Awesome training tonight

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So tonigh there wasn't as many people as normal only 8 of us (normally get around 15-30 people) so instead of doing the normal focus mitt class it was a full hour of sparring drills. Normally we do sparring drills for about 15 minutes to half an hour due to the time we can have the gym because its normally booked by a shooting club after us. But anyway since it was mainly advanced people it was loads of different drills and it was fun to do for that long a time but I did find it wasnt as tiring as a focus mitt session but just my observation on it.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Your dojo is larger than mine, our normal turnout is about 8. We do lots of sparring drills and controlled sparring but I'd like to see more free sparring. We only to do free sparring about twice a month.

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Your dojo is larger than mine, our normal turnout is about 8. We do lots of sparring drills and controlled sparring but I'd like to see more free sparring. We only to do free sparring about twice a month.
The thing is with our place we have a lot of people but a lot of times they don't turn up on the same nights like Tuesday we had 12 but yesterday we had 8 but apart from 3 of us they were all different people who weren't there Tuesday haha

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good stuff drills are more useful than free sparring because your actually working on your timing and technique free. Sparring for a lot of people it all goes out the window and use your old habits than learning anything new. For my entire career I think I free sparred a total of 4 times

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good stuff drills are more useful than free sparring because your actually working on your timing and technique free. Sparring for a lot of people it all goes out the window and use your old habits than learning anything new. For my entire career I think I free sparred a total of 4 times

From what I can gather you are pretty good at what you do as well. This makes me feel better about my own training cause I had some doubts. Yeah I noticed the whole out the window thing myself.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
The thing is with our place we have a lot of people but a lot of times they don't turn up on the same nights like Tuesday we had 12 but yesterday we had 8 but apart from 3 of us they were all different people who weren't there Tuesday haha

For us it's like the same 4 of us are almost always there. Then the other 4 or so change, the woman's and kids courses are what bring in most of the revenue but when it comes to the competitive success it is us few. I speak for about the others right now since I can't compete yet.

I mean I can if I enter solo and buy my own way in but I can't compete under their name until I hit another belt up.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
From what I can gather you are pretty good at what you do as well. This makes me feel better about my own training cause I had some doubts. Yeah I noticed the whole out the window thing myself.
Don't get me wrong it's fun to do and good cardio but its not essential to knowing how to fight I mean what If you were the only student of your coach. A lot of ufc fighters these days aren't even doing full sparring now because they realise that's where most head injuries come from. The sparring causes more brain damage than fights

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That sounds like a lot if class is only 3 times a week.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess my dojo is at the opposite end. We're small - about 15-20 adults total. Other than black belt class (I'm not there yet), we typically have 6-8 students.

We free spar just about every class. We're not full-contact/bare knuckle, but there's several of us who mix it up pretty good when we spar each other. It all depends on who's your partner that round.

I'd like more partner sparring drills and pad work, but I'm ok with how much we do.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We dedicate a day. So sparring is once a week.

Rolling or wrestling is done at the end of the applicable class.