Avoiding Takedown

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Reading the thread that MJS posted made me remember these anti grappling vids I seen a while back. I think they will be very helpful to any stand up fighters wishing to improve their skills against a grappler. I personally hate going to the ground, and these vids are great examples of how to avoid it.
---------------------------------------------------------------
But also remember that on the street, you poke in the eyes instead of pushing thier head with your palm, and if they get in close enough then start to bite immediately. Also, a good substitute for a underhook is an ear grab. As they are going down snag an ear and lift them back up, you can do this with one hand. Also, once you have an ear they will be focused very much on that ear, so make sure to finger jab the eyes and kick the groin.

Avoiding a takedown part 1

Avoiding a takedown part 2

Avoiding a take down part 3

Last edited by a moderator:

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a question regarding the sprawl as taught in the first video:

Why is it important to arch the back and drop the hip to the ground?

Also I notice he drops his knees to the ground during his sprawl.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's all about positioning, you want to drive the hips to the floor. If he doesn't arch, or he leaves his knees up the other guy will be able to get under him and complete the takedown.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reading the thread that MJS posted made me remember these anti grappling vids I seen a while back. I think they will be very helpful to any stand up fighters wishing to improve their skills against a grappler. I personally hate going to the ground, and these vids are great examples of how to avoid it.
---------------------------------------------------------------
But also remember that on the street, you poke in the eyes instead of pushing thier head with your palm, and if they get in close enough then start to bite immediately. Also, a good substitute for a underhook is an ear grab. As they are going down snag an ear and lift them back up, you can do this with one hand. Also, once you have an ear they will be focused very much on that ear, so make sure to finger jab the eyes and kick the groin.

Avoiding a takedown part 1

Avoiding a takedown part 2

Avoiding a take down part 3

Great points and very good clips! Having some defense against the takedown is certainly an important tool. Chuck Lidell seems to be very good at this as well. :)

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

Ybot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have a question regarding the sprawl as taught in the first video:

Why is it important to arch the back and drop the hip to the ground?

Also I notice he drops his knees to the ground during his sprawl.
It's all about positioning, you want to drive the hips to the floor. If he doesn't arch, or he leaves his knees up the other guy will be able to get under him and complete the takedown.
I partially agree with Andrew's answer, but there is more too it than that. IMO the back arch is good, but I think he was being a bit lazy by putting his knees down. His knees really should be slightly off the mat, and be on his toes. This does two things it inreases the pressure holding his opponent down (as does the back arch and driving your hips down BTW), and being on his toes makes movement easier. For example as a grappler I would think of running to the back, but as a striker think about throwing knees to the head... would you rather have your knees on the mat or up? Anyway, I think it was just a minor oversight because the sprawl was demonstrated slowly, and Frank was taking.

You should experiment with the sprawl position as it was shown here. Try it with your hips up and ask your partner how it feels, then try to drive your hips down. Try with your knees on the mat, then try with them just slightly off the mat (slightly because your still trying to drive your hips down). Anyway, with a little experimentation it's really easy to feel the difference.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A couple of things:

if they get in close enough then start to bite immediately

Be aware of the risk of blood borne diseases. Not saying people shouldn't bite, but be aware of the possible risks.

Also, a good substitute for a underhook is an ear grab.

Speaking from experience, getting a good grip on someones ear is harder than it sounds, and unless you have hands of steel, keeping that grip is very difficult as well. People intending to use ear grabs should definately practice them.

Rook

Black Belt
Reaction score
avoiding takedowns??? watch BJ Pen.

Cro-cop and Liddel probably have the best takedown defense... though Silva, Fedor, and Penn all have very solid defense too.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The basic principle is changing the shape of the attack after the person is committed, nothing more. If one understands how to do that, it won't matter if they try a takedown, IMO.

OP
DeLamar.J

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
A couple of things:

Be aware of the risk of blood borne diseases. Not saying people shouldn't bite, but be aware of the possible risks.

Speaking from experience, getting a good grip on someones ear is harder than it sounds, and unless you have hands of steel, keeping that grip is very difficult as well. People intending to use ear grabs should definately practice them.
Grabbing someones ear who is sweating alot is difficult too, but it can be done. I like to grab an ear like you would try to grasp a big handful of dirt, trying to dig in your fingernails. Also, an upward tigers palm going up thier nose as they are shooting down for your hips can bring a person back up.
As far as the bite goes, I feel that you should do whatever is needed at the moment and worry about it later. Thats just me, so I dont expect someone to feel the same way.