" we actually end up causing more damage and putting ourselves out of commission. So, definitely something to keep in mind.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh, no worries. It's a good point - a lot of us are so eager to prove ourselves and "tough it out" we actually end up causing more damage and putting ourselves out of commission. So, definitely something to keep in mind.

Yes it is lol

I can no longer take ukemi but when I was fit I'd want to know if my uke had any worries etc before I went full out doing the big circle Kotegaeshi or a full on Irimi nage lol

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Woooo.... and some of them even come in pink! :)

Seriously, I'll need to go over these and figure out, which one would be the best for me. The full posture one looks tempting - but that's like a suit of armor. I still might get one for really bad days.

Glad I could help.

But if I may, you might want to look for one that is mud resistant :D

OP
AngryHobbit

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Glad I could help.

But if I may, you might want to look for one that is mud resistant :D
I actually have a separate support garment for mud runs. You don't want a whole lot of layers on you, because they all collect mud. It's bad enough we, women, have to wear more than men. :)

Latest Discussions