Ayurveda - Traditional Indian Medicine

MahaKaal

Orange Belt
Reaction score
http://holisticonline.com/ayurveda/ayv_home.htm

Ayurveda intends to cure the patient rather then the illness, allowing each person to balance their body to obtain optimum health. Simple Ayurved can be done on a personal level by understanding what your Dosha is, and changing your lifestyle to compliment it, for example food, lifestyle, sleep pattern etc.

Ive only just started reading up on Ayurveda, if anyone practises it or has some good resources please share. :D

MahaKaal

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's a fascinating subject, Maha but it's one with which I have only a passing familiarity, largely garnered from a few yoga classes I took many moons ago.

The similarities with Buddhism and the general mysticism of many CMA is not a coincidence as it is widely thought that the Ayurvedic philosophy was spread to the East by Indian mystics.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
read a few good books before starting anything and note any differences of opinion. I only have some knowledge from books but with any new practice it is better to properly investigate before starting. Of course the best is to read a few books and get a teacher.

respectfully,
Marlon

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have had some aryuvedic massages while in India. They were to say the least fantastic! I also had the opportunity to hang out and train with a aryuvedic master who also was a Kalaripayattu Gurrakal! It is definately soemthing that is very, very interesting.
icon14.gif

David Weatherly

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have had some aryuvedic massages while in India. They were to say the least fantastic! I also had the opportunity to hang out and train with a aryuvedic master who also was a Kalaripayattu Gurrakal! It is definately soemthing that is very, very interesting.
icon14.gif

Good stuff, I've used aryuveda with great success.

That's a wonderful opportunity you had to study with a Kalaripayatt teacher. It's a difficult art to find practicioners of except in India.

David

Wild Bill

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have been doing some research and found this.

There is a total of 10 parts. Very interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good stuff, I've used aryuveda with great success.

That's a wonderful opportunity you had to study with a Kalaripayatt teacher. It's a difficult art to find practicioners of except in India.

David

Yes I was very fortunate to have the experience and also to have been in India to experience it.
icon6.gif

Dr.Alireza

White Belt
Reaction score
If you can't find Ayurveda massage in your area then look for Tuina massage as it is similar. and if you can't find that then try Acupuncture

destructautomaton

Green Belt
Reaction score
I just came back from india and i was actually learning the massage techniques in the south of india. The use of various oils either heated or cool as well as using the bottom of the foot was a totally different experience.

In India, each year during the monsoon season, the ayurveda doctors recommend each person spend two weeks getting the massages and readjusting their bodies and helping the cleanse and rebuild the body for the coming year.

blackdiamondcobra

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I will be heading back to india to live with my teacher as I do each year to learn and it has been an amazing experience each time.

Latest Discussions