Baa Baa

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
BlackSheep said:
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! This is such a friendly place.

Drac, I’m not saying that all individual LEOs are on the private payroll of the rich. Although it’s true in a few cases I’m sure you aren’t one of them.

What I mean Drac, is that the police as an institution, maintain the status quo, which favors the wealthy elites. And that’s not a crock; it’s the way the world is put together.

What is a crock is the notion that the police are here to protect and serve the public. The courts have ruled that the police are not obligated to protect anyone and don’t even have to answer 911 calls.

I would like to point out that the original source from which the analogy of "sheep," "Sheepdogs," and "wolves" was taken from was a speech by Col. Grossman, the author of "On Killing." Col. Grossman was clear in his speech that sheepdog's did not have to be exclusively LE or Military; that it could be the private armed citizen. A "sheepdog" is basically anyone who takes personal responsability for the defense of themselves, family, and their community, at least according to Grossman. So you don't have to be Law Enforcement or Military to be a "sheepdog."

The analogy itself and the speech made no mention of "wealthy elites" or what you call "shepards." And, really, I am not so sure where a "black sheep" would fit in with the analogy either, considering that anyone can be a "sheepdog" regardless of profession.

But you are entitled to your point of view.

Welcome to the forum, Blacksheep. :)

Paul

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
BlackSheep said:
What is a crock is the notion that the police are here to protect and serve the public. The courts have ruled that the police are not obligated to protect anyone and don’t even have to answer 911 calls.

I have written extensively over the last week on the issue of "personal responsability" and self-defense, and how rightfully so it is the individuals responsability to protect themselves, not the police. Same as how my personal health is my responsability and not my doctors. If you do a search you might find some of my posts interesting.

As far as it goes, though, I don't think that personal responsability is a "crock."

Paul

OP
B

BlackSheep

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Only two posts and I’ve already offended the cops on this board. And without even trying I might add. I think BlackSheep is a good name for me.

I look forward to discussing the martial arts with you folks.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
BlackSheep said:
Only two posts and I’ve already offended the cops on this board. And without even trying I might add. I think BlackSheep is a good name for me.

And we with you. :)

Please feel free to start some discussions in the forums regarding your MA training and philosophies. You may also want to read a few threads to get yourself familiar with the people here. They are a great bunch of friendly, well informed, talented people from a variety of backgrounds that enjoy each others ideas and points of view.

Please also review our forum rules found here. It is a good place to start.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT BlackSheep. I like your analogy. Happy Posting!

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
BlackSheep said:

No offense taken on my end, just giving you some different insight.

:asian:

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, blacksheep! Look forward to seeing you around!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
BlackSheep said:

Not to worry, everyone gets upset, and everyone gets over it.

Just to let you know, I'm not a cop.

once again welcome

OP
B

BlackSheep

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to the board, have fun!
I am having fun!

And thanks for the warm welcome everyone, even from the cops. I hope there are no hard feelings. I meant nothing personal; analogies by their nature are gross generalizations. My comments were more about society than the police anyway. I included the police because they are significant in society. In a benign dictatorship police serve a beneficial role, democracy is a kind of benign dictatorship.

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
BlackSheep said:
I included the police because they are significant in society. In a benign dictatorship police serve a beneficial role, democracy is a kind of benign dictatorship.
I think to say the police are beneficial is to somewhat overlook the notion that with no police it's a fair bet that anarchy would prevail [even "normal" law abiders turned to looting following Katrina]. Assuming you'd agree that some form of policing is necessary to general order and every individual's personal liberty, what might your alternative solution or solutions to "the police" be?

BlackSheep said:
In a benign dictatorship police serve a beneficial role, democracy is a kind of benign dictatorship.
An interesting sounding idea that I'm not entirely conversant with. Will you elaborate?

Oh, welcome to MT! ;)

Respects!

OP
B

BlackSheep

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think to say the police are beneficial is to somewhat overlook the notion that with no police it's a fair bet that anarchy would prevail [even "normal" law abiders turned to looting following Katrina]. Assuming you'd agree that some form of policing is necessary to general order and every individual's personal liberty, what might your alternative solution or solutions to "the police" be?
The rule of law must prevail for there to be a functional society, so some form of proper policing is necessary.

But let’s not kid our selves here, just as the pot holes in front rich people’s homes are fixed before the pot holes in poor neighborhoods are, police departments provide better service for the rich than they do for the poor. And in many places the police are used to oppress the people.

In a benign dictatorship police serve a beneficial role, democracy is a kind of benign dictatorship.
An interesting sounding idea that I'm not entirely conversant with. Will you elaborate?
Democracy is sometimes referred to as the tyranny of the majority. Kind of like three wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.

Latest Discussions